Make File Invisible!

Ok, im trying to make a SINGLE TEXT file on my DESKTOP INVISIBLE (i can get it without a name). I want to be able to do this WITHOUT the use of a program that starts up with windows.

Ok, i will even give everyone a visual aid.... ready....

BEFORE:

icon1.jpg

AFTER:

icon2.jpg

Changing the file attributes will not accomplish anything. The file is still reported by the filesystem and is shown in searches, readable by anyone and can have it's attributes changed by anyone with permission.

If you really want to hide the file I'd suggest using the file stream feature of NTFS. It will be completely undetectable without the use of some rare 3rd party utilities.

Edited by CataclysmCow

i need the file to be accessed, that txt file is generated when i watch a divx movie with media player classic. And i have dual monitors so i will just place it on the second monitor out of my way, not messing up my desktop. This way i don't have to delete it evreytime i watch a divx movie (wich i do frequently) its more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.... but still....

... If you really want to hide the file I'd suggest using the file stream feature of NTFS.  It will be completely undetectable without the use of some rare 3rd party utilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oo! Oo! What's "file stream?" How's it work? What's it for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll see them referred to as ADS (Alternate Data Streams). It's a feature of NTFS that allows you to attach multiple streams of information to an existing file. These streams do not show up in directory listings so the stream remains hidden. The stream is not part of the file it's bound to so the original file appears the same as well. If you create a 16MB stream onto a 1kb file the file will still appear to be 1kb.

The syntax for accessing streams is, filename:streamname

Say if I had a data file named logout.txt. I could create a stream called modlog.txt by referencing it as logout.txt:modlog.txt. Modlog.txt is now completely hidden "behind" logout.txt.

I'm not certain why, but copy.exe isn't ADS aware so you have to use another utility if you want to copy files onto streams. You can use the cp.exe app from the Windows 2000 resource kit. So if you wanted to hide a file you could do something like:

cp embarrassing.gif cmd.exe:embarrassing.gif

... Say if I had a data file named logout.txt.  I could create a stream called modlog.txt by referencing it as logout.txt:modlog.txt.  Modlog.txt is now completely hidden "behind" logout.txt. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhhhhh, yeah, Ok, I see-e-ee -- Nope, I'm lost. :wacko:

So "modlog" becomes 'attached' to "logout" as a sort of list of connected files ... and the only way now to use modlog is ... I dunno. Is this only a change in the file allocation table (or its equivalent)? Or is there some kind of physical file attachment? When you access logout is modlog is essentially ignored? Can you change/delete logout without affecting modlog? And vice versa?

i need the file to be accessed, that txt file is generated when i watch a divx movie with media player classic.  And i have dual monitors so i will just place it on the second monitor out of my way, not messing up my desktop.  This way i don't have to delete it evreytime i watch a divx movie (wich i do frequently) its more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.... but still....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So every movie you view generates a desktop txt file and that's what you want to make invisible?

There's no Windows option or funtion that could accomplish that (far as I know), it'd have to be an add-on.

Is there a way to suppress that file from being displayed via the program's options?

So "modlog" becomes 'attached' to "logout" as a sort of list of connected files ... and the only way now to use modlog is ... I dunno. Is this only a change in the file allocation table (or its equivalent)? Or is there some kind of physical file attachment? When you access logout is modlog is essentially ignored? Can you change/delete logout without affecting modlog? And vice versa?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In NTFS the "file allocation table" is called the MFT (FAT uses file allocation table), but you have the general idea.

When you take originalfile.exe and create a stream on it called streamfile.doc you essentially have 2 different files. They are completely independant of eachother except for the fact that streamfile.doc is referrenced by originalfile.exe. You can make any changes to originalfile.exe short of deleting it and it will not affect streamfile.doc in any way (and vice versa). originalfile.exe will function just as it always has and appear no different.

Think of it as files and folders. The original file is the folder and the streams are the files in the folder. You can make changes to the folder without affecting the files and you can change a file in the folder without affecting the other files or folder. The only affect the folder has on the files is in the way they are referenced. Just as c:\docs\email.txt is a way of referencing the file email.txt in the docs folder originalfile.exe:streamfile.doc is a way of referencing the file streamfile.doc which is a stream of originalfile.exe. The files are independant of eachother - one is just use to reference the other.

... Think of it as files and folders.  The original file is the folder and the streams are the files in the folder. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That analogy helps. However, try as I might, I can't think of a use for this function. It's not really meant to secure a file or hide it, is it? Or is it another way to relate files to one another, like the folder analogy? If so, why? What's wrong with folders? How would streams be an improvement? If it's useful, why ain't I heard of it? OK, that is all. For now. :blink:
That analogy helps. However, try as I might, I can't think of a use for this function. It's not really meant to secure a file or hide it, is it? Or is it another way to relate files to one another, like the folder analogy? If so, why? What's wrong with folders? How would streams be an improvement? If it's useful, why ain't I heard of it? OK, that is all. For now.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly don't know. I'd have to look it up which I probably will get around to one of these days. I've heard a lot of explanations of why, but none of them really made sense. A bit of it has to do with compatibility with Macs I believe, but don't take my word on that.

It can be usefull though; if you are confident enough to keep good habits and consistency.

You could use it to keep histories, explanations, details, etc. of the file in question. I use it primarily to keep notes on changes to versions and permissions of a file. When I update a file or change permissions I'll make a note in FileInQuestion.exe:history.log or FileInQuestion.exe:permissions.log. This way if I find myself called on-site and I find myself without my laptop with my notes I'm not up a creek. It's handy knowing that these "notes" will remain intact and not be fuddled with by other people. Another good use for it is for standalone programs that need a configuration file. For example a lot of my network tools are just one .exe, but need a lengthy config file for each scenario. I can just latch on those config files to the .exe itself - like nbtscan.exe:config1 nbtscan.exe:config2 ... etc..

I'm sure there are much more productive and complex ways of using ADSs, but I haven't come across any examples. Probably because so few people have heard of ADS and it's annoying working with them when some programs aren't ADS aware.

I figured out on XP how to make an invisible folder on the desktop, no external programs or registry hacks required. Perhaps this could be of help? I'll come back a little later and post a link to a recorded video that shows how to make an invisible folder (Provided I can figure out how to convert it from MNG to DivX).

Edited by Torin_Darkflight
I figured out on XP how to make an invisible folder on the desktop, no external programs or registry hacks required. Perhaps this could be of help? I'll come back a little later and post a link to a recorded video that shows how to make an invisible folder (Provided I can figure out how to convert it from MNG to DivX).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about just a list of steps?

How about just a list of steps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, just writing out the steps would make it too easy to get lost in the process, especially when some of the steps are difficult to explain with words alone. On the other hand, a video shows exactly where to click and what to do, and it is very easy to follow along.

BTW, I just converted the video, and I'll post a link once I get it uploaded.

Ok, here's a link to the video that shows how to make an invisible folder:

http://www.animaltracks.net/~torin/Misc_Ju...ble_Folders.avi

Forgive the poor quality, the only "video editor" I have is actually a crude GIF editor that somehow happens to also support video files.

BTW, two points I forgot in the video: when typing ALT+0160 to rename the folder, the numbers need to be entered on the numberpad, not the row of numbers at the top of the keyboard. Also, the icon label drop shadows must be enabled for it to work (Control Panel, System, Advanced tab, Click "Settings" under the Performance section, make sure "Use drop shadows" is checked at the bottom of the list). I plan on making a quick webpage with screenshots sometime in the future, and I'll make sure to include all this info on there.

And yes, I realize this is nowhere near DOD-level security, but it should work at hiding stuff from casual or novice users.

ok, i just went off the basis of the folder vid, downloaded an icon chaning program. Made the icon blanked. Moved the file into a white area so that the filename was still there so it could be accesed by Media player classic. And im happy. thanks.