Filter Material For Pc Case ?

Hi all, I have a PC that is brand new and I have to put it inside a metal 3' x 3' x 3'

rolling cabinet. This is for the serice dept at a Chevy dealership and will roll from car to car when they are getting service. It hooks to the onboard computer under the steering wheel and hooks to a tech scanner to diagnose problems. This is a GM / Chevy thing.

So I had them make sure that all sides had vent slots put in so the computer doesn't fry up inside the case (3 sides and a door basically).

I want to use some sort of thin breathable material to keep out the dust, dirt, and metal specks that fly around inside the service area. Using something like pantyhose is not an option because of the size. I need approx 20" x 20" material. I thought of furnace filters at 1st, but wasn't sure if it would allow enough air to pass through. Also I would like to find whatever I use at say a Home Depot or WalMart so I can get it whenever needed too.

It is early, so maybe I just can't think enough yet ... :wacko:

thanks for any suggestions you have

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want good clean airflow I suggest you add a squirrel cage blower to the metal box you have it in, and filter the inlet through a standard 20x20 furnace filter. I have built large air cleaners for my basement wood shop, and the flow across a filter is dependant on the size of the blower (cfms) and the surface area of the filter.

Here is a great deal on a blower: ~ $4 you will need a 12V converter, but that still keeps it under $20

25 CFM blower

Post PICS, this is a nice practical mod project. :)

BH

The AC filter was my first thought, I like the K&N idea also.

Don't forget about frotecting the plug ends while they are not in use. Don't want to get trash on them and try to service a vehicle, may get errore returned. You could use a receptical from a totaled car fro this.

Send it to the Paint/Body shop fot some color also, I' sure they can fine "leftover" paint.

Get down to Wal-Mart and et some sticker printer paper, print a besttechie banner to slap on the side, with the url.

<New members joins>

hi all I was just down at the chevy dealer to get <service/> done and I noticed a mechanic rollong this cart with www.besttechie.com on the side. wanted to check it out....</New members join>

M

Pimp my computer rolling cart B)

What a project this has become really. I like the idea of the K&N filters and everything is at my disposal to get it done right.

There will be a UPS in it as well, never know what can happen in there with all the power going on.

Thanks for all the ideas, I guess my brain s too fried from a long weekend of fun :blush:

Mike

One final thought:

How are you going to protect the monitor? You might want to think LCD.

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the service guys weld me up this cage, and it has a spot to cradle a CRT monitor.

I went w/ the CRT just in case .... one car door smacking into an LCD is a $300 mistake. :blush: Some of the guys are not the brightest bulbs w/ computers, so trying to make it simple as possible really. Sure they can rip through a car like nobodies business but don't think they care what the hell monitor they get. If I slap a Nascar sticker or something on it they will be happy enough.

The thin AC filter sounds good, gonna head back tomorrow and see what to actually do now.

again thanks

Mike

Hi all, I have a PC that is brand new and I have to put it inside a metal 3' x 3' x 3'

rolling cabinet. This is for the serice dept at a Chevy dealership and will roll from car to car when they are getting service. It hooks to the onboard computer under the steering wheel and hooks to a tech scanner to diagnose problems. This is a GM / Chevy thing.

So I had them make sure that all sides had vent slots put in so the computer doesn't fry up inside the case (3 sides and a door basically).

I want to use some sort of thin breathable material to keep out the dust, dirt, and metal specks that fly around inside the service area. Using something like pantyhose is not an option because of the size. I need approx 20" x 20" material. I thought of furnace filters at 1st, but wasn't sure if it would allow enough air to pass through. Also I would like to find whatever I use at say a Home Depot or WalMart so I can get it whenever needed too.

It is early, so maybe I just can't think enough yet ...  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds kinda simple, but use cheese cloth, thin enough to let air pass well, plus will stop dust and its cheap

Argg! Blade fans are notoriously bad for pulling air through a filter. I tried to use a box fan with a good filter and burned it out. Airflow basically stopped. If you notice, auto AC units, home AC units, and other filter applications use a blower.

I really like the idea of a remote air source. My machine is quite loud. I might have to try this. I have used the flexible air vent he used, and that stuff is great. You cant hear air flowing through it.

BH

Argg! Blade fans are notoriously bad for pulling air through a filter. I tried to use a box fan with a good filter and burned it out. Airflow basically stopped. If you notice, auto AC units, home AC units, and other filter applications use a blower.

I really like the idea of a remote air source. My machine is quite loud. I might have to try this. I have used the flexible air vent he used, and that stuff is great. You cant hear air flowing through it.

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Automotive air filters are very easy to draw air through yet still trap minute particles. The K&N filters have fantastic airflow capabilities and will even trap the finest particles. I have been using them for my dirt track cars for quite a few years. On one PC case I put together I used a small K&N filter with an inside diameter of 7" and used a 120mm Motor-One brushless 12VDC fan. I placed the filter at the lower center of the side cover and the fan at the top as an exhaust. I blocked off the other vent holes in the case. This setup was loud, but efficient. If I were to use this setup again I would place the fan in a remote location and have it draw through a duct. A squirrel cage type blower fan, such as that used on a furnace, would work great drawing air out in the setup Mike made with the filters placed as intakes at the other openings. In a dealership the noise wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Wow, what a lot of great ideas!! I haven't looked at this thread until now because I thought it was dealing with "computerish filters", like Firewalls (too techy for me!) but curiosity got me peeking in here.

Now, for a female perspective :) (although it looks like the guys came through beautifully) If you're looking for something that is thin, strong and stretchable like panty hose, check out fabric shops (the big ones, like Minnesota Fabrics, not the Walmart fabric departments) and seek out one of the clerks. They have lots of choices in fabric that you can buy in 36-72 inch widths. Also Hobby Shops, again, I know how men are at these places (fish out of water) so before looking (and getting glassy-eyed like I do at auto supplies) get someone to help you.

Liz

Wow, what a lot of great ideas!!  I haven't looked at this thread until now because I thought it was dealing with "computerish filters", like Firewalls (too techy for me!) but curiosity got me peeking in here.

Now, for a female perspective  :) (although it looks like the guys came through beautifully)  If you're looking for something that is thin, strong and stretchable like panty hose, check out fabric shops (the big ones, like Minnesota Fabrics, not the Walmart fabric departments) and seek out one of the clerks.  They have lots of choices in fabric that you can buy in 36-72 inch widths.  Also Hobby Shops, again, I know how men are at these places (fish out of water) so before looking (and getting glassy-eyed like I do at auto supplies) get someone to help you.

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I have my home PCs set up so that I can use the used fabric softner (bounce) sheets from the laundry . I just outline the intake holes on the case with a 3M kids gluestick and cut a peice to cover it. Peels off easily and for replacement when it gets dirty. Works so good, I put them behind the prefilters on the window air conditioner units too. They even absorb cigarette smoke (not that I smoke, but the OL is a chimney)

Now I'm amazed that a kid's gluestick does the job!! Quick, cheap and easy :) Hmmm, maybe a Bounce sheet quilting party is in the future for Mike...especially since they're a static reducer. No Bounce for me, though, makes me sneeze!! I'll remember the gluestick tip, though, thanks, Pete!

Liz