• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, I have updated both adobe and java.  Have tried several different time and ways to update IE.  The IE link you posted doesn't work.  Now when I open IE the "Manage add-ons keeps poping up.  There are no items listed in the "Search Providors" section and I can not add any.  This is new.

Ok try this : You can temporarily disable all add-ons in Internet Explorer, which comes in handy for troubleshooting. To do so, from the Start menu choose All Programs→Accessories→System Tools→Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons).

Let me know if it helps ?

Other than that how's it running ! I think we have removed all traces of the infection but i can not guarentee it thats what all the Malware removers are saying !! I just do not see it anywhere but we  did remove all of it !! This is the 2nd most dreaded infection out there !

Good Luck & Happy Surfing

Hows it running ??

You can try : Go to...Start / Run....

In the Open field...Type or Copy / Paste the following....

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Left click OK button or Press Enter...

Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8

Then reinstall  11 IE

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
----------
===================================

I know you may have some of these installed, this is just my standard all clean speech !

Congratulation you are clean !!!

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

* From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
   * Click once on the  Security tab
   * Click once on the  Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
   * Click once on the  Custom Level button.
   * Change the  Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
   * Change the  Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
   * Change the  Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  *  Change the  Installation of desktop items to Prompt
   * Change the  Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
   * Change the  Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
   * When all these settings have been made, click on the  OK button.
   * If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the  Yes button.
  *  Next press the  Apply button and then the  OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

2. Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer . This helps Windows Vista users stay more protected from attack by running Internet Explorer with restricted privileges as well as reducing the ability to write, alter or destroy data on your system or install malicious code. To make sure this is running follow these steps:

*  Open  Internet Explorer
  *  Click on  Tools > Internet Options
  *  Press  Security tab
   * Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done
  *  Do the same for  Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and  Restricted Sites and then press  Apply
  *  Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.

NOTE: Fire Fox is a great browser also >>> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/
I use & like FireFox !!

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here. **There are firewalls listed in this tutorial that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:

Online Armor Free
Online Armor Free

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free Agnitum Outpost Firewall

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update Windows update
 regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs.  Windows Vista/7 users can open the  Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS
 This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002

Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the  DNS Client service  before installing a custom hosts file.

7. WOT (Web of Trust)
WOT As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

8.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice

A must is a great Antivirus, i recommend you using AVAST its free >>> http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

You are behind on some updates, please visit the Secunia Software Inspector >>>http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/   
Update any vulnerable software you have. Many malware now use zero day exploits in outdated versions of browsers and third party programs like Flash Player,Java Runtime , Winzip, Acrobat Reader etc to allow them to install silently without your knowledge or detection by your antivirus protection.

To insure better safety, these are a must have:
Rule #1 ........ Good Antivirus
Rule #2 ........ Good Firewall
Rule #3 ........ Good Router is Great ! (optional but best)

Happy surfing and Stay Clean
Chuck

Hello,  went ahead verified the settings in IE, but also downloaded firefox and set it up and i am using it now as my default browser.  Also installed WOT for firefox.   Both of the "Free" firewall programs are not free, needless to say they have a number of bad reviews.  If I am going to pay for a firewall program I would lke it to not slow down my computer, I know they will to some extent.  Maybe I read into them to far because you did say "using a firewall in its default configuration".