Bs On Abc Tonight!

What has happened in New Orleans is a terrible tragedy.  It will take time to resolve this awful destruction.  However, we won't accomplish anything by beating up on each other.

I can understand why emotions have been stirred up by this event; it is perhaps the worst thing to ever happen in North America. 

Please calm down a bit:-)

I've been terribly upset by this tragedy as well.  It is a terrible thing to witness when society breaks down.  Hopefully order will be restored soon and the victims will receive the help that they need.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hitest-I mean this in a good way,ok? I'm calm, but if you look at what you just posted, you would make a good politician.

"Hopefully order will be restored soon and the victims will receive the help that they need."

Nobody is beating anybody up here.

And also to say that ,

"it is perhaps the worst thing to ever happen in North America."

Excuse me, surely you have not forgotten the civil war, or the Native American's.

Like I said, not trying to start trouble but, in a situation like this it is human nature to discuss it among friend's. :)

Thanks Liz for the link, I hadn't read it for a long time. One of the greatest speeches ever written!!!

In rereading it, one sentence really jumped out at me.

Quote:

"We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one."

I think that is still a major problem in many cities, including perhaps New Orleans.

And what keeps anyone of any race captive in those ghettos, the word Dr King used, and perhaps we would change things if we hadn't distorted our language to the PC correct 'poverty pockets' which doesn't sound 'so bad'? Many reasons, but one is the fault of government, political parties, and leaders of all races, and of the media....that is the government handouts that keep people held captive for generations, instead of handUPs to Freedom!!!

I'm like others have said, to many jumbled thoughts to write it all out.

I'll just add this for historical note, I marched in many civil rights parades in the NW as a young adult, and was welcomed by the blacks with open arms and hearts.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

hitest-I mean this in a good way,ok? I'm calm, but if you look at what you just posted, you would make a good politician.

"Hopefully order will be restored soon and the victims will receive the help that they need."

And also to say that ,

Excuse me, surely you have not forgotten the civil war, or the Native American's.

Like I said, not trying to start trouble but, in a situation like this it is human nature to discuss it among friend's.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm okay with the discussion as long as it remains civil. I thoroughly enjoy a good debate. However, if it starts resembling a flame war I can and will step in. When people start hurling insulting remarks at each other then it is time to chill out a bit. Thank you for your reply.

Hello all. I would like to add just something. I think it is very nice that we all can share a common concern for such a tragic event. You guys have really shown me some other points of view to take this from and other things to consider. This has become a good discussion thread, and let's keep it at that. :thumbsup: I'm sure no one want to get into any sort of flame war.

Matt

However, if it starts resembling a flame war I can and will step in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"If"? He just said you'd make a good politician! How much worse could it possibly get?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, you really caught me off guard with that one, jcl! :lol::lol: You just made my evening. Heh-heh, I've been called worse things than a politician:-)

And also to say that ,

Like I said, not trying to start trouble but, in a situation like this it is human nature to discuss it among friend's.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm okay with the discussion as long as it remains civil. I thoroughly enjoy a good debate. However, if it starts resembling a flame war I can and will step in. When people start hurling insulting remarks at each other then it is time to chill out a bit. Thank you for your reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK?

"When people start hurling insulting remarks at each other then it is time to chill out a bit."

I musta missed something. :unsure:

btw-I never did get that knoppix disk to work right. Waiting for some Ubunto cd's now.

What has happened in New Orleans is a terrible tragedy.  It will take time to resolve this awful destruction.  However, we won't accomplish anything by beating up on each other.

I can understand why emotions have been stirred up by this event; it is perhaps the worst thing to ever happen in North America. 

I've been terribly upset by this tragedy as well.  It is a terrible thing to witness when society breaks down.  Hopefully order will be restored soon and the victims will receive the help that they need.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hitest, I agree with you, but I think what has folks upset is the fact that this board was made up with a lot of "refugees" who can sort of relate with a society breaking down, that's what brought a lot of wonderful folks to this place. Folks here seem to be passionate about unfair treatment of any sort. Think of it as "the heart opening up through the keyboard"

I have seen an outpour of sorrow and frustration due to the current events, not flaming. (ok, ignore jcl---I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!! :D )

Liz

Hitest, I agree with you, but I think what has folks upset is the fact that this board was made up with a lot of "refugees" who can sort of relate with a society breaking down, that's what brought a lot of wonderful folks to this place.  Folks here seem to be passionate about unfair treatment of any sort.  Think of it as "the heart opening up through the keyboard"

I have seen an outpour of sorrow and frustration due to the current events, not flaming. (ok, ignore jcl---I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!! :D )

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, Liz :D This forum is comprised of a diverse group, many of whom have been displaced by mergers and other events. I'm truly upset by what has happened in the Gulf Coast, I just can't believe it.

You're right Liz, talking about this is a good thing as long as people don't flame each other :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hitest, I agree with you, but I think what has folks upset is the fact that this board was made up with a lot of "refugees" who can sort of relate with a society breaking down, that's what brought a lot of wonderful folks to this place. Folks here seem to be passionate about unfair treatment of any sort. Think of it as "the heart opening up through the keyboard"

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Liz,

The reason hitest and I have mentioned about keeping it cool is not so much reacting to flaming, we just reaqlized what a sensitive matter this thread discusses. We were concerned, that by a few posts, tension could be rising. We just wanted to make sure no one got upset or anything.

Matt

Pshaw, misbehavior at Besttechies???? Nawww, won't happen, we all get along too well and respect eachothers opinions--that's how we learn and that's why this place is so special. And there's enough people here with the firehoses if needed. Handing over my firehose, though, I gotta go to bed!!!

Goodnight and Love to all,

Liz

That New Orleans mayor is no Rudy Giuliani when it comes to managing a crisis.  It's easy to stand in one spot, point fingers and start assigning blame.  Why wasn't he busing the folks out of the city BEFORE the tragedy when he ordered the evacuation?  Now all the local school buses are under water and doing no good for anyone.  Why didn't he have quantities of emergency food and water staged within the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm really not going to engage in this level of "discussion"

but the mayor of n.o. managed to get 80% of his residents out..in a relatively short time..he has 200,000 people stranded with no water/food or basic necessities..he's got thousands dead and dying...he's got a governor who declares a day of prayer..instead of a day of get the help out..and politicians all over the media holding press conferences..thanking each other..while his city dies..i think he's entitled to a bit of cussing..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's very true.

As far as the lack of federal assistance, remember who's "in charge".

Does it really surprise anyone that the Fool would be able to take control of this catastrophe?

It's time to accept that the appointed prez is inept and incompetent and it's time to impeach him.

In the mean time though, our fellow citizens are in dire straits and need our help.

Please give what you can to the Red Cross. Try not to buy gas at the recent criminal prices. Send the money that you would send to the oil companies instead to the red cross. Take public transit if possible.

If you can, open your homes up to the victims of the hurricane and flood.

If you have any other ideas of helping, I'd like to hear them. PM me.

The government is clearly not able to deal with this, for a variety of reasons.

We will have to step up ourselves.

Joe

I really don't know what you mean, irregularjoe. Washington isn't our keeper. We, as a Republic, have control of our states and cities. If someone would go back to other natural disasters, I believe you'd find the same delay in response times. The mayor told everyone to get out, maybe he should have tried harder to move those without the means. I did see that parking lot full of flooded school buses. Why didn't he use them? Possibly because no one "thought" the levy would fail over 24 hours later? The mayor failed his people, the governor failed to respond in time, and you blame Washington? You're knocking Bush, while the mayor is on TV and radio cursing his own ineptness? And the media pulling the race card? Did anyone really expect anything else? We all know the media has to fuel the fire after a few days, running out of newsworthy things to cover.

And what about the folks "starving" without water? Huh? Who's responsibilty is it to be prepaired? For days before this event folks were being told to get out or get ready. Remember? Flashlights, batteries, non-perishable foods, WATER!!!!!!! Why do some people always need their hands held? And then complain when they get in a fix?

Ok, [/RANT] I hope I haven't offended anyone.

What's missing here is leadership.

One leader needs to take control of this situation. And that should be a federal official, since it's clear that the state and local officials aren't up to it.

The most obvious person to do that is Federal Emergency Management Agency director Michael Brown. He has the authority to pull together all the resources needed to stabilize the situation.

He needs to make sure that everyone in the evacuation centers is fed. He needs to stop thugs who have been terrorizing the streets. He needs to rescue stranded residents. He needs to evacuate everyone from the city, and make sure the holes are plugged in the levees.

Just what I said, sethook. The local leadership failed their people and how fast does anyone think the Feds can take over?

Things are looking so much better there this morning. Food, water, evacs, and order is being restored. How much better it would have been if the local government officals had been prepaired to handle things long enough for the feds to get rolling. (remember, the feds can't/won't move until the governor designates a disaster and requests help.)

God help all those who are suffering.

This whole mess was poorly managed from the ground up. When it was comfirmed that this hurricane was gaining it's strength and headed toward that area everyone should have been ordered out and aided to leave. If they had no money or transportation it should have been provided immediately. Surrounding communities should have beed prepared to take in the people.

The problems around the gulf will never disappear. That area has been overbuilt with homes. It amazes me that people continue to live in those areas well known to suffer high damages due to the increasing storms. I'll stick with shoveling over 200" of snow every winter.

I nominate hitest for besttechie board councilman. What is your platform.

LOL

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, thanks, mikex! :D

I'm going to try to do a good job as a mod and keep this a happy, festive place:-) I respect anyone who would be willing to serve the people and jump into politics, but, politics isn't for me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, much appreciated. :D

Pshaw, misbehavior at Besttechies????  Nawww, won't happen, we all get along too well and respect eachothers opinions--that's how we learn and that's why this place is so special.  And there's enough people here with the firehoses if needed.  Handing over my firehose, though, I gotta go to bed!!!

Goodnight and Love to all,

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep Liz, that's what I did... headed to bed, a few minutes before you I guess.

Surprising what a good rant, and a good night's sleep will do for a person!!! :rolleyes:

And maybe that is the good thing this thread did, let us sound off with our personal frustration over the whole mess. Nothing we could do (except give to Red Cross etc), while we sat watching this human disaster unfold. I have cried so much, and prayed alot for the people all week. I think I just needed to express myself over what I saw and thought. And I had the same feeling others were doing the same thing. It is so frustrating for those people waiting for help, but also for all of America, and the whole world too (except for some radicals saying something about Private Katrina doing their work for them... :angry::angry2: )

Though I haven't yet reread what I wrote, I do hope I did it without flaming others here, and sort of kept it civil. If not, then I apologize for any remarks that offended others. I love all you folks. :wub:

I bet that a bunch of us, if stuck in the Superdome like that, would have been doing some leadership stuff to organize people, and trying to get people to ration and share water and food along with caring for sick, elderly, and kids. (Liz you can have the kids...OK?) Then started a prayer and praise meeting, until we found a good preacher and singers to take over. Afterwards I would have started a Hope march out of town. Ha Ha!

Hubby says yep that is exactly what I would have been up to!!! Well it beats sitting around doing nothing. And I would have made a bunch of new friends, and unfortunately ticked off some too. Oh Well. :rolleyes:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

I would gladly take the kids, Pat :thumbsup: But I have a feeling we wouldn't be there, anyways, choosing to "hoof it" out of town beforehand.

Saw a portion of a clip on one of the news channels--someone interviewed a group of "young gypsies" who decided to walk out of the area. The person interviewing them lent a young lady his cellphone to call her parents and say "we're safe, but come pick us up!"

We need to see more of that compassion and human determination on the newscasts.

Seems the news tends to focus on the sensationalism instead of the humanitarism--apparently that either raises the ratings or raises donations (and flaring tempers!), but I have a sad feeling it's for the ratings. It was refreshing to see something uplifting for a change.

You couldn't tick off anyone, Pat :)

Liz