Whenever I boot into Linux, (Ubuntu 5.04) and then go back into Window$, I noticed that my system clock is ahead by 5 hours. I was wondering if there is some setting that I need to change in Ubuntu so that the clock doesn't change when I log off.

This is not a BIG deal, really, but there must be some way to fix this easily.

Anybody got any ideas for me??

Jim

Whenever I boot into Linux, (Ubuntu 5.04) and then go back into Window$, I noticed that my system clock is ahead by 5 hours.  I was wondering if there is some setting that I need to change in Ubuntu so that the clock doesn't change when I log off.

This is not a BIG deal, really, but there must be some way to fix this easily.

Anybody got any ideas for me??

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sittting in front of my Linux box,but, it sounds like you've got your time zone set incorrectly in ubuntu. Try going into preferences or admin at the top of the screen and go into date/time settings. Make sure you're set to your time zone to your location.

tictoc or shanenin please jump in, you guys run ubuntu.

That's weird that your Linux settings are over riding your windows settings.

I dont really know how to fix it, but the problem could lie in when you installed ubuntu. It asks, upon install if your computer's clock is set to greewhich (I think) time, or at least some other time zone. Depending on what you selected, that could be the problem causer.

Matt

I dont really know how to fix it, but the problem could lie in when you installed ubuntu.  It asks, upon install if your computer's clock is set to greewhich (I think) time, or at least some other time zone.  Depending on what you selected, that could be the problem causer.

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may be correct MistaMatt90. I think the above code I gave hime will change it to local time instead of greenwhich mean time.

I deleted my previous post, this is an updated version which should work properly

To disable your hardware clock being changed at shutdown. You need to edit the file /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh . place the following line of code any where near the beginning after the first line #!/bin/sh

HWCLOCKACCESS=no

Edited by shanenin

This is my favorite multiboot issues. Every operating system on Earth with one exception expects the hardware clock to be set to UTC. Guess what the exception is.

Anyway, shanenin and MistaMatt90 are right. You have to let Ubuntu know that the clock is on local time. You shouldn't have to disable hwclock, but if that's what it takes....

I just got used to the clock being wrong in Windows.

Thanks guys. Shanenin's advice worked perfectly!!

I appreciate all the help that I get and the quick responses, too.

thanks again!!!

Jim

a month ago(just before my book purchase), I would not have been able to give you that advice. Ever since I bought my book "sams teach yourself shell(bash) programming in 24 hours", my linux skills have gotten much better, because the linux OS heavily uses bash scripts. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND ANY ONE USING LINUX TO STUDY BASH SCRIPTING. If I could say one skill that has helped me understand and use linux better, it would be knowing basic bash scripting. I stress basic, I am hardly a programmer, but know just the basics.

A book is not nessesary, I just like getting away from the computer, a book feels nice. here is a really good online tutorial

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Edited by shanenin