Xp/internet/virus?/idk Help!

Did you turn off system restore when you ran these? if not, those deleted items are probably coming back on reboot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um... no how do you do that? Something mush have worked though because my internet is working great with the exception of an occasional pop-up. However Norton Internet Security still isnt working properly... tomorrow I am going to try to reinstall it along with System Works and possibly go out and buy Pest Control. Thanks for all the help guys... esp JSKY. I couldnt have gotten this far without you.

start, control panel, system, then click on the system restore tag, check the 'turn off system restore' then apply, ok

Then re run the scans

after they have run go back and restart system restore

Personally, even after turning off restore and clearing everything out with various tools, I'd either run the IE repair tool or even reinstall IE. Each tool may, or may not, make a clean repair. I'd hate to have trouble after all that work, so just in case I'd "fix" IE back to a fresh state before I tried to use it.

Personally, even after turning off restore and clearing everything out with various tools, I'd either run the IE repair tool or even reinstall IE. Each tool may, or may not, make a clean repair. I'd hate to have trouble after all that work, so just in case I'd "fix" IE back to a fresh state before I tried to use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, I would suggest still doing a HJT log and posting it in the right section for the HJT Experts to look at. Sounds like your system was messed up good. And they will be able to help you with the final touches

Well, I just finished running ewido with the System Restor turned off and it only found 17 infected objects. Next Im going to run a2-squared with it turned off also. After that I am going to run the System File Checker to repair IE and finally I will run HJT. Could HJT reveal why Norton isnt working?

Yes, it could. There could still be things that are stopping it.

Go to Trend Micro and do a free online Virus Scan using HouseCall.

HouseCall

This will find any viruses that could be on your PC.

Well, I just finished running ewido with the System Restor turned off and it only found 17 infected objects. Next Im going to run a2-squared with it turned off also. After that I am going to run the System File Checker to repair IE and finally I will run HJT. Could HJT reveal why Norton isnt working?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as you have internet access, Do the online scan from Trend. I had Pest Patrol and I personally think that it wasn't any better than the free programs. Adaware, Spybot, A2 squared, and Win Patrol are on every pc or laptop I own or work on. I also recommend IE Spyad. I vitually never have problems on a pc or laptop using this combo. Along with a good anti virus and soft firewall. The problem you had is typical of a system that was left wide open for attack. Once you get all this stuff cleaned up and in working order, I would also go to the Microsoft Windows update and get all the updates, especially the critical ones from there. This seems like it would be common knowledge but I have found so many don't do these things until the system crashes.