New Opera User Needs Help

Like a lot of people yesterday I downloaded Opera and am now trying to learn how to use it.

I just got spell checker to work so I am making progress.

I posted this problem in open chat, but think I need to post it here.

I am having trouble with OperaAdFilter 1.01. I don't know where to download it. Do I put it in Opera? If so, what folder? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Any steps would be appreciated.

OperaAdFilter V1.01 FAQ

How do I use OperaAdFilter?

Run the program. You will be asked to point to your opera6.ini file. The program will parse that ini and see if you have a filter.ini setup already. If you don't (which is likely), a default filter.ini will be created for you, and your opera6.ini will be updated to point to it. This only happens once when you first run OperaAdFilter.

While OperaAdFilter is running, just right click any ad, select COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, and OperaAdFilter will pick it up and offer to block this image's path. Once added, you will never receive content from that path again!

Everytime you create a new entry, the file is autosaved. When you exit OperaAdFilter, the file is saved. Opera must be restarted for the changes to take effect - and some ads may still reside in the browser cache (simply clear out your cache).

Okay. I downloaded the .zip file and placed it in the Opera profile folder. I then unzipped it and ran the program. Where it asks to be installed I browsed to the profile folder where I placed the .zip file. Close Opera then go to the profile folder and open the operafilter folder. You will see operaadfilter.exe. Double click it and it will see that you do not have the filter.ini file and ask if you wish to create it. Say yes and proceed. Once it is created it may ask if you wish to place whatever is in your clipboard to the file. Just cancel. At the upper left click the second item on the toolbar and you will see where to get the updated ads block list.

If you have Win95/98/ME you will see an additional item that needs to be added at the same page you downloaded Operaadfilter from.

If you get confused reply back. I was at first when I downloaded and installed it.

http://www.operaadfilter.com/

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\opera6.ini

That's where it says it is, but when I follow that, after the first Opera folder I don't have another Opera folder. I have two folders, Mail and Profile. That's it and there's no Opera6.ini file in either of them.

I smell a reinsrall coming. Dang I've got this set up the way I like it.

Why do I have the weird problems. Nevermind, that's another thread.

Is there a recommended uninstall method? I want the files in their intended places.

Okay----I did the install according to your instructions and even got the updated ad block list. I then closed it out and went to my sons web site at tripod that is ad supported,right clicked on an ad and clicked "copy image address", but nothing happened. what now?

Okay----I did the install according to your instructions and even got the updated ad block list. I then closed it out and went to my sons web site at tripod that is ad supported,right clicked on an ad and clicked "copy image address", but nothing happened. what now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I saw somewhere you have to close Opera and reopen to have it take effect for that particular ad. Not sure about that though.

I haven't had time to check this out yet, but here's some info.

Opera equivalents to Firefox extensions - Virtuelvis

http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2005/01/ope...efox-extensions

broadband » Forums » Security » What's a good AdFilter for Opera 8?

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14123350

Edited by flatiron__2

Have closed Opera, reopened still nothing. Have even rebooted and still when I right click on an ad and select "copy image address" nothing happens.

Have also uninstalled Opera and operaadfilter via uninstall feature, search-find, and regseeker. Re-installed everything clean, still operaadfilter does not work for me.

Edited by tman70
How do I use OperaAdFilter?

Run the program. You will be asked to point to your opera6.ini file. The program will parse that ini and see if you have a filter.ini setup already. If you don't (which is likely), a default filter.ini will be created for you, and your opera6.ini will be updated to point to it. This only happens once when you first run OperaAdFilter.

While OperaAdFilter is running, just right click any ad, select COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, and OperaAdFilter will pick it up and offer to block this image's path. Once added, you will never receive content from that path again!

Everytime you create a new entry, the file is autosaved. When you exit OperaAdFilter, the file is saved. Opera must be restarted for the changes to take effect - and some ads may still reside in the browser cache (simply clear out your cache).

Did you clean out your cache as suggested?

Do you mean the Flash ads?

This is all covered in the FAQ.

Can I block Flash advertisements too?

Yes, but its not nearly as easy to do as image-based ads. Since you cannot right click a Flash movie and get the name of the server path that is hosting it, you have to find the server by looking at the SOURCE of the web page. Right click somewhere on the page, select FRAME->VIEW SOURCE CODE. Once you are looking at the source code, search for "SWF" and you should find the full path to the Flash ad .. something like this:

http://flash.adserver.com/blahblahblah/ad.swf

You can manually add this server to your filter.ini by following the examples including in the filter.ini file.

Some Flash servers don't actually have the SWF extension at the end. The good news is, most Flash ads come from the same place as the image ads. If you block the path to the images, you might block the path to the Flash too!

You have to have OperaAdFilter running for the "copy image address" trick to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[Run the program. You will be asked to point to your opera6.ini file. The program will parse that ini and see if you have a filter.ini setup already. If you don't (which is likely), a default filter.ini will be created for you, and your opera6.ini will be updated to point to it. This only happens once when you first run OperaAdFilter.]

I have done the above. I have made the new filter.ini file. I have copied the updates to that file. I have cleared my cache.

Is there a button that I have missed that says " PRESS TO RUN PROGRAM "??

When you copy image address go to Programs and click Opera Ad Filter to open the program. The box will open and ask if you wish to add what is saved to your clipboard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/The...eraAdFilter.jpg

When you copy image address go to Programs and click Operaadfilter to open the program. The box will open and ask if you wish to add what is saved to your clipboard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still unsure as to where to install the operaadfilter.exe file/program.

In the Profile folder?? C:\Program Files\Opera\profile folder. Is that right?

Or C:\Programs Files\operafilter?

XP!