hey,guys!

its been a while since i had a compt problem.

when i got one,it was quite serious!

anyway...

im on a dualboot win98-winxp.

my HD is partitioned into 4

C:win98

D:winxp

E:programs/files

F:files <backup>

i suddenly couldnt boot to either OS.

when i try to see thru DOS,i can only see drive D: which is suppose to be drive F: because i see all the contents of the drive.

i couldnt access C:.

i cant see either OS thru DOS.

i wouldnt mind reformatting and all,but i have important stuffs in the D: which is suppose to be the winxp drive.

my priority now is to retrieve all the datas but i dont why because i cant see them.

any ideas? thanks!!!!

there is no error messages except from invalid disk because it cant detect the OS.

i can get into BIOS.

i can make my CD-ROM run,

although im having a little problem with my floppy disk.im still looking for my spare.

when i get to DOS and look at the files i cant see them except for the drive F: which is lettered D: in DOS.

oh top of what's already been said....when did this start? Was it running fine before? How big is each partition, and how big is the HD as a whole?

If Crow's suggestion works, I would suggest running scandisk...your HD could have some problems areas which need to be fixed.

EDITED:

i dont think there was any serious problem before this happened or any inidcation that it was going to fail.it happened the other week.

anyway,i was able to reinstall win98.here's my plan

since winxp is on NTFS and win98 cant read it,i plan to install win2000 over win98 so i can change it to NTFS.as soon as i recover all my data, then its time to reformat everything,remove the partitions and start all over again.

what do you guys think?

thanks!

by the way, Windows 98 has to be on C:

Crow, I never knew this before. Any idea why this is?

You want the involved technical reason, or would you just like to take his word for it?

It has to do with MS-DOS, and how it has really shitty support for alternate boot devices.

Well, too bad. I forget the long involved reason.

I am not sure of the "involved technical reason", evidentally our friend here never did know. Windows 98 and ME both must be on drive C: but there is away around it I was told once. My point for posting that (even though as shown above 98 IS on drive C) was just to rememind the user in case they format and start over. It would save alot of headaches as I am sure that if its supposed to be on drive C then I would simply put it there.

Well the location actuator script in 98 is based on the alphabet. The programmer, press to meet the release deadline was forced to stop at the letter "C". Since then this programmer has since gone on to work on XP. He felt he had to fix the short commings he had built into 98.

Yeah it's B$... but hey why not.

M

thanks,guys!

well,i have reinstalled win98 and then clean installed win2000.

for some reason i cant find my winxp...

i moved my stuff and i dont remember where i put them,even my drivers for my printer and other hardwares are missing!

anyway,i was desperate because i needed to recover some data from it,so i decided to do what i said above.

now i can read all the files from the winxp drive and i recovered them all.

now im taking some time to see if i can find the cd for XP then perhaps i can repair it.

well,crow,thanks for reminding me about win98 being on drive c:,

but i think you have told me that before way back from CFH board when i was trying to do a dual boot for the first time. :D

thanks to all of you guys!