Hi ladies

Making an install CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it, is definately the way to go, you'll never have to wait for that ungodly long d'load again, or even use that SP2 CD they sent you. You will have a perfect XP SP2 install right out of the gate, with possibly only a couple of new updates to get that are SP3 bound.

I think what I'll do is write a small tutorial on how to do it, basically a copy from another site, but here for your use. I'll add direct links to what you need and some screenshots of what things should look like so you can be sure you're on the right track.

I'll work on this right away and get it up for you soon.

BTW Pat, you do not need to install ALL the SP's for 2000, as they are cumulative. That means that the SP4 contains all the updates that the previous SP's had, plus the newer ones after SP3 released. All you need to get is SP4 and you're set.

Sorry Liz...forgot to explain what Slipstreaming is...;)

What you're doing is taking all the install files from your XP CD and putting them onto your hard drive in a file. Then you get SP2 in a package thats designed for special deployments in a multi-computer environment like corporations.

With all these files on your hard drive, you can give XP a command to "Combine" them, and not just add the files together, but to actually "Install" the update files into the proper places.

Then you burn the results to a CD, and you now have XP with SP2 ready to go!!

Chappy:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to show us how to slipstream XP and SP2.

Is there a way to do it using the XP CD and the D/L SP2 folder? Just curious which would be easier or more complicated. Definately want the easiest way.

Please tell us how to burn onto CD to make sure we are doing it right. The only time I've burn a CD was copying from another CD.

A tutorial posted here will be a great idea in case someone else wants to know how also.

Thanks. Greatly appreciate it.

Barb :D

Thank you so much, Chappy!! You should put the tutorial in the tutorial forum so more can benefit (I'm sure that's what you're thinking!) And I like screenshots :thumbsup: Guess if I can see what to expect, it seems more familiar when I use it!!

And take your time, I know how busy you are with forums and building your website!!

Barb, I leave burning CDs to the kids (why learn when I can just tell Son to do it!! :) ) BUT I've watched him burn CDs from files on the computer and it isn't much different at all--just an extra step. Chappy can talk you through it, but wanted you to know it's not difficult!

Liz

Thanks Liz.

I have burned a CD to CD, real easy. Also copied, I should say burn CD of My Picture folder. That is pretty much it.

I think burning a copy of Slipstream XP and SP2 is a little different. I think it has to be a bootable CD, and I don't know how to do that. I remember reading it somewhere.

Sorry to hijack your thread Liz. We should probably close this one up.

Thanks again.

Yes Liz, sorry about the sidetracking of your thread. But it sure turned out helpful, even in more ways than you planed I bet.

Thanks Barb for your Microsoft link, read it today. Interesting. Thanks to you for getting me to look harder for where the thing was hiding on my computer. Between me forgetting where I had seen it before, and it moving to near the bottom of column (when it did the new updater or when I did the updates to the updater the other day) instead of being in alphabetical order in that list so had trouble finding it before you got me started on it.

I now know I have mine set the way I wanted with no automatic update downloads or notification at all, as I prefer to go get them myself. There are fewer updates for unsupported systems, like mine just became last month, anyhow. Just the critical security ones, and ones for IE, I think.

I just realized I wasn't very clear on previous posts, I had set things up on the Microsoft site's new update page the other day, as close as I could guess at what they meant to get it the way I wanted, it was just I hadn't found it on my computer to verify it really was set up right. Also had set it up that way a long time ago, until Microsoft changed to autoupdate for everyone awhile back when they decided to force XP people to get sp 2, when I checked mine out then on that autoupdate thing on my system it was greyed out so couldn't change it to not do automatic. So that is where it stood I guess until I went to the new update site the other day and set things up my way.

Oh my I still am making a mess of explaining it. Oh well. :rolleyes: Anyhow thanks to you Barb, I found it again on my system, got the list alphabetized again, and all is well with it.

As for the Norton scan being automatic, I am glad you explained that one for me. Sure was weird when it first did it on it's own. HaHa! I am pretty good about scanning every few days too.

Chappy that is such a relief to know the special packs are cummulative, and that I wouldn't need all of them, only SP4, plus newer add-ons. Phew! :thumbsup:

Also sounds like the slipstreaming thing will be an interesting tutorial, and yes screen shots are always helpful to the faint of heart like me. So will this slip streaming work for all OS or only for XP?

God bless everyone.

Pat:

Glad you got your Windows Update all figured out. I thought that Microsoft document was much better explaining it is why I gave it to you. Yes, I understand exactly what you wanted. I like to have control of updates so I see what is being installed. Auto updates (D/L and install) are good for someone that may forget to check.

I'm glad you understand about the Norton. It is best to leave that the way Norton set it up. If you want to scan more that is fine, but at least you now know it will do it every Friday at 8pm. Net detect is part of Norton also, forget what it is for exactly. Figured if Norton set it up, leave it.

Have a good evening, and good night, late here.

Shucks, you two!! Don't apologize for a thing, it isn't needed. You know me, I hijack my own threads and turn other threads inside out and upside down!! I think of it as a branching-thing! :) Of course I didn't mind a bit and I have learned so much with this thread! And we are going to learn even more with Chappy's tutorial. So keep up with those great questions! Thank you!!

Liz

Pat:

Glad you got your Windows Update all figured out. I thought that Microsoft document was much better explaining it is why I gave it to you. Yes, I understand exactly what you wanted. I like to have control of updates so I see what is being installed. Auto updates (D/L and install) are good for someone that may forget to check.

I'm glad you understand about the Norton. It is best to leave that the way Norton set it up. If you want to scan more that is fine, but at least you now know it will do it every Friday at 8pm. Net detect is part of Norton also, forget what it is for exactly. Figured if Norton set it up, leave it.

Have a good evening, and good night, late here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for mentioning the Norton stuff, to leave it the way it is, I did think about changing it then remembered that it is best to let Norton do what Norton wants to keep it running happily. Thanks for reinforcing that idea by reminding me to leave Norton setup as they set it.

As for me trying to explain things, oh my it has been such a strange time for me with all these computer problems going on, and not even knowing what to put on the boards as a question about it.

Your link to that update info got me to thinking about this in the night last night. I think it is good that I'm finally down to just normal thinking in middle of night about the problems it has had and not having anymore of the nightmares I was doing. :rolleyes: Anyhow, the auto update thing and the partial update to be continued thing may be what was causing my computer fits when CFaith knocked me offline. The log files had lots of weird and mostly geek stuff listed, but one that was there alot was Microsoft Installer. When I was at Microsoft updates site it did alot of something when I first went there, before it even got to the update to the updater part, now there's no mention of the Microsoft Installer in the daily log file. And when I got cut off the other night no freeze/crash as it had been doing since June. So I think that may have been the problem.

Thanks to you and my midnight thinking about your link and about what I read on the new updater page when I set it up, I feel a whole lot better about thinking it maybe really is solved. Yea!!!!! :thumbsup:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

When I was at Microsoft updates site it did alot of something when I first went there, before it even got to the update to the updater part:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might have been validating your Windows 2000 to make sure it is a legitimate copy. They are doing it to everyone one time, than you will not have to go thru that again. It also is checking to see if you have their new version Windows Update V6. Once it sees you have it, you can check for updates.

You should be OK now. Not to worry. Any questions, jump on here and ask away. We are all here to help each other. This is how we learn.

Have a good evening.