Getting a Newer Desktop PC Soon:Has Vista, Want 7 Pro

Good Morning Everyone:

I have just been offered a newer Dell Desktop PC from my cousin, which I accepted last weekend.  I will receive it sometime during the Thanksgiving Holiday.  It has 2 500 GB Hard Drives (I believe SSD's, Not sure though)  It also has original disks for Windows Vista - I want to UPGRADE that to 7 Pro when the machine lands here.

My cousin will replace the current Hard Drives with 2 BRAND NEW 500 GB Drives, and I will have all of the drivers and whatever I need, BUT:  Since I do not own multiple Win7 Product codes for more then the number of machines I own, I am wondering how I can purchase a new Product Key for   Windows 7 Pro, and if so, how much it would cost me?

Any Ideas would be helpful, as most of the limited research I have done seems to point to Windows 8, and I DO NOT want 8 on this machine - I could get specs after the machine is here if that would help.  I want ALL My Machines running Pro Versions, because I have to connect to each computer I own, and others on occasion.

It should be noted, that I DO HAVE all of the Windows Versions from work (because we made ISO's from my downloads) but I want to get the KEY I need - There is NO Intention here of being illegal - I just need a place to get legit keys ;)

Brian

Edited by baker7
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian

Just a question 

Why not just bite the bullet ! and go for win 8.1 ?

I like win 7 too, still have it on 2 laptops with it installed, brought myself a new desktop (All in one HP) came with win 8 upgraded to 8.1 still did not like the desktop found a free program to give me back the good old start Menu so its looks like win 7 on start up but gives you the choice of using "Metro" in win 8.1.

Gives you all the upgrades of win 8.1 but looks and feels like win 7.

Apon saying this I now wonder why I ever tried to test out Win 10 on my main pc when I already have the start menu back on win 8.1.

Regards

WW

Edited by WhiteWolf

I have Windows XP on 1 computer, yeah i know it's out of date & no updates ! And Windows 7 on another ! And Windows 8.1 on this one, i love everything on it ! No problems and it runs fast !! Just my opinion on systems !

Chuck

Hi Brian

Just a question 

Why not just bite the bullet ! and go for win 8.1 ?

I like win 7 too, still have it on 2 laptops with it installed, brought myself a new desktop #All in one HP# came with win 8 upgraded to 8.1 still did not like the desktop found a free program to give me back the good old start Menu so its looks like win 7 on start up but gives you the choice of using "Metro" in win 8.1.

Gives you all the upgrades of win 8.1 but looks and feels like win 7.

Apon saying this I now wonder why I ever tried to test out Win 10 on my main pc when I already have the start menu back on win 8.1.

Regards

WW

Good Morning WW:

The Problem is that the machine I will get will mostlikely NOT be able to support Windows 8.1:  I have all of the media for EVERY VERSION OF WINDOWS #except 8/8.1# and what I want to do is to take the machine that has 2 EMPTY hard drives, load it with VISTA #Because the machine will have the original media - it came with Vista Originally# and then upgrade it to 7 Pro.  My question is:

Is there a way to get a key for windows 7, or is there a way to transfer this version on my current machine over to the new one.  I think the newer machine may be slower, or a little older, but I will know when I get it.

I NEED to be able to run this new one legally.

Brian

Edited by baker7

Just remember that like with any OS change, there are likely to be additional costs involving replacing other hardware that is not compatible with the new OS.   Sometimes there are work arounds, but often the most cost effective solution will be to bite the bullet and buy new .

• 1 month later...

Good Evening Everyone!

My New PC arrived yesterday afternoon, and she is a DELL Studio XPS 435 MT - She was running Vista Ultimate, and I was LUCKY, because my cousin reloaded the whole OS, and then ran the Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit) Install for me - I was happy to find the 7 Ultimate upgrade package in my new box. so, I am fully legal on my new PC, and I also took the unprecedented step of upgrading all the way to MBAM Premium, so that I will be protected from a bunch of threats online, and also running avast as well.

The Monitor is a Dell Model 2408wfpb - so now, I am using a 24 inch monitor and this is COOL :D

Memory: 6.00 GB 

Drives: (C:) 500 GB (416 GB Free)

(D:) 500 GB (435 GB Free)

Processor: Intel i7 940 @2.93 GHTZ

Nic Cards:  1 is able to do GB internet, the other is wireless

All in all, a GREAT Machine - I may have questions about a couple things for someone like Pete :)  We shall see ;)

Brian

Brian, make sure you only run 1 Antivirus at a time. It's ok to have more than 1 installed just not running !  If i read your post right, it says you got MBAM premium which is 1 and Avast ..... that's 2  !

Chuck

Congrats on new rig !!

Chuck:

I have a couple of questions:

1.  If I have MBAM Premium, I KNOW that is an Antispyware application, and should not run along side AVAST 2015, but should I also DISABLE MS Security Essentils?  This thing had MSSE when I turned her on, and I am thinking of just running ONE or the other, but not sure if MBAM Premium can handle the AV portion, but she CAN stop you from running to harmful sites and stop malicious programs.

2.  What would you recommend I do for protection?  I will take all suggestions I can get on this one, as I want to make sure I am not having any problems.  I am leaning towards MBAM all the way.

Brian 

Chuck:

Thanks for the quick response!  Still have to load things on this one, but MAN she is sleek and FAST!!!

Brian

Brian, in my opinion you do not have to DISABLE MS Security Essentils, it seems to work well with Avast & i have had both on my W7 and W8.1 with no problems what so ever. And i have recommended both to others during my Malware fighting ! MBAM Premium is a super Antivirus, i have used Avast for years with no problems & have never been infected ! I just don't like paying for anything when i can get it free ! I recommend it to all users that i help but i also think it is up to the individual which they want for their specific needs. I would try the one you think is best for you then try the other & see which fits your needs !

If i can assist you in any ways just let me know, i check in here every day 10 or 15 times !

Chuck

Chuck:

Thank You for your advice  - will take it into serious consideration - It's been a while since I was actually doing Malware Removal Training at Geeks to Go, and I had to leave because of personal issues, but wanted to make sure that I had my facts right..........This New PC is the BEST I have owned to DATE - with 6GB and a TON of Hard Drive Space, and a LARGE Monitor, I should be all set ;D

Thank You, My friend, for all your help - also to the others who have helped me as well: Will keep you advised as I continue to work with my new PC ;D

Brian

• 2 months later...

Just remember that like with any OS change, there are likely to be additional costs involving replacing other hardware that is not compatible with the new OS.   Sometimes there are work arounds, but often the most cost effective solution will be to bite the bullet and buy new .

I used to read your answers on the G$  Forum some time ago.  Didn't understand most of them, but enjoyed reading them.  Is the G4 forum gone, I can't find it any more.

hpg3, yes the G4 Forums went by the wayside when Esquire bought them out ! I use to do a lot of HJT logs there before being asked to do them here. I will be here till the end also, mine or BT which ever comes first .... lol !!!

Chuck

I used to read your answers on the G$  Forum some time ago.  Didn't understand most of them, but enjoyed reading them.  Is the G4 forum gone, I can't find it any more.

G4 no longer exist that is originally why we all came here. funny that anyone remembers G4. Pete has always been a wealth of info. I hope to start frequenting this place again. Wow I just noticed that the question had already been aswered.

Edited by rhema7