About U?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Special Welcome Just For You, DarkestDream *Great Big Hugs, too* You're one of the "new folks" I'm getting to know quite well!! Hope to get to know you even better.

Liz

Edited by blim

I'm a recent crossover from the G4 board after originally starting with the TTV board around 2002 or so. I'm a 34 year old dude originally from Alabama, but my career in the Navy has had me living in several places. I currently live in Jacksonville, FL, with my wife (also Navy) and our daughter (too young yet to join the Navy). I enjoy cooking and detailing cars. I picked up the detailing gig between after leaving active duty. That didn't pay as well as flying with the Navy, so I affiliated with the reserves to get back in the air and pull down some extra cash. I am also a home theater and car audio enthusiast - not so much now as I was before since I now have satisfactory systems in the house and in the car. I am also a bit of a gadget freak, which makes me frequent boards such as this to learn new tricks and help out when possible.

Good to see you jasonlh...Hey were your computer skills acquired from the Navy?

My favorite car audio system is Alpine. i dunno i think its in a Lamborgine?

i did hook up some Clairion speakers to our old 73 Monte Carlos factory audio system once! Limited knowledge here. i just go for what sounds good to me i just phased 'em off the original wires.

OK i heard the words " help" and ...Well aren't i transparent...i'm here cuz i'm always looking for help!

Welcome to BestTechies!

Go Navy!

Hey if the "deaf guy" comes back here...Welcome to you too DarkestDreams!

Damn i wish i took that sign languare course ;) i'm playin...

Isn't it cool that the net can bring people from all walks of life together?

Edited by echobay
Good to see you jasonlh...Hey were your computer skills acquired from the Navy?

No, I learned a lot by just poking around and seeing what things did. I frequent several tech boards and picked up plenty more knowledge by reading the solutions to people's problems. You never know it all, so I expect I'll continue to learn cool tricks and troubleshooting skills.

Thought I'd better get aquainted with this site's different boards after I joined when I found this topic. I've enjoyed reading the 'thumbnail' sketches of each of you.

I just turned 61, am Native American (Comanche/Shawnee), originally from Indiana and now living in Texas. Married to this hubby for 31 years, and survived raising 5 kids (his 3 and my 2). Have 11 grandkids and 1 greatgrandbaby.

My main interests are riding my motorcycle (member of Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.), going with hubby in his Big Truck (been in all 48 and Canada), my 2 cats - Sammie and Cookie. I am a board member for a local home for abused, abandoned, and homeless women and children. I counsel with women like that - been there and done that, so know what they are going thru.

I don't work any more. Would rather be 'on the road'. But that has to be put on hold for awhile. Had to have 2 back surgeries that haven't done me a whole lot of good. So spend my time on the computer and trying to figure it out. So I expect I'll have lots of questions...some of them about basic stuff. At my *ahem* age, I'm a little slow at times understanding what's what, so please have patience with me.

From what I've seen so far on this site, I think I'm gonna like it. That other 'nameless' site seems to have gotten rather 'abrasive' lately. No longer very friendly. This one is easy going, like family.

Ya'll have a great and blessed day!

Karen

Karen, you'll love this place. I'm sorry for what you've been through, many of us have been through one sort of mill or another, and the folks here put aside their differences (which we're gonna have) for the purpose of getting along and helping each other, technically and otherwise.

edit: for spelling as always.

Edited by Makai

Welcome Karen,

I also am a Christian, a Survivor of childhood and early adult abuse, 61, married to a great second hubby for 35 years as of next month, no kids, only started with the computer three years ago, also neck and back problems from a long ago car accident. So we share some common ground it seems.

I hope you get back to feeling ok with your back. Be sure to have a good chair at computer, and brace back with pillows. I have a nice fitting plastic patio chair, with a Target cheap pillow behind my back and that works fine. In fact when I'm hurting pretty bad I come in here as it is so comfortable a chair. I am short legged, so I use the 5 inch from the floor connecting platform shelf of my antique library table (now my computer desk) for a foot rest. The foot rest shelf takes the strain off my low back to have my feet up. And don't forget to get up and move every now and then, or back will ache worse from not moving often enough.

BestTechie is a Safe place, like a really good family. I think you will enjoy it here.

We have had quite a few newcomers, but everyone is settling down (I hope!) after being upset over G$ mess last week. Many of us came originally from TTV, then to G$, then here. So it really seems like we are family, and I hope you feel like that too soon.

Liz (Blim) and I both are kind of famous here for asking noobie questions and everyone has been great to us, no mean answers like G$ does. And if it ever did happen the mods, and Jeff the owner would take care of it, and we members would give the poster some "peer pressure" to shape up. So like I say, it is a good Safe place.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Wow, LCplMurphy, that's great!!! Sign language is so expressive and actually somewhat easy to understand if you really pay attention (except spelling!!) I've always wanted to learn it, unfortunately all I've learned is "apple" and uh, .....well, the cussword everyone knows.....

Encourage her!!!!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 42 (base unspecified... not 10), a EE major at GaTech (year unspecified and indeterminant) with an affinity for signal processing and digital microelectronics, and an on-again-off-again programmer (Z80/M68k/6502/IA-16 assembler, C, C++, RPG II, COBOL, Java, PERL, PHP, Python, *SQL, Scheme, Common Lisp, oCaml, Haskell, Verilog, VHDL, MATLAB, you name it, I've probably messed with it and eventually become fed up with it).

TA extraordinaire (field unspecified), "OS enthusiast" (whatever that means), maintainer of a medium sized website (~6k users currently; URL unspecified), veteran in customer abuse, and an eternal cynic and creator of rambling lists (with a propensity for the prolixly verbose and a penchant pertaining to parentheses).

A part-time construction worker (masonry, drywall, and occasionally electrical), and a full-time tinkerer (cars, boats, electronics, the neighbor's feline; whatever I can get ahold of).

OS/400 is the best operating system in the world, argue with me and risk death. The runners up (in no particular order) are OVMS, Plan-9, TRON (not an OS per se, but who's counting?), and of course Hanoi OS.

I've used this Interweb alter ego for about 7 or 8 years now, but I have others that also see frequent use.. Any additional information about me you'd likely have to drag out of myself or CC or just use your LDAP-fu to obtain.

Euler, Fourier, LaPlace, and Gauss (and Jordan) make my life miserable but strangely I have come to embrace them. Cramer's rule makes my life much better, but only for a suitably small definition of `better.'

The soundtrack to my life consists largely of Sigur Rós, Cake, Air, the pillows, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, -M-, Django Reinhardt, Muse, Collective Soul, SR Vaughan and Double Trouble, Yoko Kanno, WIZO, die aerzte, Ome Henk, KOMPRESSOR, and whatever else might pop into my album collection.

The best movie I've seen lately is "Das Weisse Rauschen."

I am uberpenguin.

-uberpenguin

Edited by uberpenguin

Nice to meet you, Uberpenguin!!!! I won't pick on you about OS/400 because I have no idea what it is (noobish is bliss!) and am glad to see that C++----My son is taking a C++ class and even though, "so far so good", if you ever see a post from me concerning C++, it is him using my screename begging for help with homework!! Just don't give him the answers outright, make him think! ;) Yeah, I'm a mean mommy. And I'm glad I don't have a cat :D

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Wow and read every post, so nice an insite into lives

Retired 57 y/o. 2 years ago from living electronics since 1956. Parents owned a coin machine business until my sell out in 1992. 1st arcade game was Pong, Atari was stupid to not patent and many other knockoffs were used. Quit the videos with the laser based Dragons Lair and others. Z8080 CPU was a big time break thru.

1968 grad with my AA Technicain degree, with a slide rule (before calculators)

1969 my Commercial radio telephone license (taken NYC) TV station required

1970 my Broadcast Engineer from CIE, that the GOV paid for in my spare time in Vietnam

1969 -31 Aug-12 June, Vietnam, working long haul microwave communications, using 50kw Klystrons and dishs about 35 feet. Also had a satellite uplink, downlinked to Clark in the Philippines, giving our soldiers a free call home, 5000 hours credited

My life spent as a pioneer in C-Band satellite 1979 ($17,900 my 1st) for myself

Help Charlie and Jim (DishNetwork) that still will not respect me with an E-Mail return, their 1st in 1981 for $25,000 and brag about 25 years....rats, who cares

Ham radio, wrote trhe book with 900 meg amateur television transmission

Retired after fighting many years for my Agent Orange 100% disability and reached my goal

Please not bragging, but my wonderfull life to have held the 1st 555 timer, the start of ICs and have seen 50 years worth, the progression of electronics

Far out, and Marsh is such a humble person that learns more than he has to offer

Marsh

you know what, ijust realized that I had posted in this thread but told you nothing :blush: so here it goes.

35 married, live in Iowa.

Have my own fledgling b2b business that just got started last January. have suffered from 2 heart attacks, as well as had my neck fused last December just before Christmas. Still have the occasional chest pain, think I might have had a minor attack last week, but it wasn't "bad" enough to run to the hospital over.

I have 6 kids, a pile of Debt that is crazy and a lot of friends on this board and others. my home board is Geekstogo, I got my hjt training from SWI bootcamp and TC classroom. do computer repair as a hobby and build custom machines. just started getting into java and C++ coding. have been with this board since just about the beginning.

I am adamant about my views, if you really don't like what I have to say, don't listen. I rarely if ever speak wihtout cold hard facts in black and white for proof. I love researching malware and new tech. used to be on the TTV boards, but when they went to G4 I just stopped. it was no longer a tech system it was a gaming system and a case of most people competing with each other about who was better at what game. I hate that.

well nuff bout me, see ya on the boards.

Hi, I'm Aron, Liz (blim)'s son. Finally decided to make my own account on the besttechie forums, mainly so I don't have to rob her account when I have a homework question.

Ok, lets see... About me...

Well I'm in my 3rd year of college and just finishing up my associates degree. I'm working towards a degree in teaching, most likely a double major in physical education and elementary education, or something similar to that combination. I'm 20, (will be 21 in 3 days :) ). Right now I'm the assistant coach for my old high schools varsity soccer team. I occasionally help out with their marching band too, I played the drums in high school. On the weekends I'm a soccer referee.

I like long walks on the beach, and cuddling while watching the sunset... Wait, wrong forums...

Well I guess that's me in a nut-shell.

Welcome to BestTechie's, the best boards around.

I am sure you have noticed, while lurking under Liz's name, that we are a friendly bunch. Sometimes we even throw in some help to people in need, but many of us just like to gab about all sorts of stuff, your Mom is one of the best at doing that and with a great sense of humor to boot.

I am glad you decided to join us. I hope you enjoy being here as much as we all do. Welcome to the BestTechie family.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Welcome Aboard buckwheat88

You certainly are one busy young man. Good luck to you in College. Not many want to become a teacher. I wish you all the success in the world. We always need good teachers.

I hope you enjoy your stay at BestTechie. This is a great place, with a lot of really nice people.

Barb :D

Thanks!

Yeah, I noticed my mom was very able to add her input often, with the speed that she got to almost 2000 posts. In other forums that I've been active in for over a year, I don't even have that many posts... Thats my mom for ya though, once you get her to talk she doesn't quit.

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it. I've been a coach for 3 years and a referee for about 5, so hopefully that gives me some practice for teaching, although I'm sure it will be quite different.

So far so good for enjoying my stay. Been getting quick help when I have questions.

Thanks again!

-Aron