Recent Tragedy

The second amendment and the NRA will continue to guarantee that people have the right to own guns; that will unlikely change. Perhaps it may be an idea to take a different approach. That is, I think it can be reasonably argued that more resources need to be devoted to wellness and mental health. Specifically people who are mentally ill need to be treated and proper screening practices need to be put in place to support and identify people at risk. Too often mentally ill people are pushed aside by society.

I hope so. I believe misguided attempts at gun prohibition will fail to produce any results, just as misguided attempts at alcohol or drug prohibition have failed (other than wildly expanding Government authority). Murder is prohibited, how's that working? "Oh, we just need to add MORE prohibition laws and the problem will be solved." No, it won't. Prohibition as a means of attacking a problem is a complete failure. If we spent all the money we throw at drug prohibition on other programs, you have to wonder if that might not be more productive, less of a failure, and less of an infringement on our rights. Instead of reacting with more misguided attempts at gun prohibition, try something that actually has a chance of working (though, sadly, I don't know what that might be ...).