Service Pack 2 Help Needed Badly.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with SP. 2 ? I have been at it since 8/31 to present on my Compaq Presario 5000. I went to H.P. web site updated the N-Vidia driver before SP. 2 update. I have tried Windows update and I also have the SP. 2 CD and the results are always the same. I do not get any errors or freeze ups, but what i find strange is this. After the install and I reboot the machine a few times I set the security to not monitor my AV. & firewall, I have even disabled the XP pro firewall but hear is ware it gets strange. When i open IE. 6 it acts like it has a severe cash problem meaning all the web sites I go to take about 9 to as long as 15 seconds and I have cable. With SP. 1 my web pages load super fast. But now when I use Firefox or mozilla 1.7.3 it all loads fast on both SP. 1 & SP. 2

Yes I disabled my AV. & firewall, deleted cookies, offline content, temp files, disk clean up & history. I also run CHKDSK, defraged the HD. plus I defraged my prefetch files all this before installing SP. 2.

Like I say this happens no matter weather it's Windows update or SP. 2 on the CD. I have tried safe mode, safe mode with networking.

I even went as far as to uninstall my Norton AV. all togather today then did all the above I mentioned and I still have the same problem. The last thing I did was bring it into a computer shop today and he slipstreamed it togather meaning XP pro and SP. 2 was all installed at the same time.

Guess what ? would you still believe I have the same issue with IE. 6 loading web pages like being on dial up. I even went as far as to put another AV. & firewall on after SP. 2 was put in clean. I have no spyware as I have all the tools such as Spywareblaster, AD-Aware, Spybot S&D, A Squared. All which by the way are updated and scans are run daily. I am lucky if I see a tracking cookie now & then so that should tell you something. All of my windows updates on SP. 1 were all updated. my security settings on IE. 6 were set as high as I could go short of a web site barking about my settings being to high and not letting me in.

So as I mentioned before during and after SP. 1 & SP. 2 I had no viruses, worms, trojans etc, etc, etc. and all my hard work and $$$$ SP. 2 runs like $h** when it comes to surfing the net with IE. 6

I know this is a long post, but I feel it is important to pass this information along to you. I was also wondering if(anyone ) was perhaps haveing the same issue as me ? Also if you have any and I mean any suggestions by all means let me know, as you can see I think I have tried it all. I have wondered if maybe doing a repair of IE. 6 might help. I havent tried that yet, but then again IE. 6 works like a dream as far as the speed in surfing the net ONLY with SP. 1, SP. 2 seems to have a serious cashe problem and I also cheeked to make sure IE. 6 is not dumping the files on exit either. As you can see this is a STUMPER for a big problem.

I almost forgot to mention the Compaq is or has a P. 4 1.7 Ghz. full gig of ram, 80 gig western dig HD. 7200 rpm, G-Force 3 TI. 200 128 MB. Soundblaster live 6.1 surround sound. A Motorola surfboard 4200 cable modem on a small home network with a U.S. Robotics router, KVM. switch and the computer that you see under my signature. And each comp has it's own Belkin U.P.S. backup.

One side note: The Dell has SP. 2 and absolutely no issues. Go figure ha.

Had friend who had issues with a/v and firewall after sp2. He was running AVG and Zone, xp kept telling him it's built in sotware was not working, FREEZE. Don't remember if he dumped sp2 or got it working.?.

It's no help but someone is having similar problems.

Keep your chin up, it'll get worked out.

M

Hey Shadow_Thomas

Got a question.

have you tried rolling back the driver you downloaded from HP for your video??

One thing all of us know is SP2 is having compatibility issues witth all types of software.(big time)

IMHO third party drivers are not a good idea I do not down load updates from MS for my video(nvidia) or my sound (SB) and I would not from HP.

Go to Nvidias website and see if you can find a better driver version than the one you have.

Only a suggestion,but at this point you got nothing to lose.

Shadow_Thomas; How long have you been using SP2? Mine was acting slow on a few programs and startup. But now after a few cold boot-up (Maybe a dozen) in the last couple of weeks. It runs even better then before.

And I wound try and find updated drivers as tenmm suggested.

Sp2 on XP Pro for severyal weeks now....almost a month actually, and have had no problems. Installed through the updates website with AV and firewall turned off. Before downloading SP2, I did a full cleanup of my system and defraged as well.....did one after as well.

For your problems with IE, this could be caused by some of the things added to IE's Options and security. Go into your internet options and make sure everything is set as you want it. If you still haven't already, go ahead and try the repair IE. If even after this, you still have problems, may I suggest posting a HJT log so that an expert can look through it, and we can be perfectly sure there is nothing in hiding. :)

Just for my verification, you also have cleaned out IE's temp folders and history as well, right?

Tenmm mentioned the program problems with SP2, here's a link for that: Programs Known to have problems with SP2.

Another link to information about programs and problems with SP2.

Thanks for all the replies, however nothing has worked. So tomorrow 9/23 I am going to use my restore CD's and restore my Compaq to the way it was from the factory. So I will reformat this comp for the first time in almost 3 years. I have been busy backing up all my data for the past couple of days. Anyways for the past year or so I have noticed a few strange problems and one that comes to mind is in my services, every so often I notice when i have a service set to automatic it will disable itself for reasons I don't know why. The one that comes to mind is my Norton AV. the password I always have set to manual will at times set itself to disable and auto updates I have set for automatic will change to disable. So perhaps it's time for a reformat after almost 3 years on the same install. I sure have made my fare share of mistakes with this comp as it was my firs comp. I have also done at least 6 or 7 repairs with the OS. CD. over the 3 years. So right after the reformat I am going to install SP. 2 right off the CD. and if that wont work then I would say SP. 2 just will never work on this Compaq. I will keep you posted one way or another as to how it all turns out.

OOOHHH Yeah a reformat. Love it. Like a fresh spring day inside your machine.

I suggest you load any/all software you can't live without, update all, tweak your system back to where you know it will be at it's best, then make an image for restoring later.

Make two copies. CD-RW so you could rewrite to it if you chnge the can't live withouts.

This will save you time from loading from factory restore the updating and loading software later.

M

Yeah good luck with it. My laptop d/led and installed SP2 without a problem with the firewall (sygate) and Av (avg) both turned on, while I was on vacation . Thought I had it set to d/l only but messed up the settings. It appears to be running fine for now, (crosses fingers for luck)

JD

just read an article in a compt mag.

and it said sp2 will have compatablity issues with third party applis .so obviopsly microsoft want us to use microsoft approved software .

ive done this so i havent had any problems.apart from my sound card issue.

but that is now fixed so im ahving a great run

hope i havent spoken to soon.my advice is think about that third party issue.if you want trouble free computer.ok i agree it is a microsoft monopoly

but if other software companys want a bit of the xp pie they need to make their software compatable.

marty

Thanks for all the replies, however nothing has worked. So tomorrow 9/23 I am going to use my restore CD's and restore my Compaq to the way it was from the factory. So I will reformat this comp for the first time in almost 3 years. I have been busy backing up all my data for the past couple of days. Anyways for the past year or so I have noticed a few strange problems and one that comes to mind is in my services, every so often I notice when i have a service set to automatic it will disable itself for reasons I don't know why. The one that comes to mind is my Norton AV. the password I always have set to manual will at times set itself to disable and auto updates I have set for automatic will change to disable. So perhaps it's time for a reformat after almost 3 years on the same install. I sure have made my fare share of mistakes with this comp as it was my firs comp. I have also done at least 6 or 7 repairs with the OS. CD. over the 3 years. So right after the reformat I am going to install SP. 2 right off the CD. and if that wont work then I would say SP. 2 just will never work on this Compaq. I will keep you posted one way or another as to how it all turns out.

As I said in this post I would let everyone know how things turned out. Well.... ;) One hell of a task but she runs wonderfull on SP. 2

I might add that this was my first time I have ever had to reinstall as both comps came preinstalled. My problem is... and don't tell anyone this Lol I have always been affraid to mess with a computer as I never had to do this kind of thing. I think in my mind I always feel I am going to make a mystake and ruin my comps. I am not stupid or anything like that, but when you have never done something before it spooks me. This is the story. Pull up a chair and a good cup of coffee because this gets better Lol :lol: As you could tell I was not haveing such good luck with SP. 2 but my comp run like a top with SP. 1-A now I am the type of person that never misses a trick. Kind of like when you drive your car everyday and you know how it runs and handels only to have to take it to a garage for whatever type of repair and the guy says I can't find a thing wrong with it and you know far well there is something wrong. Well thats me folks. I never and I mean never give up. I drive my poor wife nuts at times as she tells me I am too much and maybe she is right. But since August 31st I have tried and tried everything to get service pack 2 to work on this compaq. You name it...trust me I did it, short of a reformat of course <_< well I wound up takeing this comp to a computer shop, dumb I know :blink: but remember I am chicken Lol. Anyhow the tech said he never seen anything like this, meaning the extream slow browsing on cable. He tried and tried but nothing. So he took my copy of XP and burned a copy of that plus SP. 2 all on the same disk and the results were the same. So the tech says to me we have no more choice but to reinstall XP. He knows me well and he knows how nervous I can get, so he tells me to go home and start backing everything up and come back this past wednesday at 8:30 AM Ok I said. Well Tuesday late in the afternoon I decide to call him to make sure were still on for Wed. good thing I called he had a county building network job that would take him the better part of the day. But he says swing by the shop Wednesday evening around 6:30 PM when were closed and him & I could work on the Compaq, Ok I think thats cool. Well luck have it I threw my back out in the process of picking up my comp of my desk :angry: I drive to his shop and get there by 6:20 PM and waited until 7 PM. Now I am really pissed :angry: I drive home cheek my answering maching...Nothing.

So I have his cell phone number and leave him a nice message. Oh nothing bad as I wanted to say. I just told him it would of been nice if you could of called me and told me you were either late or just could not make it. Today is Saturday and he still has not returned my call. Can you imageing that ? Nice way to run a computer shop ha ?

Well I was so dam mad Friday afternoon I decide to take matters into my own hands :o I put the OS. CD in the tray and made a mess of things. Yup... a mess. Don't know how but when all was said and done I had two copies of XP at boot up. Well at that point I said why the heck not just pull out the Compaq quick restore CD's of course I never hear anything good about them restore CD's ( Freezing up etc. ) So I figure what the hell I have pretty much made a mess of things why not.

Believe it or not mine run great. It took about 2 hours but pretty much all went off without any problems, until I noticed I no longer have Microsoft word 6.0 as it was preinstalled on the comp and they never gave me any CD's for a case like this. I thought the quick restore CD's were supposed to replace MS. word and the other bloat that these store bought comps have. I don't even have my Compaq WinDVD to watch a DVD movie on my comp because of this restore. My wife is more then a little upset about MS. word, task launcher, calendar etc. I thought I did a good job considering I never done anything like this before. But the bottom line is it runs great now with SP. 2 ;) I know this is a long post and sorry about that. I just feel so much better knowing I finally learned something about a computer other then defrag, cookies,virus scans,spyware tools. You get the picture. Thanks to all that tried to help me out with this issue. Shadow :)

Hey ST... Good going. And to keep your wife happy, grab a free copy of 602 Pro.

It'll replace Word, and gives you an Excel copy-cat as well:

Free MS Compatible Word Proccessor

Thank you for the link too the free download, much appreciated ;) Another update. Just on a hunch I run the quick restore CD. and a real long story short, I have everything back. It's 2:20 AM Monday and I started Sunday afternoon about 1:30 PM I have worked non stop. I thank God I never spent much time putting in apps a couple days ago. She's up and running like a brandnew computer I tell ya ;) I just never give up. If I don't put 110% into something it's not done by me. My wife loves me again :o I thought I would never hear the end of this one :rolleyes: Now she thinks I should give up my job at the radio station and work on computers :blink: NOT !

When I saw all the junky bloat that these store bought computers have, I acted like it was X-Mas. Day when I say my desktop load up with icons etc. LMAO. I dam near fell out of my office chair. :o What a learning experience I tell ya.

First thing I did was go right into the ad/remove and removed all the junk, set up my broadband account, did all the hardware drivers etc, gave it a good tweak, went threw most settings, CHKDSK, defrag, cleared out all restore points, then installed SP.2 off the CD and man with all the problems I had before with SP. 2 I thought to myself I got lucky once with it. I was praying I would get it installed again without a hitch. It did thankfully. I did what I had to do with SP. 2 then I reinstalled my Norton AV. shut the comp down, unhooked the router & cablemodem for a few minutes, connected everything back up, waited for my connection on the modem to lite up like a X-Mas tree and fired up the Compaq. I surfed the net for a couple of minutes to make sure all was good...and it was great. I got all my Norton updates and thank God for cable :) then it was windows updates all over again Lol. Man oh man the updates seem to be endless when you fresh install :angry: Then came all the spyware tools and updates. Did I mention I am tired of updates ?????????????? :lol: But she runs like a top #10