Installation Problem

Alright, so my father decided to let me install linux onto an old laptop, so i am trying to. however, i have hit 1 problem. I can't figure out how to change the boot sequence to tell the computer to boot from the CD. Its quite frustrating, because i click every F key and all i get is an error messege. Anyone have any ideas?

By the way, the computer can boot into Windows 2000 no problem; i plan to dual boot.

The computer is an IBM 770 Thinkpad. Thank you very much...

By the way, the computer can boot into Windows 2000 no problem; i plan to dual boot.

do you mean boot the windows 2000 install cd? if it boots that(windows install cd) but not your linux cd, I would guess it was burned improperly

do you mean boot the windows 2000 install cd? if it boots that(windows install cd) but not your linux cd, I would guess it was burned improperly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would go to IBM's site and find your model number and find out what key will get you into your BIOS settings.

Edited by hitest

shanenin, actually, this happened in the past as well. I meant that the OS from the HD booted properly, but the Ubuntu install CD doesn't start before Windows 2000, and there is no visible sign on the screen to show how to change the boot sequence. But hitest, i'll go to the IBM website and see what i can find. I really do hate their website, so difficult to navigate....:D :D :D

I think it may be the F8 key on an IBM to get into bios

Think that's whatit was on mine before it died

The boot screen flashed it up early in the boot process

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also try using Google to find the correct key stroke to get into bios settings. Did you try F1?

Edited by hitest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also try using Google to find the correct key stroke to get into bios settings. Did you try F1?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've tried many of the F keys, so probably i have tried F1--But, I have just looked at the IBM site and it says that it F12 lets you choose a temporary boot sequence, so i guess i'll try that out now....Be back in a few minutes to tell you how it went... :D:D:D

i got this off of ibms sight

# Press and hold the F1 key, then turn on the computer. Hold the F1 key until the Easy-Setup menu appears.

# If a password prompt appears, type the correct password.

# Select Config, then select Initialize.

# Select OK to initialize the system.

Well it turns out that when i pressed F10/F12 a few times, and error came up. This error took me to a utility that checks the systems hardware, etc. Finally, i check the motherboard a few times and it came up as OK. So i pressed Finished. Then, it took me to the bios screen! i changed the boot sequence to CD, right now i'm in the installation process....Formatting is giving me some trouble, but i'll figure it out....:D. Thanks everyone, hopefully my next post will be from my laptop!

alright, Ubuntu is up and running. I need to figure out a few things, though (it seems GRUB doesn't recognize my windows partition, and I thought about it and decided to just delete that partition and extend the current one/make a swap partition. However, I need a partition manager to do that, so I'm looking for one on the internet, which i don't have yet on my Ubuntu system. So i'm looking for tutorials on how to set up wireless cards :)).

Thanks everyone for your help, hopefully i'll be having internet, bigger partitions AND syncing capabilities for my old Palm 515 soon :).

However, I need a partition manager to do that

fdisk.

You can extend an ext2 (and I assume 3) partition using resize2fs and some other utilities. Other filesystems, I don't know.

when I was installing ubuntu there was a psrtition manager in the install. Is this not available from the installed version. I never got the grub loader to work and never got to play around with it. I ended up with slackware instead

well, thanks jcl, i'll try that out. But right now, I have different problem.

I don't know how to set up my wireles card...:(. I have many things, used the resources from the other threads, checked debian.org and ubuntu's websites, still cannot do it. Does anyone know a good tutorial to set up wireless cards IN LAYMAN'S terms? Or, if anyone who knows how to do it can help me out personally? I read that my card's driver is found on Ubuntu's install, but whenver i try to follow the steps they give me it never works. Anyone have any ideas?

which card adn hwo are you connecting (wep , no wep) access point or what?

also do a lspci and see if you can post it..

a partition tool that is free is qtparted adn is on every knoppix cd.. so if you have a version of knoppix type

sudo su

qtparted

its like partition magic