I see The Letter K and Uberpenguine are on so I ask this. What would you recommend as a transition program for going from Windoze to Linux? I mean the people are not all that sharp on Windoze let alone any Unix based system......Hhahaha.....And that applies to me also.....I am sorry it's so general but I really have no idea what the feds are going to do next....

Edited by il_wiccan
I see The Letter K and Uberpenguine are on so I ask this. What would you recommend as a transition program for going from Windoze to Linux? I mean the people are not all that sharp on Windoze let alone any Unix based system......Hhahaha.....And that applies to me also.....I am sorry it's so general but I really have no idea what the feds are going to do next....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

'transition program'? Speaking plainly, what are you wanting to do? Be as specific as possible.

I think maybe I know what wiccan is talking about....There's many versions of Linux, right?? I hear of "Unbuntu" and "gnu...something" and others....Is there a "kindergarten version" of Linux that works a lot like Windows?

It is also a concern of mine. My son is getting Geekier, and someday will probably want to install Linux, and even though it's supposed to be "better", learning another process basically scares me to death!! I still don't know Windows!!!

Maybe a tutorial with lots of screenshots so we can see what it looks like might be what wiccan is looking for, and I'll read it, too!! Something along the line of "Linux for Dummies", only dumbed down from that!

Now correct me if I'm wrong, wiccan. I don't mind a bit. :thumbsup:

Liz

The first linux distro I installed and actually got networked (aka the automatic way worked) was Ubuntu, for what it's worth. I also messed around a little with Mandrake (that was my first time), DSL, and gentoo (didn't get around to fiddling with the network so i never got an graphic interface on it, and thus really didn't do anything with it..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

'transition program'? Speaking plainly, what are you wanting to do? Be as specific as possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there is no "IT" person who runs the show so to speak so everyone is responsible for their own stuff. For example backing up you stuff to the server and etc. Now everyone knows how to use Acronis, install programs and etc. Now with Linux you have this RPM stuff and dependency's and crap.....hahahahahaha....I mean I am getting lost just typing this. We have Macs which NO ONE will go near for whatever reasons. So I guess my question is what Linux package is the most "Windows" like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there is no "IT" person who runs the show so to speak so everyone is responsible for their own stuff. For example backing up you stuff to the server and etc. Now everyone knows how to use Acronis, install programs and etc. Now with Linux you have this RPM stuff and dependency's and crap.....hahahahahaha....I mean I am getting lost just typing this. We have Macs which NO ONE will go near for whatever reasons. So I guess my question is what Linux package is the most "Windows" like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO, you are best off with the sink or swim approach. But, if this is a business situation, any 'major' distribution would do (Mandriva, Fedora, SuSE, etc).

Ubuntu is very easy to use, though not terribly 'windows-like'. I never really went through the 'windows-like' stage though. I researched it for several months, to the point where I at least understood the basic premises, and went forward from there.

Edited by TheLetterK

Ubuntu is cool and friendly for beginners.

The only word of advice I can give is this. Don't expect Linux to be Windows. Don't even try. You will only inevitably become annoyed when you finally realize that Linux is not, in fact, Windows.

-uberpenguin

Ubuntu has a text based installer which is very easy to use. Ubuntu also has very good hardware detection. Ubuntu is released every 6 months, the next version is coming out in October. Software updates are a snap with Ubuntu as it ships with apt-get and Synaptic.

Ubuntu would be a good first choice; I'm happy with my Ubuntu box.

i kinda wish i had known about unbuntu before i got FC4 though it isn't a huge pain in the butt, i just think i shoulda researched more before installing so i could find an easy to learn on distro but i've figured a lot. still tryin to get the dern thing on the internet but other than that i'm alright.

let's just say this. don't start with FC4. :P

HI hightest

i have ubuntu

install disk .as well [licoris .mandrake 9.1 and ten ]

but being on dial up .how do i configure the modem .

i had it working on mandrake 9.1

but a crash fixed that

and i dont know the konsole configurations

to get the driver back

just a thought

which has alsways been a problem with any linux oses

my modem is

x1154 dse 56k pci int ham v2

i havent configured the modem as a win driver.

it was bought linux compatable .

is there some way i can get this thing

to work.

i feel like a broken record repeating it self

ive posted this a dozen times.

marty

Edited by martymas