Ok, i clean installed my computer and i lost the disc for my printer and scanner.

I I installed the scanner, but it said i needed a TWAIN file, and i was wondering if any of you knew what it was and where to get it.

As I am typing this I believe i may have gotten the Driver to work for my printer. I will update this if it works.

So I need S200 Canon driver for Windows XP, and need to know what a TWAIN file is and why my Canon D646U scanner wants it.

Ok guys I got the S200 to work, I now just need to get this twain driver for my scanner. I am not that big of a virgin after all. :)

Edited by TheTrueDarkOne

Hi TrueDarkOne and welcome to Besttechies!! Don't think I've welcomed you yet.

I know TWAIN is a "button" on the scanning program but I looked in my Visioneer Scanner Manual and couldn't find out what it means (not even an index--hmph!).

You probably already did this, but did you go to Canon's website? I checked Visioneer's site and found "driver downloads" in the support section there.

Liz

Yeah you can go to the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for the scanner. Twain is the way the scanner talks to the computer. If you get the drivers they should include the twain files

Heh, sultan i had searched the same thing, went to a site downloaded the twain thing and nada :(. I went to the site ( canon) downloaded the driver and nothing. :(..Sry to waste your time forgot to re-update was having fun fixing printer and other problems.

So Printer fixed

Scanner- The driver is wrong ( so device manager says). I will work further on this. So thanks for you help

This may be way too simple, but did you try unplugging the scanner from the computer, wait a few minutes and replugging it, then trying the driver download?? Like maybe somehow XP didn't recognize the type of scanner??? I know thats a "stab in the dark" but that's what I would try.....

Liz

Tried it...I will have to stay up all night to make sure sis gets home from a party ( sick or else i would have gone) so i will have all night to mess with this...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make sure you unistall all theold drivers that didn't work and remove any references to the scanner in device manager etc that you can find. then disonnect the scanner and reload the driver, if the XP one doesn't work, try the 98se or W2k one. Then AFTER its installed , plug in the scanner.

XP also has a scanning feature built into it. (its under accessories) you might want to run thru that wizard and see if you can get it to work)

Just in case it's not clear, TWAIN is a standard for devices to talk to one another, it's not necessarily "a file," as you stated in your first post. TWAIN capability is built into most device drivers for the devices that can use it, so just getting and installing the correct drivers should get you up and running.