Win Xp Activation Problem

I replaced my hhd almost 60 days ago. I had to reinstall XP .... I put my old wpa.dbl and wpa. bak in while in safe mode and all was well. No activation prompt.

Now all of a sudden XP says I need to activate in 6 days. I tried putting my old file back in while in safe mode but something keeps modifying the wpa.dbl file.

What is going on? Where is it getting the info to modify the file? Can I get it to accept the old file again? :(

Thanks

It won't reactive again I had to format the drive a couple of times and now it tell me I can't reactivate.

This really pisses me off to have to go through this. Since that wpa isn't valid what can I do.

I got this copy from a friend with several keys. I will call him to find out what the deal is, but I really hate the idea of having to go to microsoft to ask for more activations. No way in hell will I purchase another copy.

What to do? :blink::wacko::unsure::angry2:

"I got this copy from a friend with several keys. I will call him to find out what the deal is, but I really hate the idea of having to go to microsoft to ask for more activations. No way in hell will I purchase another copy."

So, your using this illegaly but still refuse to buy another copy?

I see MS's new anti-piracy efforts are at work on your system. Even if you get the different keys to work for you. As soon as you hit the update site and it installs the Genuine Windows Advantage tool. (first thing it does now). Most of your updates will get cut off. If you have a legit disk. Just call MS and talk to them. They will tell you how to get it going. And there not as bad as people think.

It won't reactive again I had to format the drive a couple of times and now it tell me I can't reactivate.

This really pisses me off to have to go through this.  Since that wpa isn't valid what can I do.

I got this copy from a friend with several keys.  I will call him to find out what the deal is, but I really hate the idea of having to go to microsoft to ask for more activations.  No way in hell will I purchase another copy.

What to do? :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure:  :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You complain that you hate their software yet you steal it. Either buy a license for it or switch to something else. It will reactivate with a current activation code, a free phone call to msft wil get you that...since you seem to feel entitled to everything else free you might as well take them up on their offer of a free phone call.

"I got this copy from a friend with several keys. I will call him to find out what the deal is, but I really hate the idea of having to go to microsoft to ask for more activations. No way in hell will I purchase another copy."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend legally purchase those keys thank you very much. .... and no I will not purchase another copy.

I personally do not see the problem with activation. Microsoft only had to add activation because so many people steal it(not saying you are). If there was not a severe problem with people stealing microsoft windows, they would not have to add activation. They seem very lenient on activating questionable stuff. I originally had windows preinstalled on my hp computer, which I later installed linux on it instead. I built a new computer and used the key from my old hp computer. It did not want to activate(imagine that). I called microsoft and told them what I did, they were happy to let me use the old key on the new computer.

I probably have a few copied(stolen things) on my computer. I probaly use them because I can(they work, I am to cheap to buy them). I do not for one second think it is ok, its theft. I definately do not think it is even ok to steal from microsoft

@spirittoo

this post was not directed at you, I just felt like ranting

This really pisses me off to have to go through this.  Since that wpa isn't valid what can I do.

I got this copy from a friend with several keys.  I will call him to find out what the deal is, but I really hate the idea of having to go to microsoft to ask for more activations.  No way in hell will I purchase another copy.

What to do? :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure:  :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You complain that you hate their software yet you steal it. Either buy a license for it or switch to something else. It will reactivate with a current activation code, a free phone call to msft wil get you that...since you seem to feel entitled to everything else free you might as well take them up on their offer of a free phone call.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always find it quite amusing when thieves get mad because it no longer is easy to steal. In the long run it will be less of a headache to just buy a copy of XP.

Could he not have purchased a OEM version cheaply with the new HDD?

I like your suggestion of another OS I think it is about time to look into Linux, BeOS, or BSD. I doubt that the poster being a thief would want to expend the energy to learn any other OS; but I bet it is much easier than fending off a gang rape should he end up in the pen for Software piracy. I hope this post makes he or she mad enough to take stock in the situation and turn around and join the the civilized world (the one where you work and pay for what you need).

Preston

@spirittoo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks I appreciate that. I didn't come here to be accused of stealing. I came here for help.

I don't appreciate those that know nothing of my situation accusing me of stealing.

I don't like what MS is doing because it's further proof that our rights are being tossed to the wayside in favor of corporate profits. I know they have a right to protect their product but not at the expense of my rights.

If I have to go to MS I will but I don't like the idea of having to do it everytime I update my machine.

That was my rant .....

Thank you for your time. :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend legally purchase those keys thank you very much. .... and no I will not purchase another copy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your freind legally purchased the keys. Does he have installed copies on XP using those keys? if he does and gives it to you then it is a illegal copy (one copy one machine). Do yourself a favor and by a copy and stop trying to beat the system.

I always find it quite amusing when thieves get mad because it no longer is easy to steal. In the long run it will be less of a headache to just buy a copy of XP.

I like your suggestion of another OS I think it is about time to look into Linux, BeOS, or BSD. I doubt that the poster being a thief would want to expend the energy to learn any other OS; but I bet it is much easier than fending off a gang rape should he end up in the pen for Software piracy. I hope this post makes he or she mad enough to take stock in the situation and turn around and join the the civilized world (the one where you work and pay for what you need).

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What part of my friend purchase the keys legally didn't you understand? It is ignorant of you to make assumptions. :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your freind legally purchased the keys. Does he have installed copies on XP using those keys? if he does and gives it to you then it is a illegal copy (one copy one machine). Do yourself a favor and by a copy and stop trying to beat the system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said he legally purchase the keys and no he does not have installed copies on XP using the key he gave me. He got a special license with MS because he works on computers. He was given several keys with his license, and give one key per computer ... so my key is not being used on another computer.

No one is trying to beat anything. If you don't have any help to offer go about your own business. I'm not here to waste my time with your accusations. :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said he legally purchase the keys and no he does not have installed copies on XP using the key he gave me. He got a special license with MS because he works on computers. He was given several keys with his license, and give one key per computer ... so my key is not being used on another computer.

No one is trying to beat anything. If you don't have any help to offer go about your own business. I'm not here to waste my time with your accusations. :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

since you have a legal copy, JUST CALL THEM. It is hardly infringing on your rights. Why would you care that they are trying to protect their product. 10 minutes out of the day will not infringe you to bad :-)

Edited by shanenin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You did not make that completely clear in your other posts. And did I not apologize for my pointed remarks? (and you angry icon won't make me go away I just wanted to make sure you are not wasting our time trying to get someting illegaly) So again I offer an apology to you.

You did not make that completely clear in your other posts. And did I not apologize for my pointed remarks? (and you angry icon won't make me go away I just wanted to make sure you are not wasting our time trying to get someting illegaly) So again I offer an apology to you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I accept your apology .... I wouldn't ask someone to do something illegal. That's not my style. I'm just not happy with our current situation but like I said in the new thread that's another fourm .... it's obvious I have to call ..... from what shanenin posted I won't get hassled ... it's just the principle.

I think you are right. I need to learn about another OS. I started a thread on the Linux fourm. I'm going to check into it.

... I don't appreciate those that know nothing of my situation accusing me of stealing. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And here is why you are in the wrong: We only have what you have stated so far to go by and from what you have stated your setup is illegal (this argument can go on and on with everyone getting p.o.'ed so let's just say you've justified what you've done and most of us disagree).

Call MS, if your copy is pefectly legal, and you have repeatedly said it is, they will work with you to get your copy activated. FOR FREE. That is the standard, accepted procedure when the activation expires due to significant changes in the system.

Edited by JDoors

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I accept your apology .... I wouldn't ask someone to do something illegal. That's not my style. I'm just not happy with our current situation but like I said in the new thread that's another fourm .... it's obvious I have to call ..... from what shanenin posted I won't get hassled ... it's just the principle.

I think you are right. I need to learn about another OS. I started a thread on the Linux fourm. I'm going to check into it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a sad sign of the times. It gets tougher and tougher for the honest folks. I had as much to do with that as anyone else. When P2P became popular back in the day it was like Christmas little did we know that we were cutting our own throats. The consequences from back then are unreasonable copy protection, ( I had to uninstall a legit backup program to install FarCry) and Prices go up (I'm a graphic artist it cost to stay current). If I had known back then I never would have done it but we were all ignorant of Copyright laws back then it was sometime before I read up on it and found out I was wrong.

Thank you for accepting My apologies and I do hope I have not soured your experience on the boards. I'm not usually so pointed but I have been layed up with a cold and the nighquil makes me edgey.

Preston

@spirittoo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks I appreciate that. I didn't come here to be accused of stealing. I came here for help.

I don't appreciate those that know nothing of my situation accusing me of stealing.

I don't like what MS is doing because it's further proof that our rights are being tossed to the wayside in favor of corporate profits. I know they have a right to protect their product but not at the expense of my rights.

If I have to go to MS I will but I don't like the idea of having to do it everytime I update my machine.

That was my rant .....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you feel it is your RIGHT to use an os unless it is legal? If you have a real legal activation code all you have to do is call them and explain that you had to reload it. They will simply give you another code to use. It is that easy! They won't turn you down unless there is something wrong with your currant code. You have a right to use your own pc, but you don't have a right to use any software unless it is given to you (Freeware) or paid for, it is that simple. You have the right to own a car. You don't have the right to drive it without a license.

It is a sad sign of the times. It gets tougher and tougher for the honest folks. I had as much to do with that as anyone else. When P2P became popular back in the day it was like Christmas little did we know that we were cutting our own throats. The consequences from back then are unreasonable copy protection,  ( I had to uninstall a legit backup program to install FarCry)  and Prices go up (I'm a graphic artist it cost to stay current). If I had known back then I never would have done it but we were all ignorant of Copyright laws back then it was sometime before I read up on it and found out I was wrong.

Thank you for accepting My apologies and I do hope I have not soured your experience on the boards. I'm not usually so pointed but I have been layed up with a cold and the nighquil makes me edgey.

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me it is a very disturbing and scary sign of the times. George Orwell's 1984. I am quite sensitive to it.

Corporate profits are out weighing individuals rights and freedoms. Sometimes I feel I see that the emperor has no clothes and I'm the only one that can see.

I heard about the P2P from my friend .... I never knew it exsisted until after the fact. In light of what corporations are doing to the working class it make it very difficult for me to sympathize. They have no problem taking advantance of us, but when it happen to them they are outraged. But like I said ..... another forum for this issue.

Try echinacea and red clover tea for your cold .... it will clear up the symptoms quickly. :thumbsup:

For me it is a very disturbing and scary sign of the times. George Orwell's 1984. I am quite sensitive to it.

Corporate profits are out weighing individuals rights and freedoms. Sometimes I feel I see that the emperor has no clothes and I'm the only one that can see

Me thinks you need to get out more....:)

You don't live in a commune by chance do you?...j/k :)

p.s. we all went by the original info provided, don't expect people to know details you haven't included....not many of us are mind readers you know.

Edited by Parrotgeek7
Like I said he legally purchase the keys and no he does not have installed copies on XP using the key he gave me.  He got a special license with MS because he works on computers.  He was given several keys with his license,  and give one key per computer ... so my key is not being used on another computer.

I don't think anyone had a just reason to call you a thief, but this isn't going to be completely legit and MS will likely not reactivate your license. The licenses issued through MSDN, Partner Program, Actions Packs, and most volume license programs are not transferable. You have to use them on company hardware for company purposes. You can't pass them out to your friends and family. Some of these license agreements are very strict.

If your friend is a reseller then it's legit, but if he's just "in the biz" with a Partner Program or some other volume license agreement he can't pass out licenses to people.

Ask your friend what type of license he has. If it's Partner Program/Action Pack you're out of luck. If it's "handouts" from MS you can probably twist MSs arm to reactivate.

... Corporate profits are out weighing individuals rights and freedoms. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that actually clears things up then, doesn't it? ;)

A different point of view (mine) is that some people (not you of course) have come to expect non-essential amenities like computers (us old farts call them 'spoiled'), do not believe they should have to pay for them (us old farts call them 'irresponsible'), and do not accept the way the world works (us old farts call them 'immature').

Some people (not you of course) justify stealing, claiming "evil corporations" make "evil profits" by "taking advantage of us" and "charging exhorbitant prices," but in reality the way the world works is if someone (not you of course) doesn't have enough money for something they can go without until they do have enough, and if they steal it instead then they are criminals. No amount of blaming others for their actions can or ever will change that reality.

I realize it won't stop them (not you of course) from crying about it (us old farts call them 'babies') but at least it supplies plenty of fodder for discussion. :)

<edit> ('cause I agree and don't wish to add another post but this was funny so I had to respond)

This is not the fourm to really do a discussion on this ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Touché! :thumbsup: Edited by JDoors