My friend has a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core and wants me to overclock it he has an MSI motherboard how high should I go I was think goto 3600, then after a few hours running at 3600 then go up to 3800 and when you overclock can it make you processor burn out faster?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have no clue how to OC.

Do not touch your friends comp.

If you really wanna take the time, effort, and risk into OCing, read up on it (overclockers.com and their forums ocforums.com are great resourceses). But as for OCing his comp, your last question alone lets us know you are too inexperienced to just jump in.

With a CPU that nice, OCing is a waste.

He would see little or no difference with what little you would want to safely over clock it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a little knowledge and right components a 3500 venice will easily and safely OC 20-25%.

If you don't think that would be noticable you know as much as hddmuncher.

With a CPU that nice, OCing is a waste.

He would see little or no difference with what little you would want to safely over clock it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a little knowledge and right components a 3500 venice will easily and safely OC 20-25%.

If you don't think that would be noticable you know as much as hddmuncher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on the other specs, no you wont see a great deal of difference.

Most likely something else will be a bottle neck.

Remember, going from 80 FPS to 110 FPS on a game makes no difference. ANd lowering loading speeds of programs from 1 sec, to half a sec make no difference either. (just examples)

My friend has a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core and wants me to overclock it he has an MSI motherboard how high should I go I was think goto 3600, then after a few hours running at 3600 then go up to 3800 and when you overclock can it make you processor burn out faster?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have no clue how to OC.

Do not touch your friends comp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have to raise the voltage to get it stable, that will cause the most heat increase, so keep a eye on the CPU temps. heat is what will kill it !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Negating electromigration (which isn't a trivial case, but it has yet to be a really major problem at the current densities most modern ICs see), electrical load doesn't really cause cumulative wear on ICs. It's often argued that the expansion and contraction of the IC as it heats and cools can cause structural damage over time, however the change in temperature of most ICs is fairly slow and gradual and I've seen several devices almost 3 decades old that still work reliably (if you keep your current PC in consistant use for another 30 years, I'm impressed).

CPU's "burn out" when, as some others commented, a gate or gates overheat and basically fuse. Sometimes this will cripple the CPU, sometimes it will render it useless alltogether... In any case it's a scenario you'd want to avoid.

I know it's a totally vain exercise to suggest that you run these things within manufacturer specifications, but if you insist on overclocking your synchronous ICs, do read up on what you're getting into first.