Batten Down The Hatches

Wow, Pat, that's a wonderful thing that Intel is doing!! Some kids (and their parents) in my neighborhood had a lemonade stand for the Red Cross. How sweet. Gladly paid $5 for my glass of 25cent lemonade :) AND they were extremely busy all day.

repeating: "Has everyone been accounted for now?" I think so, but anyone know for sure?

Liz

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makai, I'm guessing the Natl Guard problem might be due to so many being sent to Iraq--our little Armory was sent over there about a year ago. :(

I read Bozodog's post and turned the television on. It is such a sad situation, hell on earth. And I'm afraid some of the residents aren't helping the big picture, with the looting, arson, rape, shootings--a two year old killed in a stampede?? What??. Why are these people behaving that way??? It just saddens me.

At least I saw a shot of a convoy of trucks arriving with help.

Liz

Aw, Pat, just as I was replying to it!!!!! :D See you in the rant thread (and I agree with you!) The human spirit is stronger than we give ourselves credit for, we only have to be determined enough to test it.

Liz

:D:D:D:D:D Well, at least you can spell correctly. When I'm in that situation, I can't spell worth a darn. (and I betcha I backspaced 8 times when posting this post!!!) Just finished reading another thread that "got me going" :D

Liz

Well, on a hopeful note, Michigan's governor personally called the local Ramada Inn asking if they can help put up refugees until at least January. The fact that she called, not an office worker, really impressed me! (No, "blonde daughter" wasn't working that night, but the guy who did work front desk is very smart and assured her that it was the governor's voice!)

I sure hope some refugees are able to be right here in my area. Won't be able to do much, but I can at least bake a bunch of cookies, help out with rides, or share the kid's outgrown toys. I prefer actually doing something than simply donating money.

Saw on the news today that Battle Creek, MI (near Bozodog and CFHFan) willing to take 10,000 refugees.

the details

Considering Michigan's economy is one of the worst in the nation, I don't know if LA is willing to send folks up here (they won't be able to find jobs and then there's the brutal winters!), but it sure is a nice gesture. Proves the poorest folks will give their last dollar to a good cause.

Liz

That's great that your state is jumping in to help.

And yes it would be nice to personally help out individual families.

Though I imagine they will suffer some weather shock once winter arrives in your neck of the woods.

Sorry about being so steamed up last night folks.

I thinnnnk I'm calmer today, due to not watching much news I'm sure.

As for spelling, gotta love the new Google toolbar spell checker, that is when I remember to use it. Ha! I do leave in my own idiosyncrasies (hey it even works on guessing on partially spelled words like that one that I couldn't guess the rest of!!!)

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Whooo Hooooo!!!! It was just announced on the news that 500 refugees are due to arrive in Battle Creek, MI :thumbsup: Those people are probably going to settle in the Grand Rapids area (about an hour from me), but it's a start!

Liz

News from Holland Michigan.

Several families, now homeless, found a safe haven with Tony and Rochelle Holmes.

"My house is open to these people for as long as it takes," said Rochelle Holmes, 41, standing Saturday on a yellow smiley-faced rug in her kitchen. "It's more people than I imagined were coming, but when God moves you to do something, you have to be obedient."

Tears slipped down Holmes' cheeks as a stream of Hollanders dropped by her home, donating food, mattresses, linens, clothing, money -- even ice cream for the kids. Several benefactors lingered in the yard with the refugees, offering words of comfort.

Story here

The tentacles of killer Hurricane Katrina now have reached 900 miles north, to an unsuspecting business on Apple Avenue in Egelston Township.

But not so much in a bad way.

an immediate federal government order for 100 new travel trailers to house hurricane refugees. And he says he could get an order for 250 to 700 more.

The trailers, 28 to 32 feet long, are expandable via "slideouts," and sleep six to eight people, Sobczak said. He sold them to the government for between $15,000 and $20,000 apiece, which Sobczak said was a "discounted" price.

"It is an expensive operation for the government," Sobczak said.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, responsible for helping the hundreds of thousands of Gulf Coast hurricane victims get back on their feet, requires the trailers to be brand new -- never before titled -- and have air conditioning and heating.

MORE

Edited by bozodog

How'd I miss your last post, Bozodog??? Lakeshore RV is only about 40 minutes from me :thumbsup:

No More Refugees for Michigan

"Washington,DC - Late Wednesday afternoon The Department of Homeland Security announced no other hurricane evacuees are coming to Michigan.

Instead Michael Chertoff says they will be given a choice of where they can go.

He also insisted evacuees already in Michigan be put into temporary housing, not shelters like the one set up at the YMCA on West Leonard Street.

The Salvation Army is helping locate vacant homes or apartments.

Of the hundreds now staying at Fort Custer in Battle Creek only 150 say they're interested in staying. The rest say are looking for transportation assistance only."

Sigh, well, I'm dissapointed. :( I was so geeked to do some physical help, but I expected it also, with our economy, weather and distance from LA...

Liz

I hope we find other ways to help. The local radio stations had a remote joint broadcast last week. They collected $40,000 in a few hours locally. One business matched their employees contributions 10x.. And you should see the clothes and household items being collected. Remember folks, these people need "everything".

:wub: Here's something warm and fuzzy:

The 3-month-old pup is a source of brightness for Reed and others at the evacuee center. They call his name and rub his belly. In all, four dogs and a cat arrived at Fort Custer this week with the 289 survivors who are making the complex their temporary home.

The story in Michigan here

And the story from here, Kalamazoo

Edited by bozodog