I'm Back.......

OK folks I rode the storm out about 60 miles from the eye.... wasn't tooo bad. Family all ok. Got some water damage in my home where rain was forced in, I live in a mobile home. Home is still there, wow. Pop in law has missing steel from nis roof, plywood is still intack but leaks. He is getting water backed up in his yard from runoff.

Over all, all is good.

Has anyone heard from tg, he lives in kinder,la closer to the path.

M

Thanks so much for checking in!!!!!

Wow, Mike, to survive the storms in a Mobile Home--phew! My parents have one in Florida and I know those get washed out first.

Only powerless for 12 hours, Handplane, that's great!! Now you need to know that I live in an area where we can lose power for 12 hours on a beautiful summer day <_<

I rolled through the "batten down the hatches" thread and it looks like we need to watch for TG, Lamuskrat, Jeffrota (he still might be out of there, he evacuated before Katrina) and Bubbabob (he's from "Texasss") and of course any others I'm forgetting.....y'all check in now, y'hear??

Liz

Advice to anyone who lives inn an area that may lose power for more than a day or two.

Get a generator and a transfer switch. Wire this and you will have electricity as needed to lights and fans throughout the house, the transfer switch keeps power from going back into the grid.

M

Glad you made it ok Mikex and all the others. And yes, I you can afford even a small generator it's well worth it. (even if you don't hook it up to a transfer switch, you can run a few heavy duty extension cords to provide lights and a few other things.) Crock pot, coffee pot, radio, etc.

Local electric companys are looking up to 3 weeks before some clients come online. Major transmission lines feeding the area have been downed on two sides. This meansthe can't route energy from other sources around the "bad" spots. Their other routes have damage.

Pray for no rain and cool days. We have to clean up but many don't have drinking water from the tap. We are having to get bottled water and ice.

I want to send out a THANK YOU to all military personell in the area and their families. These families are missing out on loved ones.

Also we have electric companies from as far away as Tampa, FL assessing damage.

Local law enforcements have nightvision capabilities to sit in the dark and watch for looters. On the news confrence the law enforcement is saying you will be locked up with no electricity and will have to wait untill the city government is up before<my take> they deal with your lazy thiving good for nothing *ss. </my take>

We have a major oil/gas service port leveled. Cameron, LA served the oil/gas industry in this area, many companys are affected.

click me damn strange.

Mike

Edited by mikex
OK folks I rode the storm out about 60 miles from the eye.... wasn't tooo bad. Family all ok. Got some water damage in my home where rain was forced in, I live in a mobile home. Home is still there, wow. Pop in law has missing steel from nis roof, plywood is still intack but leaks. He is getting water backed up in his yard from runoff.

Over all, all is good.

Has anyone heard from tg, he lives in kinder,la closer to the path.

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mikex, glad to hear that you came through it safely! Thanks for the update. I hope your home isn't too badly damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you made it through OK, mikex.

Same here.

Just got power up, late last night.

Considering how close the eyewall came (20 mi.), I made it through pretty good.

We got 80-100 mph sustained winds, gusting to 115.

Lost a couple of shingles, and a couple of small branches.

Neighbors weren't so lucky.

Some lost whole buildings.

A tornado passed behind the house, and took out several telephone poles, and the neighbors cow barn, but missed his house.

Heard it pass while I was outside watching the hurricane come through, about 4 a.m. Friday morning.

Talk about a racket.

Had no problem hearing it, over the hurricane.

The wall of bamboo (15' thick, 40' tall) on the south & west side of my property, forced most of the winds over my house.

Kinder took a beating.

Lots of damage.

I'll post some "day after" pics when i get a chance.

Glad you made it through all right.

Glad to hear from you tg1911 We all here have been wondering if you made out OK.

Still waiting to hear from Jethro, I think that is his name. He left before Katrina. Haven't heard from him since. At least I have not seen anything on here. Hope he did not have too much damage if any.

Barb

Thanks for checking in, TG, we have been worried about our members in the hurricanes' paths.

You just now got power???? Wow, that's a long time to be "camping". Ugh, a tornado, too? Been through one once and not fun--you're right, that noise is unforgettable, isn't it??

So glad you're safe and sound!

Liz

Good to be back, robroy.

I thought I would post some pics, of some of the damage done by hurricane Rita, in my area.

These were taken the morning after, when we were still getting occasional showers, and winds gusting to 50 mph.

Damage wise, I lucked out.

I lost about a dozen shingles, and a couple of small branches, near the house, nothing major.

On the corner of the lot, I lost a large limb out of one of my pine trees.

Across the road, a pine tree was blown down.

Oak branch, down in back yard.

Chicken tree branch, down in the front yard.

Front yard looking east. The front steps is where I was sitting as Rita passed through.

Front yard, taken from the front steps.

Another view from the steps.

Leaves stripped off of bamboo.

Dead tree blown over.

Road flooded almost to my driveway.

Broken Pine limb, on corner of property.

Closer view of same limb.

Downed tree, across the road from Pine, with broken limb.

While I was outside during the storm, about 4:30 a.m., I heard a tornado behind the house.

It downed a couple of telephone poles, and hit one of the neighbors cow barn.

Luckily, it missed his house.

Downed telephone pole.

Another downed pole.

One more snapped pole.

Neighbors cow barn. Notice the gate on top of the barn.

These next images are from my closest (1/4 mi.) neighbors property.

Rent trailer, pushed 5' of it's blocks.

Downed tree, in front of storage shed.

A different view.

Part of roof, blown off of combine barn.

Colapsed roof on combine barn.

Another view.

One more view.

Tin, blown off of work shop barn.

View from other side.

A small tree fell on the house, causing minor damage.

Another neighbor's property.

Was, a two car garage, and a gazebo.

What's left of the gazebo

A tree that fell between his house, and his son's trailer.

The next images, are of the town of Kinder.

KinderDamage_01

KinderDamage_02

KinderDamage_03

KinderDamage_04

KinderDamage_05

KinderDamage_06

KinderDamage_07

KinderDamage_08

KinderDamage_09

KinderDamage_10

KinderDamage_11

KinderDamage_12

KinderDamage_13

KinderDamage_14

KinderDamage_15

KinderDamage_16

KinderDamage_17

Although you wouldn't know it from listening to the national news broadcast, Rita caused major damagr to southwest Louisiana.

The city of Cameron, in Cameron parish (a parish is the same as a county, in other states), took the full impact of the storm.

95% of the city was leveled, with flood waters still remaining in parts of the city.

The town of Holly Beach (the Cajun Riviera), west of Cameron, was literally, wiped off the map.

100% destroyed, with only the water tower remaining, no buildings.

Calcasieu parish, north of Cameron, also sustained heavy damage.

Until a few days ago, both parishes were closed to all incoming traffic.

The National Guard was stopping traffic, and turning them back.

They're both, still under curfew.

Power still hasn't been restored completely, to either parish.

A local news station has a good Photo Gallery of the destruction caused to Calcasieu, and Cameron, parishes.

Amazingly, not one single life was lost to Rita, in Louisiana.