My Girlfriend has a slow computer and I am working on her Startups. I have several programs I will be removing using Codestuff Starter. However, I have searched lots of Startup Indexes and cannot find these listed below and am hesitant to remove them because I don't know whether they are essential. Anyone know anything about these programs that are ticked in her MSCONFIG startup program. She is running XP Home.

Love Mfcd

qttask

msnappau

mtsoemon

SyncroAd

WebRatesO

Love Mfcd

qlypkp

bvlrhggn

conscorr

mtsoemon

emomail

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Process File: qttask or qttask.exe

Process Name: Apple’s QuickTimeTray Icon

Description:

qttask.exe prduced by Apple, installs a tray bar icon which links to the Apple QuickTime video streaming tool. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for ease of use.

~~~

Process File: msnappau or msnappau.exe

Process Name: MSN Messenger Updater

Description:

msnappau.exe is part of the Microsoft MSN messenger system, a chat application which also allows for file transfers and online conferencing. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference.

~~~

Love Mfcd ??

mtsoemon ??

SyncroAd Possible spy/adware

WebRatesO Possible spy/adware

qlypkp Possible spy/adware

bvlrhggn Possible spy/adware

conscorr Possible spy/adware

emomail Smilies for email

Download/install/scan

adaware, spybot s&d, spywareblaster

M

Thank you all for responding so quickly. Yes I had already searched Google and several comprehensive lists of startups with no success and she has already done spyware checks and defragged etc. Thanks mike for the ones you did find. I will get her to download Codestuff Starter and take these startups out one at a time. I suspect that none of them are essential but its not my computer so i m being very careful. Thank you all again for your responses

Bryan

KaZaA is not safe.. at any time.. with any version. You do not need anything you listed above in startup. In fact with xp..you can uncheck everything. I would first uninstall ANY startup manager or program you are using. Click start - run - type msconfig and under the startup tab uncheck what you do not want running.

Everyone says Kazaa Lite is safe to use and doesn't have spyware or anything, but I take the safe route.

As for using MSConfig, some say not to, some say that what the people who say not to is BS, I say take the safe route and use a startup utility.

That's just me though.

Well.. I understand your standpoint. Although, its perfectly safe to uncheck items in startup in msconfig. Where this problem (of users thinking its not safe) originated is from someone who misinturpreted M$'s precaution to turning off services in msconfig.

Hey Crow, Pete Covell says it is not a good idea or the best way to take startups out using MSCONFIG. I respect Pete's knowledge in computer things and will abide by his method.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses Kaaza Light if they have had any trojan, virus or spyware problems using it

Thanks Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope you have a good firewall, and Virus/Trojan apps on board.....

If your friend still wants to use KaZZa, create a folder on a seperate partition than the OS... ie; Drive_D The point is to isolate whatever folder she uses from the rest of the system... Try this free app to create a new partition.

free trial

You may want to run some apps to catch any malware there too:

works great! and,

check for updates often!

>>>>>># Edited for spelling # <<<<<<

bryanernest-

Yes, Pete and I have argued this point for..well...quite some time. (and when I say argue I mean it in the best ways.. Pete's a good dude) but this is a common misconception that is easily cleared up here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...estoreperf.mspx

and scroll down to were it says "Remove Autostart Programs". This is true with any Windows version and is the best way to remove applications from starting up. Now if you dont trust Microsoft on this issue then I dont know what to tell you. There's nothing wrong, on the other hand, with using startup managers but how do you think they work :)

oh..by the way, you do know that when you use msconfig to keep these applications from starting that your NOT deleting/uninstalling/erasing anything right? Also you can open the application itself and go to its options and remove it from the system tray there as well.

I used Kazaa Lite for a long time, and never had any problems with spyware or viruses.

Yes, Kazaa has spyware, but NOT KAZAA LITE. She is safe with the version she has. I even went through my computer using numerous apps to verify this and found it completely true. Kazaa lite was a version produced without the spyware and crap that Kazaa normally comes with.

Well its not so much that kazaa has taken spyware out (the fact that it was there to begin with should tell you something) its simply a vermon hole, a problem waiting to happen. If it wasnt for the fact that I see logs everyday from users that got infected because of using kazaa, my opinion would differ I am quite sure. I am sure there is probably a way to use kazaa and be safe, but wouldnt it be better to just use WinMX or eMule and aviod the issue completly?

well,if i may add something on this MSCONFIG thing.

using it isnt bad per se.

however there are alternatives,not necessarily better though.

my tip is to look what programs are these.

then open the program and try to find its tools/options.

probably there you can find something that says "launch during startup".

you can ucheck that so that the program wont load durin startup.

not only is it "not bad"... microsoft reccomends it. But your exactly right in your reccomendation ...and is the first thing to do to remove it. Its just that users need to know msconfig IS a utility and thats why its there :)

The thing about Kazaa lite is that it wasn't even built by the same people....which is another reason why it is so hard to get that version now. The creators of Kazaa filed a lawsuit against the creators of Kazaa Lite for copyright infringement and other things. Every program has it's holes....Kazaa Lite proved it fixed the holes that Kazaa Lite had.

<edit> I would also like to add that I no longer use Kazaa Lite because files had gotten too hard to find on it since lots of users started switching. I now use a program called Shareazaa.

Thanks Crow, your comments make a lot of sense. I have sent that Microsoft XP item to restore the speed of your computer to her and hopefully she can get the problem resolved. Thanks also to everyone else who responded too. I know she will continue to use KAAZaa lite harmful or not.

Bryan

that is 90% of the problem robroy, its like I conversation I was in yest. about linux and windows. Someone was bashing M$ for its security flaws at the same time worshiping linux, if linux was 1/2 as big as M$ then they would be the target of hackers and exploited just a like. If you use winmx, emule... whatever.. you can still get worms/virus's just takes a little common sense when downloading. I mean..if you see (for example) WindowsXP and the file size is 27,000 b's ...then that should tell you something.