Hi all,

I'm currently running an AMD Athlon XP 1500+ with 512mb RAM and XP Pro SP1.

Last week I had several brown outs within a short period of time that caused my PC to reboot as many times. (I have since purchased a battery back-up.)

I ran Scandisk, etc. to hopefully fix any potential file issues that may have occurred due to the numerous reboots.

However, ever since the brown outs, I've been having problems with getting online. When I attempt to sign on, my ISP attempts to initialize my cable modem and then I get an error message about the DNS server(s) can't be reached. So I went into my Network Connections and right-clicked the Local Area Connection icon and selected "Repair". That seemed to work as that allowed me to get online.

All was well until I rebooted my PC the next day. The same DNS error message occurred so I tried the same solution only to get another message stating that the IP address couldn't be repaired. I contacted my cable company and they were of little help. I tried several differnt cable modems and I installed a new NIC card, none of which helped.

Yesterday, I rebooted again and during the boot process, it kept searching the IDE-0 and the OS would never load. I finally shut everything down and waited several minutes. I booted the PC and everything loaded and I got online.

I'm almost scared to shut the PC down or even reboot for fear I may never get it all back again.

Sorry to be so long winded; but I want to make sure I give as much info about the problem as I can.

Any help at all to fix this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Baytownbud
Hi all,

Last week I had several brown outs within a short period of time that caused my PC to reboot as many times. (I have since purchased a battery back-up.)

I ran Scandisk, etc. to hopefully fix any potential file issues that may have occurred due to the numerous reboots.

However, ever since the brown outs, I've been having problems with getting online. When I attempt to sign on, my ISP attempts to initialize my cable modem and then I get an error message about the DNS server(s) can't be reached. So I went into my Network Connections and right-clicked the Local Area Connection icon and selected "Repair". That seemed to work as that allowed me to get online.

All was well until I rebooted my PC the next day. The same DNS error message occurred so I tried the same solution only to get another message stating that the IP address couldn't be repaired. I contacted my cable company and they were of little help. I tried several differnt cable modems and I installed a new NIC card, none of which helped.

Yesterday, I rebooted again and during the boot process, it kept searching the IDE-0 and the OS would never load. I finally shut everything down and waited several minutes. I booted the PC and everything loaded and I got online.

I'm almost scared to shut the PC down or even reboot for fear I may never get it all back again.

Sorry to be so long winded; but I want to make sure I give as much info about the problem as I can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe try this go to Start/Run/cmd and on the command line type ipconfig /flushdns......this will clear out the dns cache......

Hi all,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this is a PCI modem you might have fried that PCI slot. try another slot for the modem. My brother-in-Law had the same problem and it was the PCI slot. If that doesn't work, I would think it was the modem. If it is a External modem you can try unplugging it and then wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. Be sure to reboot.

Edited by lefty1953

try going to services and enabling dns to auto

go to administrative tools- services

scrol to dns.

right click .

properties .

when in there press start then click the

drop down and set it to automatic.

might work

marty