how do i take a divx movie and uncompress it. yeah i know it seems weird that i'd want to do that, but in order to watch movies on my ipod in ipodlinux i need to uncompress the divx film first. the normal program i use can't deal with divx decompression, so i need to find one that does. anyone know of anythign? thanks

you can't decompress it, but you can reencode it to a differnt format; you will lose quality doing this. What format does it need to be in?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it needs to be in just regular .avi, not in the divx avi that needs special codecs to be viewed

I think you would call .avi, more of a wrapper(probably a wrong term), not really a codec. I guess I am trying to say there is no "regular .avi".

I did some quick googling, but could not find any specific info on which form of mpeg 4 ipod linux could handle, probably XvID

wel, as of right now ipod linux can only hand uncompressed .avi files that are set to a specific resolution and screen size, as well as audio bit rate. so i don't know where to go from there. im thinking i'll just give up on that movie, cuz i wouldn't wanna watch it on my ipod anyways, it's more jsut to say "hey guys, look at this, i bet your ipod can't play videos"

I am sure you already found this page, it seems to have some info. It seems only uncompressed avi video will work, or it has to be compressed in a special format. Sorry I do nto have anything more useful to tell you.

http://ipodlinux.org/Video_Player

edit added later//

I must have posted the same time as you

Edited by shanenin
wel, as of right now ipod linux can only hand uncompressed .avi files that are set to a specific resolution and screen size, as well as audio bit rate. so i don't know where to go from there. im thinking i'll just give up on that movie, cuz i wouldn't wanna watch it on my ipod anyways, it's more jsut to say "hey guys, look at this, i bet your ipod can't play videos"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is a good enough reason to do it :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is a good enough reason to do it :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah it was pretty cool today, a lot of jaws dropped when i was showing off video clips to people who had ipods just like me. they were jealous and couldn't understand how in the world i did it. i love it :)