A friend of mine has tried to access Google Maps and he gets an error report that he does not have Acrive X enabled - here is his email message

When I tried to open Maps on Google, I got the message that it could not happen because I did not have active x on my browser.

What happened to it and how can i get it back or re install it or download it.

Harold

I have had him check the settings in Security and he tells me all of his Active x are checked the same as mine. (I can get the maps)

He is running windows 98 and I believe he is running explorer 6.

any ideas would be most welcome

thanks

A friend of mine has tried to access Google Maps and he gets an error report that he does not have Acrive X enabled  - here is his email message

When I tried to open Maps on Google, I got the message that it could not happen because I did not have active x on my browser.

What happened to it and how can i get it back or re install it or download it.

Harold

I have had him check the settings in Security and he tells me all of his Active x are checked the same as mine.  (I can get the maps)

He is running windows 98 and I believe he is running explorer 6.

any ideas would be most welcome

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it only appear to use Javascript. u should be able to add to u'r trusted zone and go. and the blockers should, of course, allow google.com as well.

Google Maps does indeed use ActiveX under IE.  It's a quirk of the browser that I've heard will be corrected in IE7.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all your input folks. I have had him set all of his security settings exactly as mine are set (my computer opens Google maps fine) but it still gives him the Active X error message. He recently ran a spybot scan and he had a bit of spyware on his system but he also had a bunch of files that Spybot said it could not scan. He then went and deleted all of the files, (spyware and the ones that could not be scanned) I have told him to try recovering all those files and see if that will rectify his problem. If that doesn't work what do you think about a repair on IE6.

Another thought: Internet Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section, be sure Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) has a check in it. If his computer simply doesn't have the correct Active-X control this option allows IE to automatically download and install the correct one (assuming the GE site is scripted to do this). If this option is not selected and a site tries to use a non-existant control, the site may do what he's experiencing, not load at all.

Another thought: Internet Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section, be sure Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) has a check in it. If his computer simply doesn't have the correct Active-X control this option allows IE to automatically download and install the correct one (assuming the GE site is scripted to do this). If this option is not selected and a site tries to use a non-existant control, the site may do what he's experiencing, not load at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the input JD. tried that and he still gets the error message. I have had him scan with Avast, and also the online Panda scan, Spybot and Adaware.. Also a trojan scanner. When I tried to have him scan with his Norton System works it would not run properly. Just to check this out I am getting him to remove and then re-install the Norton System works. (he does not run Norton Antivirus) He runs Avast and Zone Alarm pro.