About U?

Glad to see you made it over here, jeservices.

Nice little place we got here, and I know your going to be an asset.

I think you'll find that this board, is a lot like the old TTV boards. Bunch of real nice people, and pretty laid back.

We've got an arcade too, with a few different games.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[begin sarcasm]

Mmmm! yeah a little too great. there must be some behinde the sceens secret. like a Satanic Cult or something.

earlier today i stated an opinion of my own that conflicted with others :unsure: .....................

and nothing. no yealling, no huge arguments, no cursing, no flame wars. i'm not used to this horrific treatment of niceness, blah. :angry::P

i mean come on, how is everything supposed to stay undone and for us to accomplish nothing with this environment.

[end sarcasm]

well at least if the Satanic Cult go for my brain the ninja smiles will protect me.

"ninja smiles form http block"

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Hi! I apologise, this should have been my first post, but been trying to figure out just what I do.......I'm 47, married, "retired" 9 years ago from retail, when my kids were 10 and 12, what a blessing to be home when the kids are teenagers--Sometimes I'm feeding 10 kids, but I know what they're up to! Live in Michigan, 1/2 way up the "west coast" (or the left side of your right hand) and with exception of today, we have been freezing and shoveling. Long winter with no end in sight.

Currently I'm restoring a 145 year old Victorian home, volunteer at the high school designing costumes and props for plays, and assisting with my son's Morris Dance Team (1000 year old folk dancing using swords and sticks, best description is to look up Morris Dance on Google and look at the pictures) Leaving for a dance festival in Berea, KY this weekend and hoping to thaw out.

Found this place from searching for the next step up from the Dummies Books (which I highly, highly recommend for beginners). I've been reading "TTV-G4TTV-G4" and LTS forums for a couple of years but never joined, and reading this forum since its inception--I like the atmosphere here! From "lurking", I feel I already know many of you folks so I'll warn you. I can be a bit of a smart*ss but mean no harm--side effect of life with teenagers--And tend to ask really stupid questions. Hoping you'll put up with me. Thanks, Liz

Hello Liz,

As I said somewhere else today, welcome to these boards.

Sounds like you have the right experience to handle just about anything that could happen on a message board...in fact should be a piece of cake, after dealing with teenagers!!! But seriously this board, it's founder, and the people are great. I am sure you will like spending time here, if you can find the time with what sounds like a real busy life.

As for computer books, I really like the "How to Use Computers...Visually in Full Color" by Lisa Biow and Bob Temple and published by SAMS. I found mine secondhand at Goodwill. (www.samspublishing.com) Mine is the second edition (2002). I found a similar visual style "Teach Yourself Office 2000 Visually" (my version of office) (www.maran.com) IDG Books 3-D Visual Series yesterday at Goodwill. Newer versions of both are probably available. I really like the easy to understand graphics way to learn this computer stuff, versus the Dummies books I started with. Perhaps you would like it too. Plus if you are interested, I have lots of online resources/tutorials links to share. Just give a shout here or on a separate thread, if you want them.

God bless everyone.

welcome to the forum blim. :D

I've been reading "TTV-G4TTV-G4" and LTS forums for a couple of years but never joined, and reading this forum since its inception--I like the atmosphere here!  From "lurking", I feel I already know many of you folks so I'll warn you.

welcome again to Besttechie. :) please excue me i have to go now.

oh god were being watched!!!! :mellow::huh::blink::unsure: ....................

(runs off screaming)

they know i'm here!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

the legion of leoville are coming to get me!!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, i know i'm not exactly the newest person here, but i haven't done this yet, so here i go:

I'm a 13 year old boy (born 4/25/91) living on the west coast (Los Angeles). I don't know crazy amounts of knowledge about the computer, but i do know enough to get myself by everyday, and maybe help a person or two every now and then. I like computer hardware a bit more than software, but then again, computers aren't my biggest interest. I like to learn languages, i'm bilingual in english and gujrati (a language spoken in india, in gujrat, where my grandparents' fathers come from). I am currently trying to self teach myself arabic (which i'm doing pretty well in) and japanese (really hard, but i'm not giving up). I am a polite person, i can say to an extent without losing modesty; i value respect. Other than computers, languages, and the usual stuff, i'm pretty much a normal kid.

I'm also muslim, which is probably the only thing that stands out about me (which probably explains why arabic isn't hard for me). I usually spend my time learning the stuff i have said, or learning/helping on forums. Before Besttechie, i used to roam about on the TechTV board under the name of ssaifee786. I also love MMORPGs, currently learning programming so i can help my friend and a programming group make one.

Well, thats all i can really think about myself now without EXTREMELY boring all of you, so here you go!

don't worry kid you'll fit right in. one of the things about here is that most of the young kids such as yourself tend to act respectable and behave more like adults and the adults act more like children.

as far as crazy amounts of knowedge go. psssst! i'll let you in on a little secret. none of us know what we're doing either. we've just been playing around with our toys (computers) a little longer. ;)

Hi Sidekickcat,

Another thrift shopper, yes!!! I coined "Good Will Hunting" years before the movie came out. Still think somehow someone stole that term from me. Great for antique furniture (although I usually leave with something other than I went in for..)

When summer arrives and the kids aren't home as often (we have glorious beaches) I'll have to look for those books at the library, (even cheaper than Goodwill) thanks!

And hello Macmarauder,

Thanks for the welcome, another smart*ss on board??? (Yes, run and hide)

Liz

don't worry kid you'll fit right in. one of the things about here is that most of the young kids such as yourself tend to act respectable and behave more like adults and the adults act more like children.

as far as crazy amounts of knowedge go. psssst! i'll let you in on a little secret. none of us know what we're doing either. we've just been playing around with our toys (computers) a little longer. ;)

Thanks, that makes me feel much better.

Murtu52

mac may need help with the directions on the nuclear reactor he has in the basement. he bought the parts on ebay, from "the four corners of the globe". Your language skills may be of help to him. The rats in the basement now have two legs and three ears.

We are installing the lead lining as fast as we can.

MAC

the termites have tails!!! something is not quite right.

LOL

M

murtu

maybe you could translate from ratanese to 011000100110100101101110011000010111001001111001

so

can

http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php

maybe you could translate from ratanese to binary so that mac can read the manual.

(shrugs shoulders)

sounds good to me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Me, Me, Me...

- Open Source software advocate (*cough* junkie)

- advertising bunny by day-job

- freelance writer when I feel like it

- freelance computer work when I can get it

- encryption junkie

- super-volunteer (somewhere around 250 hours a month)

- student (headed to Angelo State U in the fall, CS major)

- activist, education reform and equal rights

- likes country, soul, oldies, rock, jazz, blues, lounge

- into jazz dance and ballet

- speaks German as a second language :)

- date-curious, not looking to get hitched anytime soon

- takes care of her mother

- lives on a military base (Fort Hood, TX)

- originally from Chicago, IL

That's enough me ;)

Hello Codemuffin and welcome!

....You're....a ...bunny? Oh YEAH, you will fit right in!

I'm originally from Hinsdale, Madison Street, just off Odgen Ave. I understand our ranch house has been replaced by a half million dollar mansion (!) I miss Chicago....once a city girl, always a city girl.

My son is a folk (Morris) dancer---*cough* download *cough* Salty Dog Rag--is that ever a fun dance. Liz

Hello Codemuffin and welcome!

....You're....a ...bunny? Oh YEAH, you will fit right in!

I'm originally from Hinsdale, Madison Street, just off Odgen Ave. I understand our ranch house has been replaced by a half million dollar mansion (!) I miss Chicago....once a city girl, always a city girl.

My son is a folk (Morris) dancer---*cough* download *cough* Salty Dog Rag--is that ever a fun dance. Liz

Heh. I use the term 'advertising bunny' as a euphemism for ' clueless industry girl that is blessed by two wonderful, wise, creative directors'. :) Not naming my employer of course, that's my dirty little secret ;P

Chicago's gotten pretty crazy these days. Too expensive for my blood. (I'm actually from Aurora, truth be told, but I love going down town for a pizza pocket. grease sensation!)

Texas is so-so, I can't take some the attitudes here, but I'll manage.

Thanks for the welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

My name is Jeff aka BestTechie owner of BestTechie.net. I'm 15 years old I live in New York about 45 minutes to an hour outside the city. Got into computers in about 7th grade and have excelled from there. I love helping people with their PC problems of any kind. Aside from PC's I love doing normal 15 year old things (believe it or not) :o

I love underground bands. Music is one of my favorites things and I listen to it all the time when I am on the computer. I either have my headphones on or it blasting on my speakers. I love IRC its my favorite thing to do when I am bored or I can end up sitting in front of the PC the entire day chatting with the fine people on IRC. Thats just a bit about me. I guess I could go more into detail with stuff but you guys have to beg me. :P

Made a page on my blog.

http://www.besttechie.net/blog/about-me/

Cya on the boards! B)

B

WOW! What a thread. I was interested to read about all the people who posted herein. LOL

OK a little about me.

I am 41/married, going on 21 years/3 children.

I live in NY close to Lake Ontario... TheTerrorist_75 it sounds like we are near each other. LOL Kewl

I am a homemaker, stay at home mom.. but thinking of getting a part time job to get out of the house. When the hub and kids start saying I should get a job it is time to listen lol :blink:

I love being outside, camping, traveling and MUSIC... I love music and I am listening to something all the time. My interest in computers developed when I finally gave into the children and we got a computer, reluctantly too I might add.. heh after a year of surfing the web all happy-go-lucky I began to have trouble with my baby.. er.. puter. LOL So I had to learn about spyware and all that.. It was a dirty job but someone had to learn it. I was lucky to find someone on line who helped me learn and was kind and helpful. Even as a noob (which I still consider myself to be) I knew I didn't want to call Dell tech help. tehe

Some people here may all ready know me from Bleeping Computer. I am a moderator there. Hi jeservices.. Hiya tg1911.. those are just a few of the familiar names.. and I wonder why I didn't get over here sooner. Thank you Jeff!

Hi Pandy,

Welcome!! You will really like it here. A great group of folks! I came into the computer era kicking and screaming, too (durn kids and their homework....).

Got a few years on you, but you sound like your kids are teenagers or just about anyways---dig your heels in and stay home with those kids. I "retired" when my oldest was 13 and it was the best decision I've ever made. Little kids need a nurturing caregiver but teenagers sure need adult supervision! Our house became "home base" and because of that, I know what they're doing ;) Just need to have an ample supply of groceries!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

I have been here for a few months and never hit this topic...I guess it is my turn...

I am a IT/IS Admin for a Aircraft Company based out of Jacksonville, FL. I have been dealing with computers since the age of 12 and haven't stopped since...can't seem to get a way from them and they seem to pay the bills...so! I am currently 22 and in 2 months I'll be taking another number down 23. I also will finish my BS/ISS (Bachelors of Science Information Security Systems) in Sept. and trying to raise the bar on my paycheck, not that I really need it honestly, but I am trying to hit the age of 30 and be retired...lol...maybe...I have the lowest of the certs, CCNA Sec+ Net+ A+, and maybe one day continue to grow on them, but I already have a job in the field with major job security, but I have a huge goal to obtain. I spend most of my work days chillin on the internet until something goes down on the network that require's me to leave my desk, and at night and the weekends I hit it hard on Halo2 and my friends houses for LAN parties, Drinking parties, and BBQ's (those are the best). I am currently dating my best friend from Highschool (2 1/2 yrs) and have known here for about 7yrs and have asked her to marry me and we have a date set for November 19th (Sat). So I am pretty excited about that. She is a Dental Hygenist and crazy enough, makes more money than a damn Information Security Officer (ISO)...still trying to figure that out on a 2 year Associates Degree...lol...but I am very proud. I spend more money than I make, so the banks like me...2 cars (Chevy Cavalier Z24 '02 daily driver, Dodge SRT-4 S3 '05), and the fiance drivers her Supercharged Tibby (Tiburon '04). No kids plan as of yet, still kinda young and not mature enough I don't think. That's about it...Living life as a Dream... :lol::PB)