Aol Is Fined For Being Hard To Cancel The Service

*News Theme music* *Fade out, Fade in*

Hello, my name is DarkestDream, the TSS 5 News Reporter. i found a great story about AOL is being fined for being hard to cancel the membership.

It about time..... now Time Warner should consider letting AOL go. they already got half of Adelphia. AOL is fined for being hard to cancel service on member's request. but AOL refused to do that, so when member cancel the service, AOL still getting people money from the bank or credit cards. so only way is to get a new bank account and emtpy the old bank acocunt or cancel your credit card and get a new one (you can freeze credit card but im sure you will get mails from AOL complaining about your card is froze)

So AOL is offically fined for doing that, the are forced to pay 1.25 million dollars in "damage" for that.

This happening more when many people dont like AOL and want to switch to boardband which is cheap also but provided a great speeds than AOL have.

Thanks you for listening to TSS 5 News, this is DarkestDream and good night

*News Theme* *End Show*

Well everyone, let talk about AOL

Hmm...true. My friend recently switched from AOL Broadband to a different ISP, AOL was keen on keeping him. They just kept offering free service for many months....he eventually left them, though....

I myself left AOL 2 years ago for DSL...I never regretted it :D.

AOL is known to be quite stubborn. Now it seems they've gone over the edge...

Gosh, cancelling AOL was a piece of cake for me, I must have gotten lucky.....but it didn't completely dissapear off the Possessed Gateway until I reformatted it (links and stuff)...When folks call it a virus, I believe them!

Liz

I always said to my self, if AOL wasn't an ISP or a commercial company, they would be considered adware :D :D :D. No offense, though, to AOL in any way....:D :D :D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that why we call then AOHell. i thanks my parent for not using AOL, but other family on my parent side using AOL, i feel bad they fell for it

I'm not anti-AOL so as a minority I hesitate to respond, but ...

From my experience all you had to do to cancel membership is call them to cancel without accepting their free extension. Yes, you may have to insist, but I'm not stupid, greedy or a wimp so that wasn't a problem for me. I wanted to cancel, not extend my free subscription, and that was that. The only difficulty was finding the correct number to call, though it wasn't THAT difficult to find (it's in their Help section -- should they have to list it on their home page?).

Any service run on an automatically renewing basis tends to assume you wish to keep their service, or you wouldn't have signed up for an automatically renewing service in the first place. I've had more trouble canceling magazine subscriptions or home services than I had cancelling AOL.

But then, AOL's a popular target (along with MicroSoft, et al) so all faults are magnified and all benefits are minimized I guess. Pick on the big guys, it's the American way!* :lol:

AOL=Adware was mentioned and coincidentally I just read an article that it's going to get FAR worse. AOL is selling everything to anybody. Subscriptions are down so they're gonna SELL! SELL! SELL! I don't know where they're gonna fit in more ads, there's only so much screen space and (as I recall) it's already half-filled with ads ...

Edited by JDoors