I have received two Emails lately from (supposedly) Pay Pal

They are informing me that due to the need for increased security, they will now require a check card to be associated with my account,

I am already verified with them and I don't use the account very often. I also keep a zero balance in my account and only put money in there when I buy something.

Has anybody else gotten mailings like this and does anybody know if they are legit?

I don't have a good feeling about this............

Jim

Hi Jim,

Son used PayPal for something once and hasn't received any such email.. He did recently receive a "quarterly statement" email and this was at the bottom of it in light grey lettering.

"This PayPal notification was sent to ******@******. To modify your notification preferences, log in to your PayPal account, click the Profile sub-tab, then click the Notifications link under Account Information. Changes may take up to 10 days to be reflected in our mailings. PayPal will not sell or rent any of your personally identifiable information to third parties. For more information about the security of your information, read our Privacy Policy at https://www.paypal.com/privacy.

Copyright© 2005 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131."

If your email doesn't contain this, I would certainly bet it's a scam. And thanks for the "heads up" :thumbsup:

Liz

One thing that I do with email from suspicious sources (PayPal, Ebay, etc.), if I decide to open them at all, is 'Copy Link Location' and then 'Paste' it into a new text file (Notepad or whatever) and see if it matches EXACTLY what it appears to be in the email that I received. Also, regarding PayPal (and some others), do not click on any link that does not go to a secure (https) website. Remember, some of the URLs look (are spelled) similar to the original, but not exactly the same - they hope you will not notice.

:ph34r:

Hi Jim,

Son used PayPal for something once and hasn't received any such email.. He did recently receive a "quarterly statement" email and this was at the bottom of it in light grey lettering.

"This PayPal notification was sent to ******@******. To modify your notification preferences, log in to your PayPal account, click the Profile sub-tab, then click the Notifications link under Account Information. Changes may take up to 10 days to be reflected in our mailings. PayPal will not sell or rent any of your personally identifiable information to third parties. For more information about the security of your information, read our Privacy Policy at https://www.paypal.com/privacy.

Copyright© 2005 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131."

If your email doesn't contain this, I would certainly bet it's a scam.  And thanks for the "heads up" :thumbsup:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What didn't she say that was needed? Good job:D

Aw, shucks, Fallen Chance, thank you :wub: And welcome to Besttechies!! I know you from somewhere else (I just lurk there) and you're a welcome addition to the family!!

But just like there's a half dozen different ways to do one stinkin' thing in Windows, the more tactics the better when dealing with the crooks :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim