what are your thoughts on windows 10

what are your thoughts on windows 10, the good, the bad and the ugly. I would appreciate the input.

I am trying to decide weather to roll back or not. I know they streamlined the browser, to me it seems like you can't do as much as you can with IE.

Thanks,

Pat

Hey Pat, i like the new W10 ! I don't use the new "EDGE" that much but it seems like it does everything i ask of it ! I mainly use firefox as i did before getting W10. To me the system seems more stable over all. I have not had any crashes with it like i did with W8.1 .......... I am still wondering why in the main stream of things they gave it out free, it may be because they want to use your private info after October for their gain, or a lot of programs must be Microsoft to run programs/apps !! Well there ya go my humbled opinion !!!!

But switching back i would not because it's just a matter of time before MS will eventually let the other systems W7, W8, W8.1 and Vista all go dark. Just like XP they won't have any updates, yes they will still run but will go unprotected & some program will not work. This is the rumors i hear around !!!

That's my thoughts .......

Chuck

thanks Chuck. It just seems I can't do some things with edge that I could do with IE. Things do seem more stable and quicker but, sometimes I will save web pages in my documents on this computer (not on the cloud) like online orders, paid bills etc. IE gives me that option. I guess it's them browser I'm most familiar with. When I had XP I would use Mozilla because IE was so slow. I guess I'll keep 10. edge does give you the option of opening IE in a drop down box. thanks for the input Chuck.

Take care,

Pat

Pat i tried the Edge to save some links to web pages in my documents, mine worked fine ! How are you going about this ? Lets see if we are doing it the same. Here is how i save them !!!!

First i click the browser link (EDGE) , which highlights the web page link, then i right click mouse and select the option to copy, then open a notepad or word pad, right click it then select paste. Then click to save with option of where to save it !!

That is my way i have always did it in any operating system !!!

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

First time I did the upgrade it froze at third reboot with page fault in non paged area and rolled back to win 7.   Did my research an determined that disabling antivirus was not sufficient. I uninstalled all protection and tried again.
It took about an hour and a half for the upgrade to complete this time and no issue.
I downloaded and installed the antivirus no problem.
I tried to do the same with HitmanPro Alert with cryptoguard ( watches browsers for alternate data streams or other surveillance, and protects hard drive from being locked or encrypted by ransomware) and immediately got the page fault in non paged area. Reboot and last known good and all is well.
So warning HitmanPro may not be  compatible with Win 10.  Will have to look into that more.

Not sure I like edge, but it is just another browser to learn and I will primarily use it like I did IE for banking and secure shopping.

Installed an app from microsoft store.  It changed my login from local machine to Microsoft login using windows live.
No problem when it rebooted; but this morning when I booted up it booted to a notice of
"Cortana and your start menu and taskbar failed to load, try logging off and logging back on."
Tried this several times, tried restarting, no luck same error.

Finally did a ctrl + alt + del to load task manager and new task to run msconfig (admin) and choose safe boot.
On reboot it worked.  Determined that it was the antivirus having an issue with the windows live login. 
Uninstalled the app, reverted login to local login, and returned msconfig to normal.
Booted up fine.
(Later learned you can get to safe boot by holding shift key when you click restart from the login page).

F8 no longer works on most machines, microsoft says windows 10 boots to quickly for you to choose to press F8 and select a safe mode boot.

I have been using this program to stop most of MS use of my data & spying !! No way to tell i guess if it works !

I would make sure these are unchecked Windows Defender and Windows Updates. Watch out during the install for one third party program it offers to insall.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/donotspy10.html

Cortana is ok but i still use FireFox !!

I like the "Make a Web Note" that Cortana provides !  This really comes in handy pointing out things to my friends & clients

that they do not understand !!

Avast (free) which i still use and Windows Defender still play nice together !!

Good to see you are still out there Pete !

Chuck

I like the reader mode in Edge; it motivated me to install the reader mode extension in Google Chrome; I may see if it installs in firefox and opera....

Just found one for Firefox and it works great.
Way to go , reader mode is nice for old eyes Bigger text and no ads.

• 2 weeks later...

I am far from sold on the "Edge" browser I cannot even run the Microsoft Online Labs you would thing it would work. I admit I have not had time to mess with it. I will try this weekend. Overall I have very few complains about Win10. I have a copy of the educational version I may build a new machine for it since the pro-version I have now does not support remote access. 

Preston

Preston, i mostly use FF it will hang once in a while but i just like it better ! I think Cortana is a joke, it always finds stuff i'm not interested in & didn't ask for ! Oh well !

Chuck

Third time (that I remember) that start menu did not work and when I went to shut down  you could not do it from start menu.  The only thing that I had done was update skype; so I uninstalled it and did a shutdown and restart using task manager.

On shutdown it did show that updates were being installed, and on restart did  not get the evil "cortana and your start menu failed to start" error. Thinking back , I may have updated skype before at least one of the previous instances.

Since I don't use skype, no big loss, I will leave it uninstalled and hope for the best. 

ON restart it did notify me (this time only) that updates had been installed.

Microsoft today announced that it will discontinue support for their operating system W7, W8 & W8.1 ........ I warned everyone back in June this would happen. They will make W10 available for all those systems !! They will run just no updates !!

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Latest thing that disables start menu appears to be when windows 10 is downloading , preparing, or installing updates.
Suddenly your start menu (and edge browser) no longer respond to left mouse click. No access to programs that are not on desktop...
No shut down options. Wish they would give you an alert that they are downloading / installing updates and that is why things are disabled so you can just go away and come back later.

It installed some updates and is downloading the Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.now. 
Hopefully it fixes something worth fixing.

13% downloaded in a few minutes, so hopefully not a two hour ordeal.

Well 11:43 to 1:19, not two hours, more like an hour and a half total. 
I now see what they are referring to as windows as a service; rather than updating and patching peicemeal; and having a bloated mess; or even releasing service pack versions every so often; when things reach a point they just upgrade your version of windows to the latest version.   Keeps it clean and stable (hopefully).

Kind of terrifying though, waiting through the hour of "windows is installing" as it reboots several times and seems to crawl along. Then you wonder what programs you will have to reinstall....

Times downloading depends a lot on your computer & ISP speed ! So Mine only took 1 hr. another Lady i know took 2hrs.20 minutes !

MS does not inform you of the new build so check your up-dates !

It all depends on factors !!

Chuck

With me it came as a windows update; no warning that it would take so long to reboot / install. Would have been nice for them to put up an alert in the "New Notifications" area "New Build Released and will be installed via windows Update. Do not be alarmed when your start menu ceases to work. Do not be alarmed when it takes two hours to update windows. It is installing a complete rebuild of the OS"

What good is that annoying notification area if they don't notify you of important stuff like this.

Had my taskbar die (it disappeared, no sign of what windows are open) and start menu lock up etc again last night.
Restart looked like windows update was doing something.
Checked event viewer and sure enough windows update had installed an update to "MSN Sports" (something I do not use and did not know was installed).
Again I wish they would let you know when they are doing this....
Log files look like it may have been trying to log off and restart?  Several services (BITS, Browser, User Data Access, User Data Storage, Contact Data, Sync Host all showed crash and unexpected error after runtimebroker initiated shutdown after windows update updated msnsports

Digging it appears to be part of Edge Browser or IE. Something handled by BING...

• 2 weeks later...

They (MS) came out with the new (W10 Build) for 9 days then took it down ! They say it will be back but they will send itout to people ! So watch your updates for it !! I got my 2 computers updated before it was taken down, just some new Apps & a few extra updates, nothing big i can find !!

Wait for it ..............

Chuck

winver reports me as Windows 10 Version 1511 build 10586.17

Did a windows update a few hours ago and did not freeze up my start menu; so hopefully they fixed that. Not sure what it updated though;  went to shutdown and it had updates to install.