• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ive used canned air , ive used numerous virus scans etc , ive uninstalled and reinstalled warcraft tons of times , ive used registry fixers to fix my registry which did nothing really ,ive went to the setup screen or w/e and changed the maximum heat allowed from 85 degrees farnheight to 95 , ive put spy bot on my computer and i have went from 3 virus scanners to one, ive changed my computer to not restart when it crashes which now results in a blue screen which i i have to shut it down anyways, ive updated my video card drivers, ive went through my device manager to find out all of that stuff is supposedly working properly , ive gotten ridden of a bad kernel ,and thats about all i can recall

ok ive used canned air , ive used numerous virus scans etc , ive uninstalled and reinstalled warcraft tons of times , ive used registry fixers to fix my registry which did nothing really ,ive went to the setup screen or w/e and  changed the maximum heat allowed from 85 degrees farnheight to 95 , ive put spy bot on my computer and i have went from 3 virus scanners to one, ive changed my computer to not restart when it crashes which now results in a blue screen which i i have to shut it down anyways, ive updated my video card drivers, ive went through my device manager to find out all of that stuff is supposedly working properly , ive gotten ridden of a bad kernel ,and thats about all i can recall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So basicly you have done nothing about your heat issue. Your cpu is being over worked. I know you don't want to belive me but I'm almost positive thats the cause.

Your fixed are, remove the heatsink and re apply thermal paste to make sure you have a good solid conducter under there (it does dry out and become virtually useless)

Make sure the h/s fan is clean and spining freely

Add more fans to the case to improve your airflow.

Set you BIOS temp back to how it was (allowing it to overheat is only causing more damage)

Change your cpu t something more powerful.

um you forgot some things there for one im trying not to let my dad find out , 2 i got no money and plus i dont know wtf your talking about when it comes to the heat sink and [removed]. as for the fans i got 4 or 5 already which are working find and dandy , its not that i dont appreciate your help just i cant do those things

Edited by Efwis
i got a report thingy saying vpu recover reseted or something cuz my graphics accelerator stopped working, what do you make of this? could it be the reason why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this could be it.

First , right click on desktop/ properties /settings / advanced/ troubleshoot

Where is the hardware accelleration? Try moving it one notch to the left. This will decrease performance, but can identify if this is a problem.

Second go to start/ run and type

dxdiag and hit enter.

Check to see if there are any problems.

What version of direct X does it say you have?

um you forgot some things there for one im trying not to let my dad find out , 2 i got no money and plus i dont know wtf your talking about when it comes to the heat sink and [removed]. as for the fans i got 4 or 5 already which are working find and dandy , its not that i dont appreciate your help just i cant do those things

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't know how to do something ...ask. Removing and cleaning a heatsink is a pretty simple process. We can find you a link on a step by step how to if you want. (I'm sure someone has one cached somewhere)

Thermal paste and cleaning the h/s will cost you, at most $1 for the paste, maybe even less. The cleaning costs nothing.

You might want to not keep hiding this from your dad, he may be able to help you find the problem. Not all parents are schmucks you know?

A machine that constantly reboots/freezes or blue screens or crashes out under stress, like in a game, usually is attributed to only a few things.

1) bad drivers, you say you have accounted for that

2) incorrect DX version, again accounted for that

3) Weak powersupply, not accounted for

4) over worked CPU or GPU. Since you have an ati9800 I doubt its the card. CPU is still your unknown variable there

5) Heat> if your system is hitting the shut off point in your bios, those fans are not keeping it cool enough or the h/s fan and cpu aren't working well.

In any case, you are going to have to learn how to pop the h/s off, apply the grease and reseat the sink. And while you have it off, you should inspect the cpu for actual heat damage (browned edges or spots on the chip itself)

as about my dad let me give you some background my dad is not stupid with computers , that was not my reason for not telling him my reason for not telling him is the fact he's a [removed] , he's a fat dry drunk [removed] idiot , if i tell him im only gonna get a [removed] fest 2000, in fact the last time i got him to reformat my computer he was threatening to take it away from me , cuz if he takes it away from me well [remove] man that means im [removed] outta luck so rather than lose my computer and see this all go to [removed]im gonna try to fix my problem myself , could you send me those sites tho plz?

Edit, Please watch your language here, there are people that would appreciate it if you don't swear. This is the only warning that will be issued.

Edited by Efwis

OK, i'm getting in on this now.

from what i have read, you are having at least three major issues.

1) the cpu is being overworked, causing it to run hotter than it should.

2) you say you have extra fans, then i am wondering if you have upgraded your power supply. if you are usig the original power supply, it is being ran up to its limit or beyond.

3) updating your drivers, is good, have you updated your via 4 in 1 drivers?

what most of what parrotgeek and Pete C have told you is true.

also making the comments about your dad, is not a good thing.

but from what you stated you have, and what the game requirements are, it looks liek the major mistake is trying to run games on a system that is not up to par for the games.

now you more than likely have things running when you are playing the games.

that also adds more use to the CPU. that is why games haev minimum requirements. if your sytem does not meet them, then you will have problems.

listen to pete and parrotgeek. they know.

]how do i update my power supply.

Buy a new one is the only way to update power supply

what drivers should i update to help solve this problem.

All of them, if possible

Motherboard

Video card

Modem

Any other hardware you may have

go to the manufactures web site and get them

cuz some of my drivers i do not know who manufactured .

Well, the your going to have to open case and get a flash light and start looking for numbers on the components to get this info. write them down and start entering them into Google and you will get you make model and manufacture by doing so

Edited by Schusterjo

Okay i am going to recap a little here for you things you may want to try

1. Heat

Yes, I know you already looked into this, Yes, the common response to heat is take a can of air and clean it. This is my way in diag heat issues,

Take a house fan open the side of the case and turn on high blowing into the computer while you are doing whatever made it crash before. If this helps at all then

"Buy a can of PCB cleaner" (Printed circuit board) at Radio shack ext... Unplug the computer and let sit for oh about 20 minutes (just unplug it before you goto the store to buy the can and do it when you get back) open the computer, put a towel under the computer and spray away. much better then just blowing air. let dry for about 10 minutes (pretty much is dry in a few seconds anyways but better to be safe).

2. driver

Start,run,type in "dxdiag" select "display" run 3 test at bottom....

Start,control panel,system,hardware,device manager... look for any yellow if there is may be a conflict or bad device or just need to reinstall driver..

never hurts to uninstall the driver with the manufacture uninstall if they have run and reinstall....

3.Power supply

This is a little harder to diagnose due to the fact if it is not totally dead then you have to "load test" and most people do not have the equipment to do so.

Could be a undersize power supply for all your hardware and making it overheat.

"heat" same thing use PCB cleaner to clean as well (pull it out turn with a opining to the bottom and spray into from the other end.. "use goggles" doing this..

4.Faulty ram

If the stick is having issues it is hard to tell sometimes.

several ways to test ram.

best way is if you have multiple sticks then just pull one out at a time to see if that fixes it. (had this happen before "both sticks bad" in this case only a new stick would work for this proceedure)...

memtest86 download and run it.

Other programs such as Sandra are great for this as well

5.video card

best way is to try another

could use "dxdiag" to test may show you some errors and once again try Sandra for a benchmark to see if it performs at it should.

6. Harddrive

most manufactures offer a self diag program at their website to test the harddrive.

Sandra and other software will help but not really diag it specifically.

A good guide for this is

Hard disk diagnostic tools

and

Diagnose Your Drive

Keep in mind the best place to check first is the manufacture website that your hard drive is from

200 ways to revive your HD

Those are the general things that make a computer crash hardware wise.

Sure, other components may as well but the listed ones above are the most common reasons.

ok i think something is kicking the bucket or i got a really bad virus cuz my computer just kicked out while playing a song this has gone from just games to doing little things what do you gusy think , is it clean something time or replace something time? btw dad is not an issue anymore mom told him

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You really need to go thru the steps we have all outlined for you and actually do some of them. A virus does not make your system overheat.

Start with the free solutions, i.e., read the articles on how to clean the cpu and heat sink and inspect them for damage. ( i suspect you have probably damaged your cpu by allowing it to get too hot...when you changd your bios settings)

fter the free, then start with the powersupply, then the cpu and then the ram. If you have a different system to try the video card in, that falls into the "free" category too.

well about that now my computer gets too hot from sitting idley , my dad was no help all he did was like i thought complain saying its my fault the computer is getting old and crapping out , plus i dont got a job so no money income , my computer can barely surf the internet without shutting down now but i got all i want on an external hard drive so im good , plz help if you can for a guy with no budget what so ever