I always thought that DNS was just IP Adress of the Server "Translated" to the Domain.

But..Now, My teacher tells me that DNS is

The domain name system is chiefly used to translate hostnames into numeric IP addresses

In other words, I thought DNS was

IP Adress --> Domain Name

Now, my teacher is telling me it's

Domain Name ---> IP

Which is right?

It can go either way, it's just a large list of names and their associated IPs.

The most common is name -> IP.

When you type in a url in your browser, it sends off a DNS request to which the reply is the IP of the server hosting the site. That allows your browser to establish a TCP (or other protocol depending on the type of connection you want, HTTP, streaming media, FTP whatever) connecton to the server.

DNS allows heirarchical names to be used to access various information including BUT NOT LIMITED TO IPv4 addresses.

An IPv4 Address is 32bits and is used for routing packets through an IPv4 network.

A URL is a string which describes the location of a resource. It is a type of URI along with URNs, Different URL schemes have different requirements but most require a hostname which can be either an appropriate network address (like IPv4) or some easier name to be resolved into sutch and address (like a DNS name)

we are "running out" of 32 bit address, If i remember correctly if its not done already, people are working on a 128 bit address.

At first people said 32 bit address would be enough and we'd never run out, well now were running out :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, only a limited number left...so act now and get yours!

Today only...for $49.95, you to can have your own 32-bit IP address, so act now before this offer is gone.

Visa\Mastercard, Cash and Bank drafts accepted, no personal cheques please

Payable to "Chappy's Address Store" c/o Besttechie.net, New York, New York, 94215

Offer valid until Dec 30/05

we are "running out" of 32 bit address, If i remember correctly if its not done already, people are working on a 128 bit address.

At first people said 32 bit address would be enough and we'd never run out, well now were running out :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Today only...for $49.95, you to can have your own 32-bit IP address, so act now before this offer is gone.

Payable to "Chappy's Address Store" c/o Besttechie.net, New York, New York, 94215

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

am i being mocked? or are you just being sarcastic?

Either way...that would be a great marketing strategy

~Jose

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

am i being mocked? or are you just being sarcastic?

Either way...that would be a great marketing strategy

~Jose

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You Got Mocked the F*cK out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Running out is a subjective term,

there are more than enough IPv4 addresses for the internet to continue to grow for probalby a decade or two.

It's the distrobution of IP addresses that's the problem.

IBM owns the 9.x.x.x block, about 16.8 million addresses. Similarly a lot of the companies (and government agencies) involved in the early developement of the internet have massive 24 bit blocks of addresses allocated to them, many many times what they could ever hope to use.

So now developing parts of the world, china, india, africa, dont' have free access to the large numbers of addresses they might need. Even though there is lots of address space not yet used.

IPv6 in addition to of course providing an absolutely massive address space, seeks to define blocks geographically to ensure every part of the world has plenty of address space to expand into, even if their web infastructure is not yet well developed. And of course to fill out the shortcomings of IPv4.