Preparing For A Disaster?

A nationally known and relatively moderate (from my POV) talk show host mentioned that in light of the fiasco in New Orleans he was going to prepare to protect his family in case of disaster by buying a weapon, though he had never considered it before.

This was something I have been thinking about a lot lately, with the terrorist threat. It is completely clear to me, that a certain small segment of the population are sociopaths and we need to protect ourselves from them since our state, local, and federal government are incapable of always protecting us. Gun control didn't work, since the looters went for the gun shops first. Even if gun control worked 100% of the time by voiding the Constitutions right to keep and bear arms, it would be trivial for one of these nuts to knife a cop and take his/her weapons. My greatest fear is to be unarmed and unable to protect my family when the time comes. I of course will invest in a gun safe and trigger locks, for safety.

My question to you is:

How are you preparing, or do you even care?

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday

Australia banned guns, then their crime rate went UP!

hahahaha

ANyway... I live in a small town, and live here for a reason. I dont lock my doors, ive got windows wide open, And i still sleep peacefully at night.

However, I do have loaded rifles placed stratigicly throughout the house. Plus a bee-bee gun by the back door for those pesky critters that think my yard is a toliet.

Edited by Bubba Bob

This is a real tough one for me!

I've thought about getting a weapon for many of the reasons you mention.Crime is all around us and terrorisim is a very real threat. It makes sense in todays world to be able to protect your family and property.

My problem,while I'm a pretty sweet guy most of the time,I'm well aware I have a bit of a temper. My biggest fear would be to get upset over something that was,in hindsight,minor and shoot someone. There are people in my life who have done things awful enough that they may deserve to die,I just don't want to be the executioner.

So for my own peace of mind and the safety of others, I'll refrain from owning a gun. At least if you punch someone they probably live! Knowing your weaknesses and all that.....

I think the responces you will get will be devided based on location population.

I am like Bubba Bob. Doors unlocked sleep good at night. I live where we don have 6* of sepreation. Here if you don't know someone you do know a close family member. About 32,000 in the parish where I live, county to you other folks.LOL. And as of 2000 there was a spread of about 48 people per square mile for the parish.

M

In NY we have the toughest guns laws in the nation. Many of us in Central NY are hunters. We don't have a problem with reasonable gun laws such as a pistol permit or a search of our criminal past. My doors are never locked unless I am away. I have many guns in the house but they are not loaded except for my two pistols. I can get to them easy, but the kids can't. We were raised to respect guns and trained on the proper handling of them. I believe anyone that wishes to own a gun should go through an approved course on the safe usage of them.

I have never drawn and aimed a gun at any person, even when threatened. My baseball bat and dog have done more in the protection of my home than a gun. Guns are not a frivolous item. I have been accidentally shot before by someone who wasn't trained in the use of one. Guns in the hands of those untrained can be turned against them easily. I have worked and lived in some dangerous areas (NYC & West Palm Beach) and had no fear in walking the streets alone and unarmed.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Guns in the hands of those untrained can be turned against them easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's restate that critical fact,

Everyone should be properly trained before owning any gun.

A guy I knew in high school shot his brother through the wall of their house with an 'unloaded' shotgun. He survived, but lost a kidney.

I too am a trained shooter. I took college marksmanship, qualified as a marksman in the military, and will take a refresher before I shoot again. I have owned guns, I just don't have one now because I felt it was a tool I didn't need. Living relatively close to DC and about 15 feet above sea level makes me thing I need to prepare.

BH

Have a couple of rifles, learned to shoot in the military, practice and taught gun safety to my son. Can't leave the doors unlocked anymore around here except they won't get past my dog too easily. Half chow half sharpei and mean as hell with strangers.

I don't have any weapons in my house and have no training in firearms. However, in my youth I did train extensively as a competitive fighter so I can handle myself, but, am by nature a peaceful person. I can fully appreciate why some people feel the need to own a gun. In my small city I always lock my doors at night as we on occasion have muggings and assaults (we've had a few murders over the years too). I respect the right of people to own a gun, but, with my luck I'd shoot myself:-)

I don't have any guns. Doors are always locked whether we're in or gone away. I do have a security system and motion sensors placed in areas of the house. Should the door even crack open in the slightest movement or the motion sensors pick anyone up all h*** breaks loose with sirens and what not, which is followed by a phone call in about 15 sec. from a Central Security. If no answer within X amount of rings then police are dispatched.

Oh...and if someone does answer, they better know the password fast... :lol:

Ha ha, this klutz is with Hitest :D I would be scared to death to have a gun in the house. But I'm glad this discussion is happening because I never gave this issue a thought....I also live in a community where the biggest crime is a stolen bicycle and the only "intruder" we ever had was an old Daycare Kid who pounded on my unlocked door at 3am when she had too much to drink and needed a ride home.

When we were first married, Overprotective Third Shifter Hubby had a baseball bat by the bedroom door for me to use (never needed it) and I was lucky enough to be the "token woman" in the 4 apartment building, and those guys totally looked out for me (I made cookies, they had good noses :) )

Guess I should do some thinking....hmmm, are the baseball bats still in the back porch closet??

Liz

what is the world comming to when you have to sleep with aloaded gun in your bed

surely society must be sick

in my country private guns are banned .

but i can see the days when we will be like you.

hope im not around then .

remember it its people who makes society not guns.

the usa has always been liberal with their gun laws.

i feel that has come from thier heratge.

when lawessness ruled.

im afraid.

what to do about it

god knows

if i stated an opinion

ide have all the gunnies leaping down my throat

so i remain neutral

marty

Edited by martymas

"god knows

if i stated an opinion

so i remain neutral

marty"

I really hope we never get to a point where we can't voice our opinions freely. Even if we don't agree you should be able to speak your mind. Agreed that this is one of those issues where people have strong opinions but that's why we talk!

My guns are hunting rifles. they are not loaded and the clips and ammo are locked away. But after having the house robbed three times in a year I am thinking of changing that. My son had his x box, game cube and 1800 dollars worth of games stolen. Another time someone came on the porch and cut a heavy chain and padlock with bolt cutters and stole two bikes. The third time someone broke into the basement and stole a lawnmower and weedeater. The local cops did their usual great job - we never heard another thing about any of it. My homeowner insurance went up to pay for the claims

what is the world comming to when you have to sleep with aloaded gun in your bed

surely society must be sick

in my country private guns are banned .

but i can see the days when we will be like you.

hope im not around then .

remember it its people who makes society not guns.

the usa has always been liberal with their gun laws.

when lawessness ruled.

im afraid.

what to do about it

god knows

if i stated an opinion

so i remain neutral

marty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read THis.

Education is the key, NOT banning guns.

Edited by Bubba Bob
      Self-defense is a heavy choice.  For the weak-willed, it is too much to undertake, and they prefer not only that government take on that responsibility, but that it do so even for those who are willing to assume personal responsibility for their choice.  Thus, we have supporters of gun control.  Those in government who offer the promise--not ever based in reality--of defending us from predators are the ones who wish to repeat history and become the next ruling elite, themselves becoming the dominant predators.

I was raised around guns of all sorts. Hunting rifles and a loaded pistol in my Dad's sock drawer. Training is the answer. I was more likely to read his "racy" magazines then ever touch his guns without his supervision. I had a structured gun safety course at about 14 years old. But that was after many years of "plinking" cans at the dump with Dad and cousins. I bagged a deer my first season at 16. (Dad went without for the years before and a few after that)

I now am the proud owner of 4 handguns, a rifle, and a 12 guage shotgun. I don't hunt because I find it impossible to pull the trigger looking at a majestic Michigan Whitetail deer. And I don't need the meat. If I had family to feed it would be different. Once or twice a year I get out and dirty all the guns, plinking. It's important to keep your eye. To be well aquainted with the handguns and they're sight picture if you ever want to use them as self defence.

I wouldn't pull a gun out of anger or jest. But be assured, I wouldn't blink at killing someone that truely threatened me or mine. That's not anger, it's self preservation. And yes, I have a loaded handgun in the house. " Self-defense is a heavy choice. And I know the government cannot take on the responsibility of my personal safety"

FYI, I am a 58 year old American gal who has lived (for the most part) alone for 30 years. I live in a community that is realitively safe, don't lock my doors unless I'm gone overnite, and have 3 dogs, totaling 250 pounds of *BARK* No one in their right mind would enter my house with them around. But then, a "cracked out" druggie ain't in the right mind, is he?

Edited by bozodog

Brings to mind all the disaster warnings and lists of things we need to prepare. Jeesh, the g'ment spends good money to try and educate folks on being ready. I can't help but wonder what planet those folks in Katrina's path are living on.

Isn't there a list? Like: Water, flashlites, batteries, non-parrishable food items, blankets, first aid kit, and exit plan?

I keep several gallons of water in my deep freeze, they can be used in a camp cooler to preserve frozen goods beyond the time a large freezer begins to thaw. Or buy a case of bottled water. (God, buy water?) Save those soda bottles, fill with water and add a few drops of chlorine bleach for storage. Milk freezes well too. (not a lot so you can use it before it all spoils. Freeze bread too, it will last a long time after thawing. Canned staples, beans, tuna, soup, spam, corned beef, rice, pasta.

Get a cheap little camp cooker. The ones that use the small butane or propane cannisters are real inexpensive and can be found on sale at the end of summer. (extra cannisters on hand too) Candles, I like the ones in a container. They are safer. I also save all my wax to pour my own into tins with lids,(like the ones that Christmas candy comes in) using cotton shoelaces for large wicks. Or get lantern wicks. A couple oil lamps/lanterns can be found at yard sales for pennies. Don't buy the expensive lamp oils, kerosene works just fine. I buy mine for $1.80 a gallon. 5 bucks for a 1 gal sealable plastic gas can, (spray painted blue) can light your way for days and days. You can even heat canned goods over them.

Do I live in a danger zone? Not really, but one never knows when a wind, ice, snow storm, or Friday nite drunk takes out the power. Nor do I know how long it's gonna take to get it back.

Ok, for about $25 I can have food, light and water for several days, even weeks.

Edited by bozodog

when lawessness ruled.

<parts cut>

so i remain neutral

marty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the utmost respect Marty, you are a little off here. America’s heritage is a deep distrust of Government, and recognition of its potential to become corrupt. The right to keep and bear arms was added to the Constitution as a check and balance against tyranny. You can't easily subjugate an armed electorate.

Having said that, look at Hitler, Pol Pot, the Soviet purges, Tienemen Square, etc. History has shown us that Governments can't be trusted to do what is best for its people. I am sure your country is a nice place now, but all of the above countries were nice places a few years before also. The difference is, here we have an option you don't have, the ability to protect ourselves from our government.

BH