New Opera User Needs Help

When you copy image address go to Programs and click Opera Ad Filter to open the program. The box will open and ask if you wish to add what is saved to your clipboard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/The...eraAdFilter.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks TT_75.

I was beginning to think I was back 5 yrs ago trying to figure out how to how to turn on the computer.

I followed all your steps and did not have any trouble installing OperaAdFilter. After your post about going to the [start-programs-OperaAdFilter] the box came up and now I do not have any ads in my son's web site or in G4.

Perhaps you or someone could condense this thread and make a sticky out of it for the others like me who are having problems.

I still like FF, but am impressed with Opera 8.02. Will take some time to explore and learn how to operate.

Thanks again TheTerrorist_75.

It takes some time to get used to it, but once you do it fairly simple. Look at my addition about a shortcut to the Opera Ad Filter icon on your taskbar or desktop. All you need to do is click that instead of going into Programs. I didn't even think to look there because I usually don't have any of my icons showing on my taskbar. If you didn't let the program setup the shortcut just create one from it in Programs and place it on the desktop then drag it to the taskbar. :thumbsup:

It takes some time to get used to it, but once you do it fairly simple. Look at my addition about a shortcut to the Opera Ad Filter icon on your taskbar or desktop. All you need to do is click that instead of going into Programs. I didn't even think to look there because I usually don't have any of my icons showing on my taskbar. If you didn't let the program setup the shortcut just create one from it in Programs and place it on the desktop then drag it to the taskbar. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like you I do not have anything in the task bar. I put a shortcut on the desktop but when I drag it to the taskbar it won't stay. I am running W98se.

How's this look for a tutorial?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing Opera Ad Filter.

http://www.operaadfilter.com/

OperaAdFilter V1.01 FAQ

How do I use OperaAdFilter?

Run the program. You will be asked to point to your opera6.ini file. The program will parse that ini and see if you have a filter.ini setup already. If you don't (which is likely), a default filter.ini will be created for you, and your opera6.ini will be updated to point to it. This only happens once when you first run OperaAdFilter.

While OperaAdFilter is running, just right click any ad, select COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, and OperaAdFilter will pick it up and offer to block this image's path. Once added, you will never receive content from that path again!

Everytime you create a new entry, the file is autosaved. When you exit OperaAdFilter, the file is saved. Opera must be restarted for the changes to take effect - and some ads may still reside in the browser cache (simply clear out your cache).

You have to have OperaAdFilter running for the "copy image address" trick to work.

operaadicon.jpg

If the shortcut wasn't created on your taskbar or desktop go to Start - Programs - Opera Ad Filter to open the program. It will ask if you want the contents of the clipboard installed. Click Yes. You can create the shotcut from Opera Ad Filter in Programs to your desktop and drag it to the taskbar if it wasn't created to make the process easier.

Okay. I downloaded the .zip file and placed it in the Opera profile folder. I then unzipped it and ran the program. Where it asks to be installed I browsed to the profile folder where I placed the .zip file. Close Opera then go to the profile folder and open the operafilter folder. You will see operaadfilter.exe. Double click it and it will see that you do not have the filter.ini file and ask if you wish to create it. Say yes and proceed. Once it is created it may ask if you wish to place whatever is in your clipboard to the file. Just cancel. At the upper left click the second item on the toolbar and you will see where to get the updated ads block list.

If you have Win95/98/ME you will see an additional item that needs to be added at the same page you downloaded Operaadfilter from.

After unzipping the file I pointed it to the profile folder.

operaadfilterexe.jpg

This is my profile folder.

operaprofile.jpg

To find opera6.ini

In Opera go to Help in the toolbar and click About Opera. You will see the location of the file.

Normally it's under Opera\Profile\opera6.ini

You may have to go to control panel/ folder options/ view and select show hidden and system files

Also uncheck "hide file extensions of known file types"

How's this look for a tutorial?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing Opera Ad Filter.

http://www.operaadfilter.com/

OperaAdFilter V1.01 FAQ

How do I use OperaAdFilter?

Run the program. You will be asked to point to your opera6.ini file. The program will parse that ini and see if you have a filter.ini setup already. If you don't (which is likely), a default filter.ini will be created for you, and your opera6.ini will be updated to point to it. This only happens once when you first run OperaAdFilter.

While OperaAdFilter is running, just right click any ad, select COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, and OperaAdFilter will pick it up and offer to block this image's path. Once added, you will never receive content from that path again!

Everytime you create a new entry, the file is autosaved. When you exit OperaAdFilter, the file is saved. Opera must be restarted for the changes to take effect - and some ads may still reside in the browser cache (simply clear out your cache).

You have to have OperaAdFilter running for the "copy image address" trick to work.

operaadicon.jpg

If the shortcut wasn't created on your taskbar or desktop go to Start - Programs - Opera Ad Filter to open the program. It will ask if you want the contents of the clipboard installed. Click Yes. You can create the shotcut from Opera Ad Filter in Programs to your desktop and drag it to the taskbar if it wasn't created to make the process easier.

Okay. I downloaded the .zip file and placed it in the Opera profile folder. I then unzipped it and ran the program. Where it asks to be installed I browsed to the profile folder where I placed the .zip file. Close Opera then go to the profile folder and open the operafilter folder. You will see operaadfilter.exe. Double click it and it will see that you do not have the filter.ini file and ask if you wish to create it. Say yes and proceed. Once it is created it may ask if you wish to place whatever is in your clipboard to the file. Just cancel. At the upper left click the second item on the toolbar and you will see where to get the updated ads block list.

If you have Win95/98/ME you will see an additional item that needs to be added at the same page you downloaded Operaadfilter from.

After unzipping the file I pointed it to the profile folder.

operaadfilterexe.jpg

This is my profile folder.

operaprofile.jpg

To find opera6.ini

In Opera go to Help in the toolbar and click About Opera. You will see the location of the file.

Normally it's under Opera\Profile\opera6.ini

You may have to go to control panel/ folder options/ view and select show hidden and system files

Also uncheck "hide file extensions of known file types"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks good TT_75.

Like you said before. It is a little confusing the first time you try it.

Maybe this will help others who are trying Opera.

Are you going to make it a sticky?

Now to try and figure why I can't get the shortcut to my taskbar.

Right click on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right clicked and quick launch is checked.

I guess if I really want to save a couple of steps I can uninstall everything and do it over again. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the taskbar isn't locked just drag it to the taskbar. You will see a black line when it is in position to release it on the taskbar. You may have to slide the taskbar further open to see if it's on it.

Right click on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right clicked and quick launch is checked.

I guess if I really want to save a couple of steps I can uninstall everything and do it over again. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the taskbar isn't locked just drag it to the taskbar. You will see a black line when it is in position to release it on the taskbar. You may have to slide the taskbar further open to see if it's on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I finally got it to take in the task bar. I just kept dragging it to the taskbar and it finally stayed there. So I guess I am ready now.

Thanks again for everything TT_75. :D

Edited by tman70