What's Your Internet Speed?

My T1

ISP: AT&T

Cost: Paid for by an employer ($360/month)

1.544Mbps down

1.544Mbps up

(real world numbers are more like 1.4Mbps)

My Cable Broadband

ISP: Adelphia

Cost: $39.99/month

4Mbps down

768kbps up

(real world is more like 3Mbps/500kbps)

PtP WiFi link

ISP: Me :)  (my old university carries the physical link)

Cost: Free after equipment

~8Mbps down

~8Mbps up

(varies a lot, but I can usually keep it around 8Mbps)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello, Mr.Cow, looks like you beat me, but my cure for AIDS still owns.

My T1

1.544Mbps down

1.544Mbps up

My Cable Broadband

4Mbps down

768kbps up

PtP WiFi link

~8Mbps down

~8Mbps up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet!

Qwest VDSL 1410 down /982 up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought VDSL had higher speeds than that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does. MUCH higher than that. I think PG either had to many margaritas tonight or he got shammed by a telco salesman.

(read my post above)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thanks. So im not going crazy. There's some good news.

Edited by Bubba Bob
Qwest VDSL 1410 down /982 up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought VDSL had higher speeds than that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does. MUCH higher than that. I think PG either had to many margaritas tonight or he got shammed by a telco salesman.

(read my post above)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thanks. So im not going crazy. There's some good news.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so I'm being dsylexic tonight. 4110 down /892 up. I didn't think it was very slow...max on it is supposed to be around 5 down and 1 up if I remember right.

Suppose I could look it up but I'm being lazy and i'd probably spell something wrong....:).

See what you get for talking on the phone and trying t type at the same time...

and no, you don't have to be any closer then a normal dsl line. ours carries phone, tv and internet. ( so maybe all togethor its greater then 8, haven't actually cared enough to look. Our whole package is $120/month. But since you ask, I am about 150' from a switching station/box.

Edited by Parrotgeek7
My T1

1.544Mbps down

1.544Mbps up

My Cable Broadband

4Mbps down

768kbps up

PtP WiFi link

~8Mbps down

~8Mbps up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PtP WiFi link? Please tell me more? How do you make one?

PtP WiFi link? Please tell me more? How do you make one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just a 802.11b link (PtP means Point to Point) from me to a friend near my old university (it's about 8 miles). For the cards I used 2 Senao NL-2511CDs (200mw). For the antennas I used 2 24dBi parabolic grid antennas (Pacific Wireless). For the platforms we used Soekris's Net4521 boards running Pebble linux. This is real overkill for such a distance and if you did something similar you'd could easily get away with less powerfull/senstive caqrds and would probably want something much less focused than 24dBi grids - they are a PITA to line up.

The connection is being taken down right now as my friend at the other endpoint graduated more than a year ago and is finally getting around to moving. The university is right up against a hill that has dozens of relay towers on it though so I plan on mounting my own solar power relay soon.

I graduated years ago, but they've kept my acct active so I see that as an invitation to use their network. A couple of the faculty know I'm doing this and they don't bat an eye at it so I'm more or less comfortable with it.

Edited by CataclysmCow

Download Speed: 4272 kbps (534 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 358 kbps (44.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Comcast @ $42.95 a month, for $10 more can get the 8MB package here.

Mr Cow, how do you get the PtP from your old university ? They have open wifi there for you to tap ?

Isn't that better if you are up higher to get the antenna set good too ?

I was curious how I may go about tapping into the university here for this. It is about 7 miles, but is a straight land shot, no hills, just a lot of trees. Or if even possible. I do know several professors there so was gonna try and scam some info from them to see what is up since they get free connections.

Edited by mlegg510
Mr Cow, how do you get the PtP from your old university ? They have open wifi there for you to tap ?

The campus has several open point-to-multipoint bridges. A friend of mine who recently graduated from there worked in the computer services dept and setup a bridge to his house which is just a few hundred feet from the school. From his network there's another point-to-point bridge to my house. You could do it without using bridge mode, but it's preferable. Since he's moving though I'm going to have to find a solar powered option to put on that relay hill behind the school (and hope no one questions it).

Isn't that better if you are up higher to get the antenna set good too ?

Yes, but it only really becomes an issue when you are dealing with longer links over a mile or two. The term for it is "fresnel zone clearance". The longer the link is the more clearance you'll need. You can google for "fresnel zone calculator" if you need help finding your clearances. I live on a hill and my old university is on the side of a plateau that overlooks my part of the city so I lucked out big time.

I'll add pics later if you want for a better mental picture.