About a month ago someone PMed on the G4TV Forums me with some suggestions on my http://mboverload.no-ip.org/tech/recyle.html page. He pointed out correctly that the Recycle Bin was, when it was introduced, as a way to "bring back" deleted files so my title may not be entirely accurate. He also pointed out a few other things on how NTFS (maybe FAT also) "deletes" files by adding a ~ in front of them... something like that.

I changed the title and told him I would correct the article as soon as I could. Before I did that the retarded 100 private message limit made me delete the files. Only after I hit the button did I realize what I lost! Doh! He took the time to message me on how I could improve my page with the correct info and I feel bad I have not completed the changes. If you post here or could descibe the problems like he did I would be most in debt to you.

I read the NTFS Wikipedia and several pages with in depth information on how it works. However I came up empty-handed.

I also feel bad I don't remember his name. :(

Deleting file on NTFS and FAT is quite a bit more complicated than changing the name. But I don't know if it really matters if you're only intereted in clobbering the contents of the file.

Incidentally, I think it's kinda funny that people get confused about the operating of the Recycling Bin. It is called the Recycling Bin after all, not the Oblivion Bin. It sounds like it reuses old files to make new ones. If people would just take it literally they wouldn't be surprised when they learn that little bits of their files are still around.

Deleting file on NTFS and FAT is quite a bit more complicated than changing the name.  But I don't know if it really matters if you're only intereted in clobbering the contents of the file.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't want to be giving people bad information. But if it is as complicated as you say it is and not easily explainable then maybe I should just remove the section.

This link works

Don't know if I should be ashamed of it. Don't want to be seen as some loser simplifying things to the extreme or as "talking out of my ass about things I know nothing about".

Thanks.

Edited by mboverload

Both articles look fine to me. Your table of contents analogy captures all the important points and is essentially correct. IMO adding more detail, accurate or not, would be a distraction for the reader.

Edited by jcl

I'll see if I can remember what I my PM to you covered (I've purged my PM folders too).

----------

While this information may not be 100% accurate, it will convey the concepts used in file storage, file deletion and file recovery.

When a file is created, an entry is made in the "Table of Contents" (to use your term) including (among other things) the File Name, the File Size, the number of Data Blocks (clusters) used to store the file, and the location of the first Data Block of the file (in other words a link to the first block of the file).

Each Data Block in the file contains links to the Previous and Next block used by the file.

Special link values are used to indicate the first block (Previous = -1 for example) and last block (Next = -1) of the chain.

There is also the File Allocation Table (FAT) that tracks which Data Blocks on the drive are in use.

Without the Recycle Bin when a file is deleted, the first character of the File Name is changed to a "~" (tilde) and the Data Blocks used by the file are marked as Available For Use in the FAT.

The data itself is not erased and can be recovered as long as the Data Blocks aren't used by a new file.

File Recovery programs can scan the Table of Contents and locate the tilde entries and list them as potentially recoverable.

Typically all that's needed is to ask the user for the first character of the File Name, as the Table of Contents entry still has the rest of the information available (File Size, number of Data Blocks, and First Block Address).

(Most recovery programs display a question mark, ?, instead of the tilde, ~, to indicate missing information).

More sophisticated File Recovery programs can even recover files if the Table of Contents entry for the file has been reused.

This is done by using the Previous and Next links in the Data Blocks to attempt to recontruct the file.

Some types of files record the Table of Contents information in their first Data Block and this information can aid in rebuilding the file.

The Recycle Bin was introduced to give users a second chance in case a file was deleted by mistake.

For the most part the Recycle Bin is just another folder, but with some special handlers associated with it and some additional information recorded.

With the Recycle Bin active, when a file is deleted it is moved to the Recycle Bin folder, and information about its original location is recorded.

The Data Blocks used by the file are still marked as In Use.

But the space used by files in the Recycle Bin can be used for new files if the space is needed, even if the user doesn't empty the Recycle Bin.

This space will typically be used only as a last resort, so the user has an opportunity to easily recover files.

Programs like Eraser make file recovery virtually impossible by overwriting all the information about a file.

The Table of Contents entry is cleared completely.

The Data Blocks' information is (at least) zeroed.

(For more secure deletion several different patterns of 1s and 0s is used to wipe the file).

And the Data Blocks are marked as Available for reuse by the operating system.

------------

I think that's most of the old PM.

Anyhow, hope it helps.

I'll see if I can remember what I my PM to you covered (I've purged my PM folders too).

----------

While this information may not be 100% accurate, it will convey the concepts used in file storage, file deletion and file recovery.

When a file is created, an entry is made in the "Table of Contents" (to use your term) including (among other things) the File Name, the File Size, the number of Data Blocks (clusters) used to store the file, and the location of the first Data Block of the file (in other words a link to the first block of the file).

Each Data Block in the file contains links to the Previous and Next block used by the file.

Special link values are used to indicate the first block (Previous = -1 for example) and last block (Next = -1) of the chain.

There is also the File Allocation Table (FAT) that tracks which Data Blocks on the drive are in use.

Without the Recycle Bin when a file is deleted, the first character of the File Name is changed to a "~" (tilde) and the Data Blocks used by the file are marked as Available For Use in the FAT.

The data itself is not erased and can be recovered as long as the Data Blocks aren't used by a new file.

File Recovery programs can scan the Table of Contents and locate the tilde entries and list them as potentially recoverable.

Typically all that's needed is to ask the user for the first character of the File Name, as the Table of Contents entry still has the rest of the information available (File Size, number of Data Blocks, and First Block Address).

(Most recovery programs display a question mark, ?, instead of the tilde, ~, to indicate missing information).

More sophisticated File Recovery programs can even recover files if the Table of Contents entry for the file has been reused.

This is done by using the Previous and Next links in the Data Blocks to attempt to recontruct the file.

Some types of files record the Table of Contents information in their first Data Block and this information can aid in rebuilding the file.

The Recycle Bin was introduced to give users a second chance in case a file was deleted by mistake.

For the most part the Recycle Bin is just another folder, but with some special handlers associated with it and some additional information recorded.

With the Recycle Bin active, when a file is deleted it is moved to the Recycle Bin folder, and information about its original location is recorded.

The Data Blocks used by the file are still marked as In Use.

But the space used by files in the Recycle Bin can be used for new files if the space is needed, even if the user doesn't empty the Recycle Bin.

This space will typically be used only as a last resort, so the user has an opportunity to easily recover files.

Programs like Eraser make file recovery virtually impossible by overwriting all the information about a file.

The Table of Contents entry is cleared completely.

The Data Blocks' information is (at least) zeroed.

(For more secure deletion several different patterns of 1s and 0s is used to wipe the file).

And the Data Blocks are marked as Available for reuse by the operating system.

------------

I think that's most of the old PM.

Anyhow, hope it helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh thank you Curling!

And jcl for the latest comments!

I thought win 3.1 explains this so easy.. when you use "undelete" the program asks you for the first letter of the file that was deleted...you had to tell it where to look...the silly part is, if you gave it a wrong letter it would still undelete...go figure.

Here is a tip. At G4, when you reach your PM limit, choose export and save it to a file . It will save as pmexport.txt. YOu just put in a date like 082405pmexport.txt.

It will save all your PMs as a single text file , very small. You can check the box "delete after export " and it will save them to your hard drive and it will erase them there leaving a clear PM box to refil.

Here is a tip. At G4, when you reach your PM limit, choose export and save it to a file . It will save as pmexport.txt.  YOu just put in a date like 082405pmexport.txt. 

It will save all your PMs as a single text file , very small. You can check the box "delete after export " and it will save them to your hard drive and it will erase them there leaving a clear PM box to refil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thx pete