Did We Do A Bad Thing?

I admit that threads like that are pretty much a waste of time due to a lack of actual discussion. But they're really fun too. Also it's a lot of space, it takes more to record all the posts than the actual content. Most of what I do is try to find places to post in thread games like that. That's way my boards are pretty much dedicated to thread games.

This is B's forum, when in dought, the owner always wins.

LOL B, thanks for the forum. :D

I agree that from the outside it can look like a lot of post count boosting (well more than look like, I suppose, cause it does boost counts), but I think everyone in there doing it was doing it with the best of intentions and not for that reason. I had a lot of fun seeing how other peoples' minds work! Yours scares me a bit mac - :P

If we do it again, I'll be a part, but if not I certainly understand. It was a fun time! And there is always more fun to be had around the bend.

Watch out for those ninja monkeys though.... :ph34r:

I don't really believe anyone here was out for a post count. I believe everyone was just out to post here at BestTeckie. We are just trying to keep things going here. This WILL be a very good place.

Most of us right now, have a good idea about computers. And those that don't are here to learn what they can. We have had some very good questions so far for help. But those are few and far between as of yet.

We will need more people looking for help to find there way here to BestTechies, before we have to worry about those that are just out for a post count.

As now, we have a very good list of those from the old TTV days. With a wealth of information. And a good start at one fine support forum. But we all will need to find ways to get the word out about this fine place.

I for one don't want to see BestTechies slow down and just become lost in the shuffle. We have lost way to many others to the four winds at the ending of TechTV. And I don't need to say much about the kids at G4. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I still like G4 for the people that are there. It's the ones who out-number those that care.

So, If for now we can run a thread where everyone comes to post, even if it might be nonsense. We are still comming here to post. And to see if there is anything new in other parts of this forum we can add our two cents in. We all want to see this place keep growing and be able to learn and to help others.

Just my two cents worth.

now before I made this suggestion to B I wanted to ask you guys what you think.

one thing that would discourage post counting (posting just to increase your post count) and that I personally thought was very cool on another board who shall remain nameless to me (cough Leoville cough) sorry, had a little something in my throat. didn't taste very good.

Anyways we had custom titles for at least the veteran members. Like town drunk to town sherif probably for the admins. It discourages post counting and I though was a lot of fun. Buuuuut there was in all honesty a little jealousy.

What do you guys think, should we use something like this or would it cause more problems than the town drunk? Could we even handle something like this.

I think it would be a great idea. I never really paid much to post counting anyway. Even back to some of the old flame wars on TTV over post counts. Mr. B can restart me back to 0 everyday and it wouldn't stop me from posting at all. Some days I might make one post, and others might make 50 or so. When you think of the old TTV boards, sometimes you made a number of post in one thread just walking someone through a problem step by step. and no one worried about post counts except for the kids who were new and putting in comments that made no sense and had their count up in the hundreds, (Dutchbro-spyall) and so forth.

And we allready have our town drunk!!(I won't say who, but we all know). LOL

I agree, I love the idea if B is up for it. I am like JSKY in that I would post even if posts weren't counted at all - if they had no count at all towards anything. But, I don't think that B minded about that - could simply have been just a size thing. Those threads do tend to get huge realllllllly quick. But, if the post count thing is a problem, perhaps a thread could be set up like the test room where none of the posts there count towards anything. I did have a lot of fun doing it and it'd be fun to continue it. If not, that's cool too.

Anyway, back to the naming idea...I think there could be a few people who could be in the running for town drunk. LOL...I'm not pointing fingers cause 3 always point back at me when I point fingers...and one thumb kinda off towards nowhere.... :blink: Yeah. Anyhoo...I like the idea of fun...but, naming conventions like that require some work I think. Oh, who am I kidding - I have no clue about that side of it. What say you B? Any of the other admins who we don't include often enough perhaps? Galadriel?

..... We are just trying to keep things going here. This WILL be a very good place.

Most of us right now, have a good idea about computers. And those that don't are here to learn what they can. We have had some very good questions so far for help. But those are few and far between as of yet.

We will need more people looking for help to find there way here to BestTechies, before we have to worry about those that are just out for a post count.

As now, we have a very good list of those from the old TTV days. With a wealth of information. And a good start at one fine support forum. But we all will need to find ways to get the word out about this fine place.

I for one don't want to see BestTechies slow down and just become lost in the shuffle. We have lost way to many others to the four winds at the ending of TechTV. .....

On another board I belong to, the Admin asked if anyone would be willing to contribute their graphic skills, by making some banners for his site, that friends have offered to put on their sites. The members would then post their attempts, and get suggestions from the other members. Some, nice banners, came out of that little experiment.

I thought this was a pretty good idea. The members got to show off their graphics skills, and the Admin got some banners, that could be used on websites, to link to the board.

Many of the members then put them up on their personal sites.

A good way to advertise the Besttechie site. A couple of his request:

• Different banners (a wide variety of sizes and shapes)
  • People can see the banner and know what type of site we are (a support site and what they can gain from coming here)

Then he took those banners, and put them on a page with link instructions.

Win, Win.

Just a thought.

I see a naming sys in many boards. I could see the pro for this would be to show the hierachry of the board. Con for this would be jealousy and post padding (remember that phrase from CFH) to get the next upper level title.

Most people will be able to read the post and see the intelligence of the poster.

Exception to this rule, mac, sometimes he's in a dark area of his mind. :wacko: No offence mac, you are very knowledgable.

M

Hi TG! Yeah I made some banners for the admin.....Theyw werent the best but if B wants some I can pitch in! I also will add them to my site along with the ones im soon going to upload for the other site! I like the post counts. Not all people just post for fun. So some post counts are true help ones not just junk. I wont stopposting if we drop them but I like to see how many I have posted over the years... Its just neat I say....

Hi tenmm,

No, you did not do a bad thing, it just became to big, but it was fun at first that's why I didn't lock it until now.  I let it stay alive for a long time, but it was just getting to big.  Hope everybody understands.

B

Hi B.

I'm the author of the word thread that was locked. I have a small request/ suggestion.

Would it be possible to unlock the word thread and maybe increase the server capacity at BestTechie.net if there is a slow down?

I post regularly at Leoville and there are threads that exceed 1600 posts. I can understand if a thread is locked because of improper content/ spam. I whole heartedly agree wih the way the mods monitor this forum. Besttechie.net is the most friendly place I know on-line.

respectfully submitted,

hitest

Hi hitest,

The reason I locked it wasn't really because of it's size. It was because I was afriad that people were using it to bump there post counts. I was also afriad it was going to get out of control evently. This is what I will do I will reopen it in a little bit, but if I think people are just using it to bump there post count then I will drop them right back to 0.

I hope everyone can understand that. I'm reopening the word thread.

B