Stupid Ping/plus Bias

Okay, so I did it, I will be honest with you, I downloaded and installed something I know I shouldn't have. I was trying to find an MP3 of the Counting Crows song "Holiday in Spain" featuring the Dutch group Blof, and downloaded something called Net Pumper. Well, I stopped it half way, because I knew I was in trouble.

I run MS AniSpy, avast! AV, and Sygate. When the need hits, I also turn on WinPatrol. Well, the first thing that happened was I lost my IP address, and when I asked to repair, it wouldn't do it. After taking a startup program out that I knew didn't belong called "Plus Bias" I rebooted my machine and it fixed my problem.

Now, even after deleting Plus Bias several times, and it's forlder "Stupid Ping" it keeps coming back and trying to install itself (MS and WinPatrol stop it, fortunately.)

How do I get rid of this?

HJT Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 4:45:32 PM, on 8/18/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe

C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [smcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe" -quiet

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1122382829483

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

Hi paxman356 and welcome to Besttechie :)

After looking at this log I would have to say this is clean and you have a different problem.

I'm going to recommend one thing for you to try please.

Step 1:

Download the eScan Antivirus Toolkit Here. Save it to the Desktop, it is roughly 10MB in size.

Before running the program we need to update the signature files first in Step 2.

Step 2:

Updating the eScan Antivirus Toolkit with the latest files:

1.) Double-click on the mwav.exe file saved to the Desktop; it will extract the program files to a new folder called Kaspersky at the root of the C:\drive. (C:\Kaspersky.)

2.) Double-click on My Computer, double-click on the Hard Drive (usually the C:\drive), find and double-click on the Kaspersky folder; inside the Kaspersky folder, find and double-click on the kavupd.exe file. Double-clicking on the kavupd.exe file opens the Windows command prompt (DOS screen) and updates the program with all the latest signature files.

3.) After the update is complete, the bottom of the command prompt will read "Press any key to continue", click any key to close the screen.

Please do not run a scan with the eScan Antivirus Toolkit utility yet.

Step 3:

Please reboot into Safe Mode. Detailed instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode Here.

Step 4:

From Safe Mode, run the eScan Antivirus Toolkit. Please follow these instructions:

1.) To run the eScan Antivirus Toolkit program, look for a file called mwavscan.com inside the C:\Kaspersky folder.

2.) Double-click on the mwavscan.com file; this will open the eScan program.

3.) With the eScan interface on your Desktop, make sure that these boxes under Scan Option are checked : Memory, Registry, Startup Folders, System Folders, Services.

4.) Check the Drive box, this will give you access to the other Drive box (radio button) below it, check this second Drive box as well, now a large window across from the second Drive box appears. In this window use the drop-down arrow and choose the drive letter of your hard drive, usually C:\.

5.) Below these boxes, make sure the box Scan All Files is checked, not Program Files.

6.) Click the Scan Clean button and let the utility run until it completes a thorough scan of your hard drive. When the scan has finished it will read Scan Completed. Do not Exit the tool just yet.

7.) Open a new NotePad file (click on "Start" >> "All Programs" >>"Accessories" >> "NotePad"), then Copy/Paste the content of the Virus Log Information window into that file, and save it. eScan also creates a full log inside the C:\Kaspersky folder (named mwav.log), but it is huge and cannot be posted on a forum. Please post the content of the log you have saved (into NotePad) in your next reply, once all steps are completed.

Reboot your computer into normal Windows.

After this is complete also send me a new hijack log please. :)

Okay, did as you suggested. Before I even did, though, the problem had gone away. I still snagged two viruses (of which I didn't save the log, although I thought I hit ctrl-c before leaving the program.)

Here is a new HJT log. Thanks for your help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 10:50:20 AM, on 8/22/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE

C:\Program Files\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [smcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe" -quiet

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1122382829483

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

• 1 month later...