Hobby designer making money on the side - is this taxable?

Recommended Posts

Hi. I'm a full time college student and work part time (weekends, some weekday evenings). To make a little extra on the side during my spare time I do designs for websites, commissioned art and other things in my spare time. My job makes me around £700 a month, and on a good (well paid) month my designs will make around £300-400, with occasional website development jobs paying a bit more. Added all together this tax calculator says I am very close to being taxed - should I be worrying about this? Do I need to declare the designs/web stuff as income? Hoping someone here has done something similar on the side and knows what I should do :)


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy LibbyLeach, not to worry if you are paid in cash !! The standard Personal Allowance is £11,500. If you earn less than this, you shouldn't have to pay any Income Tax. But to make sure contact a tax return person near you, they will answer your questions !!

Good Luck


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.