Need help with cleaning and/or infection.

Ok lets try to fix those problems !

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box >>> Click on the services tab

and find the one for the proset event log and uncheck it. Click "OK" and you're done.

See if that helps the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log Service from popping up !

Now run this to get rid of that Worm:MSIL/Necast.D >>>> http://www.microsoft.../scanner/en-gb/ <<< download & run this then let me know if you still get the 2 problems !!

Chuck

I just saw this one. Let me try it now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK !

Okay. I just finished running that Microsoft scan. It showed that it did not detect any viruses or anything on the system. I also restarted my computer and that pop up of the worm has not popped up again.

guera, Congratulation you are clean !!! It seems as the 2 problems have stopped !

I know you may have some of these installed, this is just my standard all clean speech !

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

* From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.

* Click once on the Security tab

* Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.

* Click once on the Custom Level button.

* Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt

* Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable

* Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable

* Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt

* Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt

* Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt

* When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.

* If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

* Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

2. Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer . This helps Windows Vista users stay more protected from attack by running Internet Explorer with restricted privileges as well as reducing the ability to write, alter or destroy data on your system or install malicious code. To make sure this is running follow these steps:

* Open Internet Explorer

* Click on Tools > Internet Options

* Press Security tab

* Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done

* Do the same for Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites and then press Apply

* Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.

NOTE: Fire Fox is a great browser also >>> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

I use & like FireFox !!

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here. **There are firewalls listed in this tutorial that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:

Online Armor Free Online Armor Free

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free Agnitum Outpost Firewall

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update Windows update

regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS

This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002

Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

7. WOT (Web of Trust) WOT As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

8.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice

A must is a great Antivirus, i recommend you using AVAST its free >>> http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

You are behind on some updates, please visit the Secunia Software Inspector >>>http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Update any vulnerable software you have. Many malware now use zero day exploits in outdated versions of browsers and third party programs like Flash Player,Java Runtime , Winzip, Acrobat Reader etc to allow them to install silently without your knowledge or detection by your antivirus protection.

To insure better safety, these are a must have:

Rule #1 ........ Good Antivirus

Rule #2 ........ Good Firewall

Rule #3 ........ Good Router is Great ! (optional but best)

Happy surfing and Stay Clean

Chuck

I hope i have kept my promise & your computer continues to run smooth & clean. If you have any questions or further problems please contact me here !!

Please inform your friends of our service at BT !!!!

guera, Congratulation you are clean !!! It seems as the 2 problems have stopped !

I know you may have some of these installed, this is just my standard all clean speech !

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

* From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.

* Click once on the Security tab

* Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.

* Click once on the Custom Level button.

* Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt

* Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable

* Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable

* Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt

* Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt

* Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt

* When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.

* If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

* Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

2. Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer . This helps Windows Vista users stay more protected from attack by running Internet Explorer with restricted privileges as well as reducing the ability to write, alter or destroy data on your system or install malicious code. To make sure this is running follow these steps:

* Open Internet Explorer

* Click on Tools > Internet Options

* Press Security tab

* Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done

* Do the same for Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites and then press Apply

* Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.

NOTE: Fire Fox is a great browser also >>> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

I use & like FireFox !!

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here. **There are firewalls listed in this tutorial that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:

Online Armor Free Online Armor Free

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free Agnitum Outpost Firewall

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update Windows update

regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS

This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002

Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

7. WOT (Web of Trust) WOT As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

8.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice

A must is a great Antivirus, i recommend you using AVAST its free >>> http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

You are behind on some updates, please visit the Secunia Software Inspector >>>http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Update any vulnerable software you have. Many malware now use zero day exploits in outdated versions of browsers and third party programs like Flash Player,Java Runtime , Winzip, Acrobat Reader etc to allow them to install silently without your knowledge or detection by your antivirus protection.

To insure better safety, these are a must have:

Rule #1 ........ Good Antivirus

Rule #2 ........ Good Firewall

Rule #3 ........ Good Router is Great ! (optional but best)

Happy surfing and Stay Clean

Chuck

I hope i have kept my promise & your computer continues to run smooth & clean. If you have any questions or further problems please contact me here !!

Please inform your friends of our service at BT !!!!

Thank you sooo much. My computer hasn't been running "normally" for over a year. It is now running better than normal. I have not completed all of these steps that you have recommended yet, but I will as soon as I complete this post. I will definately tell everyone about your service. I wish I would have known about you sooner. You are a "Godsend". Thank you, again. ; )

P.S. Could you please bump your post on the Lovell Classifieds? I have been unable to locate it again. ; ) Thank you again.

I bumped it up for you !!

Stay Safe & clean !!

Thank you for my charge, those kind words make what i do worth while !! ....... "thanks" is my charge/fee !!!

I will lock this post in 5 days & if you need it re-opened just PM me or any mod here !! I do this so we have no "drive by users in your thread/post"

Stay Safe & clean !!

Thank you for my charge, those kind words make what i do worth while !! ....... "thanks" is my charge/fee !!!

I will lock this post in 5 days & if you need it re-opened just PM me or any mod here !! I do this so we have no "drive by users in your thread/post"

Thank you again. And I will tell everyone I know about BestTechie and especially you. ; )

Stay Safe & clean !!

Thank you again. And I will tell everyone I know about BestTechie and especially you. ; )

Thank you very much for the kind words and the referral! We are very lucky here at BT to have Chuck. B)