Say Something Nice About Somebody ...

I've previously complained about outsourced tech support and the difficulites that entails.

When I started my system up today the DSL modem would make the DSL connection but would not connect with my ISP. I tried a bunch o' things with no succes, decided to unplug it for a while to see if it would reset, again, with no success.

I called tech support, got someone with an accent (ahem) and even though all she really did was use the step-by-step script, it worked! Perfectly! Easily! With no mis-communication, no frustration, no talking down to me as if I didn't know anything, no asking me to do stupid unrelated stuff. Just: Do this, do this, do this and do this, while answering, without a hint of attitude, any questions I had along the way.

Near as I can tell (ahem) her name was Linit: Thank you Linit.

I'll post two.

First,thanks to all of you guys and gals for making a refugee from that other place feel welcome.

Second,the guy at Best buy who actually knew his stuff and really helped me on some recent purchases. Wasn't pushy and didn't try to sell the most expensive,just gave me his opinion and some good info. If they had more like him I wouldn't feel like I need camouflage when I walk in!

Id like to thank microsoft for having a decent wireless system and windows update, after 3 weeks of battering my brains out trying to fix it, i used windows update got a new driver for the wireless, and started using windows wireless configuration tool, and it works so smootly its frictionless.

Pierce

I have to say when I was with bellsouth I had good customer techs. I learned to take a second to ask how things were going with them and use their first name whenever possible. Gets to a personal level this way, one friend helping another.

If I had a lull while rebooting I would talk to them about football or other national events. Breaks the ice. When finished I would joke with them about billing knowing they had no control, like I would send them cajun food or something if they discounted my bill for the problem.

And if it was a lady I would remark at how smart she was for being a high school student, because she sounded so young.

M

I've previously complained about outsourced tech support and the difficulites that entails.

When I started my system up today the DSL modem would make the DSL connection but would not connect with my ISP. I tried a bunch o' things with no succes, decided to unplug it for a while to see if it would reset, again, with no success.

I called tech support, got someone with an accent (ahem) and even though all she really did was use the step-by-step script, it worked! Perfectly! Easily! With no mis-communication, no frustration, no talking down to me as if I didn't know anything, no asking me to do stupid unrelated stuff. Just: Do this, do this, do this and do this, while answering, without a hint of attitude, any questions I had along the way.

Near as I can tell (ahem) her name was Linit: Thank you Linit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm....that's a tough one.

I recently remodeled my kitchen and adjoining room. Started in Feb, almost finished in Aug.

I did most of the structural work myself. Also rewired most of the house, and repiped the kitchen water and brought gas into the kitchen for my new Viking Range. Also built a closet.

I subbed out the drywall, (I removed all the old crap and killed myself removing two pickup trucks full of rat infested 50 year old insulation.

That was REAL fun!

I also subbed out the painting and tile floor removal and installation and granite installation

I installed all the new appliances, new can lighting, under counter lighting, kitchen sink, faucet, dishwasher, range, vent hood, etc. I did not do the cabinets,

Just about everyone that I hired to help was a problem.

I hired a painter, drywaller, tile installer, cabinet installers and granite installers

Had major problems with every one of them.

Didn't show up for days, brought the wrong materials. The cabinet guys were the worst.They would work for a day or two and then decide that they had the wrong molding or something. They'd have to order that. When I asked when they would be back the stock answer was "Two Weeks".

That went on for 5 months.

OK. Now for the good rant.They're all gone!

After paying for everything and taking 5 months off of work to do my end of the work, I have enough left for a cup of coffee. The place looks spectacular though.

I still have a few lights to install and I have to install the door on my new closet.

I started out making a blog back in Feb. but quickly got overwhelmed with all the work and frustration.

I'm going to add to it in the next few days.

Joe

So the kitchen's DONE, Joe??? Hooray!!!!! I know from experience that's an awful job, and my little renovation was simple compared to yours............where's the pictures? :)

:) My antirant :)

Well of course, this place! Being a forum lurker, I discovered there is so much infighting in forums and it just never occurs here, it truely is "the nicest place on the net". And you folks put up with clowns like me :wub:

When Son bought his car, the dealer was wonderful--a true breath of fresh air after dealing with carsalespeople for 3 weeks. They dropped the price to accomadate his budget, but more importantly, the manager talked to SON, not the parents. He walked him through the contract, explaining everything to him and telling him things like, "if you buy another car and the salesman doesn't have you sign this, he is ripping you off....always make sure you leave with this item", etc. etc. The manager made a point of teaching Son how to buy a car and treated this goofboy like his own.

And you bet, we sent a thank you letter!!!!

Liz

I'll have to say Thank You to my ISP, Cable, Phone provider now called PrarieWave. Showed up at my house yesterday and reported a drop in my service. (never noticed anything) They replaced the box on my house that controls everything and informed me that they are upgrading their H.Speed Cable Internet service. From 100.0Mbps to 150.0Mbps or better. And there won't be an increase in my billing. YAY!!!

Okay, great idea for a thread.

I have a local computer store near where I live called Data Boy, a small time, friendly operation. About 6 months ago I bought a CD burner from Data Boy for one of my computers, everything was going fine, but, then suddenly the burner died.

I didn't think this was a problem as I knew I had the original receipt........but.........I couldn't find the @#&**%%% receipt! I was completely thunderstruck when I took my unit in and asked them to replace my burner fully expecting to pay the damages. They honoured my warranty even though I didn't have a receipt for proof of sale.

Needless to say these guys have my technology business and the positive word of mouth that their kindness generated. They displayed a keen business sense in that they looked beyond their immediate bottom line.

I have to say. Thank God for "good" neighbors. No, *GREAT* neighbors.

My 80 years young Mom hired a handyman to fix a window and few other things around her house. Almost two years later he's still there and she's fit to be tied. Although many needed things got done around the house, many other things weren't quit right. Like he somehow managed to ruin two cars. Her pantry, cupboards and fridge were all but empty. (she "always" had tons of food around, a depression era thing) And when I arrived last Tuesday, all she had was $5 to her name until SS check came in. Believe me, she always had a $100 or so stashed somewhere.

Her neighbors contacted a cousin, who in turn got a hold of me last Monday. We were there Tuesday before noon to take over. The neighbors, (several have been there decades) were on her step in a heartbeat. Explaining what they had observed and tried to do on their own. She refused to give them my address and phone number, because she didn't want to bother me.

Long story short, her car is back, "he" is gone, a PPO has been taken out, locks have been changed on the house and car, and she is on a vacation in Denver for two weeks with another cousin. And I'm following some things up about his drug use and back child support. I'll see him in jail or hell before I'm finished.

Thank you, neighbors who care everywhere! You will be rewarded 1000 fold for your kindness.

• 2 weeks later...
I say something heartfelt that on any other board would be considered "flame-bait" but here, on a board chock full o' maturity, I'm told they understand what I'm trying to say!      :blink:

Thanks Liz.      :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Hello everybody.

My rave goes to everyone here and especially those who migrated from the TTV boards to this on and to the creator of this forum.

I'm in the merchant marine so I'm off-line for weeks at a time (hands shaking even thinking about it!) and it seems like every time I came back there was some sort upheaval going on over there. It's very nice to see some of the regulars that I haven't seen much of (sidekickcat,marsh ox, ect) over here giving out good advice.

Heck even the Terrorist got his name back.

So now I can peruse a forum without sifting through the "G4 sucks, long live TTV" or the "I love Leo" threads.

I still read the "call for help" board over there but sure am rapidly enjoying this one.

Ah, Shucks, Jdoors, thank you so much!! Today my kids were making me out to be "the wicked witch of the west", so your comment made my day. :wub:

And welcome to Besttechies, luvIPA! Yes, most of this community consists of "the voices of reason" from G4 and Leoville, who have become fed up with the antics over there or simply come here to relax a bit. Look thru the "members list" here, you'll be astonished with how many you recognise! Hope to hear more from you when you have access to the Net.

Liz

Welcome aboard the greatest boards around anywhere. I think you will find you know a lot of us refugees though many are from all sorts of places on the web. Jeff is BestTechie who started this wonderful place for us all. You might remember him as Beluga from TTV and G$. Try clicking on the members thing at top next to the calendar of the page to see how many you recognize.

(Has anyone noticed how bad the G$ boards get when it is around the full moon?)

Also a time saving tool is the View New Posts thing on line below the members/calendar etc. It brings up all the active threads since your last log on, then click on tiny little red square to see the unread posts (really helps on huge threads like the word association etc.) And do visit the cafe, and if you want a drink the bar is next door to the cafe. Don't trip over/step on or sit on the cafe's tiny mascot pup, "Honeybun". Watch out for the pool, and don't run into Liz/Blim. She tends to fall in the pool every now and then but has the alligators tamed now. Ha! Lots of good friendly gab both places and elsewhere around here. Gee there are even tech sections around here...somewhere... oh I see them over there...lots of good tech helpers.

Glad to have you over here.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

• 1 month later...

I'm thankful for Jeff/Beluga and all the great people here at BestTechie. I am also greatful for Mac for doing the temporary boards for us. So Thank You Everyone. :wub: Happy Thanksgiving!

And I posted this over on the gas price thread but think it should go here to to show what someone did that totally blessed us with his help.

Quote from other thread's post of mine.

I just want to tell folks about something that happened last night to my hubby as he was ready to leave the Intel Ronlier Acres campus in Hillsboro after work. Found he had a flat tire, and wasn't looking forward to changing the tire to the wimpy spare that passes for a tire that cars have nowadays, and a man showed up with a can of something to fix the flat. WoW! He said he had never used it but wanted to see if it worked, so he put it in tire, and it worked!!! Then my hubby thanked him and tried to pay him for it, and he wouldn't let him. What a blessing he was! I don't know if my hubby told him or not, but he's been having a real painful neck and shoulder with limited range of motion for awhile lately. So he was not looking forward to tire changing at all. Anyhow it was hurting him so badly on Monday evening that we went to Kaiser urgent care and the xrays show quite a bit of arthritis stuff to neck/collarbone/shoulder. Got some temp pills to help with inflamation, and pain. So what a blessing that man was to help him with tire the next night. So hubby went over to the nearby Les Schwab tire chain (NW) and they checked tire out thoroughly (at closing time too), and found it was the valve stem, so they replaced valve stem...for free!!! WoW!!! So what a blessing all that was for hubby. Definitely will be getting some of that canned 'fix a flat' stuff for emergencies, and of course will be helping others when we see them in need.

Happy Thanksgiving, drive safe, don't eat to much, and bring back the leftovers for us all.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Canned "fix-a-flat" is great stuff. BUT! Those of us in freezing climates can't keep it in the car. The dang stuff freezes.

But God bless that man. Little does he know how far his act of kindness has traveled. And how many blessings he will receive.

Edited by bozodog