Hardware Not Present

first it should be a text doc not a propritary word doc as only microsoft word can make those. to test it in linux type cat /media/floppy0/nameoffile

see what you get

should be the text.. i fso just attach the file to your post.. no need in opening them.

as for command not found .. ether mistype or you may need to be root

here is what I think you are missing..

in windows the first user is the administrator.. this 100% wrong on and secuerity model. that means any spyware, ,any virus or any bad thing you do can kill your entire system

in Linux (UNIX) you have root.. root is the admin.. but you are a user adn only a user. you must switch user (su) to become root, to admin the system. this means that if you get a virus or anything it can only effect you.. not your system. this is why virus do not reproduce in linux and unix and the real reason no one is writing them for us. it woudl not be as effective as a windows worm that uses a open port and bam that service is running as admin because you are loged in as admin..

lastly.. to me this is easy.. but you need ot take perspective of what you are tring ot do right now.. and you would see it would be impossable to do on windows..

you are tring to take a driver written for a totaly diffrent system, and make it run on yours.

thast the same as taking a PS2 game and try to run it on your Xbox. to accomplish this you are using a wrapper around a windows protacal called ndis. which means you need to add a module to your kernel (the thing on any OS you need to protect the most) so that it can translate Linux wireless networking into a windows wireless network.

so yes this will be harder then most things.. the ironic part is ..... if you have a first version with a prisum chip insted of the anti-Linux company broadcom it would work at boot. the first time every time.

thats it. im sick of this. i need someone that could physically be around to show me how to work all this linux stuff. i dont understand anything. i cant even save that dmesg and lspci info to a floppy disk. how much harder could it get? i'm definitly not saying that windows is better but should an operating system be so confusing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ndiswrapper is a bear to work with at times--this is why it's the backup method for getting network cards to work.

ya so i ditched ubuntu and went for mandrake 10.1. it seemed like a good idea at the time but its no better. i went to the ndiswraper website and it said they got the wmp11 to work on mandrake 10.1 with ndiswrapper 0.9 and the bcmwl5 driver. i have all this so now im trying to get it to work. i went into the package manager and installed ndiswrapper 0.9. it said it installed successfuly but when i go into terminal and type ndiswrapper -i and then the path to the driver. then it says ndiswrapper isnt a file or directory or something like that. whats up with it now?

p.s. and when i type sudo it asks for my password. but heres the weird part. i type in my password and then it comes up with the words "broken pipe". i just dont get these things. thanks

It seems odd that it would ask for your password at all, IIRC, there is no "sudo" in Mandrake, you'd use "su" in this case.

This could be the problem as ndiswrapper might not be in "your" path but in roots path...I'd try:

su
password:(root password)
ndiswrapper -i /path/to/your/driver

post back with results...good luck. ;)

Edited by tictoc5150
thanks tictoc. i did that and then added the drivers and now it finally says
bcmwl5 hardware present,fuzzy

i dont know about the fuzzy part but hardware present is good to see. still doesnt work though. i type "iwconfig" and it still says no wireless extensions. what gives?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a little progress...I'm not sure but I think all that was lacking is loading the module, I probably should've included that in my last post.

So my original post should've read:

su
password:(root password)
ndiswrapper -i /path/to/your/driver

Check to see if it's loaded...

ndiswrapper -l

Load ndiswrapper kernel module...

modprobe ndiswrapper

then check iwconfig again...see if you have success with that and post back results.

glad to see ya' hanging in there....good luck. :)

i already did modprobe ndiswrapper. that was one of the things i did before i asked what else was wrong. remember, im using mandrake 10.1 now. i think in ubuntu, there was a file called etc/network/interfaces and you had to edit the interfaces file to connect. is there something like that in mandrake or anything else i need to do? probably the only reason i keep trying to deal with linux is because i really need an alternative to windoze.i'd get a mac but it costs a lot and theres absolutely no way to play my windows games on it. which is a huge disadvantage. where as in linux i've seen a few different programs that will allow you to do that.

It's been a while since I've used Mandrake so I'm kinda stumped.

Since the driver and module are loaded and the hardware is recognized, have you tried config'ing it through hardrake? I ask because, I've used a few different wireless cards with Mandrake and I don't recall any of them identifying as the same network interface (wlan0, ath0, eth0, eth1...etc.) So if possible, would be better to see if mandrake just names it and lets you configure the rest. I think this would be automating the edit of /etc/network/interfaces.

Sorry, I don't really have much more to offer than that...It looks like you have one of the worst cards for linux compatablility. :blink:

Edited by tictoc5150

HOOOOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im writing this from inside of linux.... do you know why? I finally got this stupid card to work. i couldve never done it without you guys though. thanks a bunch.

p.s. i'll probably have other problems as i go deeper into the world of linux so this isnt a good bye :thumbsup:

That's awesome, man!!! :D

Not sure how much I helped but you should be proud of yourself for hangin' in there.

I think the obstacles that you overcome is one of the most rewarding things about using Linux...The knowledge and patience you develop keeps you from pulling your hair out the next time something doesn't work or breaks....A close second would be knowing that I didn't put anymore money in Gate's pocket :D