Anti-piracy Check Number 2

Oh, Geez.....maybe it would make more sense for MS to merely lower their prices so the Pirates won't be compelled to swipe in the first place!! Never heard of a pirated Linux OS.

Thanks, Pierce,

Liz

Oh, Geez.....maybe it would make more sense for MS to merely lower their prices so the Pirates won't be compelled to swipe in the first place!!  Never heard of a pirated Linux OS.

Thanks, Pierce,

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, Liz! I like MS products and run them on one of my PCs,but, the cost of running legal software on that PC is very high indeed. It is silly when the total cost of the OS and installed software exceeds the cost of the hardware.

That is one of the reasons why I started to use Linux. I can't afford MS products.

People usualy dont understand when i say microsofts biggest competor is microsoft them selves. There is more pirated versions of windows than there is linux/unix desktops. I wish microsoft would have 2 versions, a version with support and one without (support being defined as "phone" and "e-mail")

Pierce

I don't see what is so expensive about paying $100.00 for XP Pro OEM. Most people have far more invested in hardware that becomes obsolete in a couple of years yet they can keep using XP for as long as they want. I paid more than that for 98SE when it first came out and I am still using it 7 years later. It actually costs less for the OS than decent anti-virus programs every year. People who pirate it should stop their whining.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
People who pirate it should stop their whining.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. All of my M$ software is legal.

However, compared to Linux ( cost= $ 0) M$ is costly. That and as you said all of the other M$ products you may need to buy like Norton AV, M$ Office can make the cost add up. I'm not anti- M$ per se.

Just making some observations on the cost of computing these days.

Each to his own. :D

One area which I REALLY dissagree with M$ is this:

I bought XP Pro--no pirating here.

I own more than one computer------I SHOULD be able to install it on ALL my boxes without any penalty or additional fees.

One area which I REALLY dissagree with M$ is this:

I bought XP Pro--no pirating here.

I own more than one computer------I SHOULD be able to install it on ALL my boxes without any penalty or additional fees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you on that one. I'm not a windows expert, but, is it possible to buy a copy of XP that lets you install it on multiple computers, like a family pack?

Hitest and Tenmm, I totally agree, too, and it would MS would be heroes if they implemented a Family Plan, heck, if I had more than one XP Friendly computer, (PG doesn't have enough juice, so Windows98 for it!!) I'd gladly pay an extra fee for a "family pack". As far as I've read, it's one OS for one computer. Stinks, doesn't it? You can buy a music CD, a video tape or a game and play it anywhere (I don't know about Storebought VS, I played it safe with Mcafee, read different theories, and bought one for each computer, but they were free with Rebate...) And pirating is the same as shoplifting, yes, they should stop whining!

Liz