Im building a system for my brother in law, well while im looking around on newegg for the cpu i figure a AMD 64 3500+ would be a good pick but im stumped on which core to choose Venice (219$) or ClawHammer (231$) im wondering would the difference of the core really make that much a difference

so far the set up is

CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939

Amd Athlon 64 3500+

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB)

DIAMOND GX800XLPCIEWB Radeon X800XL

Antec TRUEPOWERII 430W

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

PLEXTOR SATA DVD Burner Model PX-716SA/SW

the case,monitor,speakers,keyboard,and mouse are up to him to what suits him the best

Im building a system for my brother in law, well while im looking around on newegg for the cpu i figure a AMD 64 3500+ would be a good pick but im stumped on which core to choose Venice (219$) or ClawHammer (231$) im wondering would the difference of the core really make that much a difference

so far the set up is

CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939

Amd Athlon 64 3500+

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB)

DIAMOND GX800XLPCIEWB Radeon X800XL

Antec TRUEPOWERII 430W

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

PLEXTOR SATA DVD Burner Model PX-716SA/SW

the case,monitor,speakers,keyboard,and mouse are up to him to what suits him the best

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go with the Venice core. I believe the Venice core was a step-up from the Clawhammer core.

The Winchester, Venice and San Diego cores are all 90nm SOI, whereas the Clawhammer is 130nm SOI. The newer cores work on a lower voltage and power but still give good performance comparible to the previous cores, so they produce less heat.

The Venice core also supports SSE3 which previous cores do not support and this includes the Clawhammer.

Read more about Athlon64 CPUs at Wikipedia.