Promise Ultra Ata/66 Pci Card ?

ugh, maybe I am tired from working too much this week, but I cannot figure this out ~ and will kick myself when I see the answer :blush:

I rebuilt several PCs this week, now I am on my last case. This is a Win 98 machine on a network and the only purpose of this machine on the network is for guys to read email through Outlook Express and occasionally browse to some Chevy sites for images.

I ripped out all the guts on 5 machine totally so I could clean, replace RAM, bad HDs, etc. This machine is a Pentium 3 processor @ 700 Mhz. In one PCI slot is a Promise Technology Ultra 66 V 1.14 card (will take the transfer speed from 33 to 66 Mb ~ with all the right conditions). I could care less about this and only want the HD hooked up to the mobo and skip this. I formatted this HD on another machine so is blank and ready for Win 98 to go on it.

Here is the problem, when I boot the machine it says Ultra 66 not found..... error.

So I go into the BIOS to see how to disable it an enable the onboard ATA controller. It seems there is no option to do this , or I am blind and too tired :wacko: How can I get this off the BIOS entirely and not get this error anymore ?

Here is a pic too (notice you can hook up 2 devices, but I have no need for this)

ddf18h.jpg

ugh, maybe I am tired from working too much this week, but I cannot figure this out ~ and will kick myself when I see the answer :blush:

I rebuilt several PCs this week, now I am on my last case. This is a Win 98 machine on a network and the only purpose of this machine on the network is for guys to read email through Outlook Express and occasionally browse to some Chevy sites for images.

I ripped out all the guts on 5 machine totally so I could clean, replace RAM, bad HDs, etc. This machine is a Pentium 3 processor @ 700 Mhz. In one PCI slot is a Promise Technology Ultra 66 V 1.14 card (will take the transfer speed from 33 to 66 Mb ~ with all the right conditions). I could care less about this and only want the HD hooked up to the mobo and skip this. I formatted this HD on another machine so is blank and ready for Win 98 to go on it.

Here is the problem, when I boot the machine it says Ultra 66 not found..... error.

So I go into the BIOS to see how to disable it an enable the onboard ATA controller. It seems there is no option to do this , or I am blind and too tired :wacko: How can I get this off the BIOS entirely and not get this error anymore ?

Any BIOS option to reset to default? Or maybe take the battery out and see if it reverts back......just guessing you see......Hahahahahaha.....

Edited by il_wiccan

watch out ill, I know where you live... I traced your IP in G$ !

was thinking of pulling the CMOS as a last resort, but since getting late now, it will wait till tomorrow when the hangover goes away :lol:

watch out ill, I know where you live... I traced your IP in G$  !

was thinking of pulling the CMOS as a last resort, but since getting late now, it will wait till tomorrow when the hangover goes away  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahahahaha....well I hope you don't have to go through that heads and cylinders crap on the hd.......Man what a pain......