Windows Vista Viruses

OK, even after reading the article, I'm confused.....shell script? proof of concept? Don't know what those mean!! Did the VirusSeekers find serious flaws in Vista or did they just poke a couple holes in it??

Gaaaad, I personally hope folks keep finding faults with Vista to keep XP around as long as possible--we might get another idiot box soon and I want XP!!! :)

Liz

OK, even after reading the article, I'm confused.....shell script? proof of concept?  Don't know what those mean!!

I'm glad you asked. They mean there's no story here. Someone discovered that it's possible to create viruses with MSH, the successor to cmd.exe (the "Command Prompt"). Since the whole point of MSH is to replace cmd.exe with a real programming environment, it would have been surprising and disappointing is that was not the case. It's tantamount is announcing that it's possible for people to create viruses on Windows. Duh.

And for the record, it's not exclusively a Vista vulnerability. MSH is available for WinXP and Win2003 as well and they are probably just as 'vulnerable'. They're being reported as Vista viruses because it's assumed that MSH, which is currently in beta, will ship as part of Vista. (Actually, I think they're being reported as Vista viruses because there's some kind of communicable disease going around that compels its victims to disparage Vista at every opportunity. But I'm still waiting for the samples to come back from the lab.)

/me is a bit grumpy about this story

Edited by jcl

Thanks, jcl!! I suppose the hackers will be quite busy to find out what makes Vista break......I just wish they'd leave Winders alone (although maybe they'll be too busy tinkering with Vista to mess around with XP and 98!). With my kids in school using MS products, I'm kinda stuck with it. Ah, what parents do for their kid's educations....

Liz

OK, even after reading the article, I'm confused.....shell script? proof of concept?  Don't know what those mean!!

I'm glad you asked. They mean there's no story here. Someone discovered that it's possible to create viruses with MSH, the successor to cmd.exe (the "Command Prompt"). Since the whole point of MSH is to replace cmd.exe with a real programming environment, it would have been surprising and disappointing is that was not the case. It's tantamount is announcing that it's possible for people to create viruses on Windows. Duh.

And for the record, it's not a vulnerability in Vista. MSH is available for WinXP and Win2003 as well and they are probably just as 'vulnerable'. They're being reported as a Vista viruses because it's assumed that MSH, which is currently in beta, will ship as part of Vista. (Actually, I think they're being reported as Vista viruses because there's some kind of communicable disease going around that compels its victims to disparage Vista at every opportunity. But I'm still waiting for the samples to come back from the lab.)

/me is a bit grumpy about this story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the clarification about this, jcl :D I know jack about Vista.