Hey all. I got a few questions regarding buying a new harddrive. I want to buy a secondary harddrive, and this is the one I was looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822135106

I know very little in the aspect of hardware, so I don't know if it matters much for HDDs, but I want to make sure it will be compatible with the rest of my system. Here's my specs:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board: Dell Computer Corp.

Bus Clock: 400 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A03 11/12/2002

WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0 [Hard drive] (120.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA8C3561095, rev 16.06V16,

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B [CD-ROM drive]

Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max [CD-ROM drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Bus Adapters

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

Sorry, I didn't know how much of that is needed... So, can you tell from this if I have (i dont know what its called) an open "space" for another HDD? Also, would the one listed above work with what I have (do you need more info)?

Now, I plan to install linux on this HDD. Will I make this drive a slave drive? Will i beable to boot linux from this slave dirve?

Thanks for the help.. I know im (very) noobish in this area

Matt

Hey toc! Is there anyway I can check that without opening my case? SATA are the ones that look smaller--compared to the ribbon connectors right? Would belarc or everest tell me this.. or am I just gunna need to open up the case?

Also, While looking at this I came accross the term "RAID" and "RAID 0" do I need to worry about doing those, and if so, what are they?

Matt

Hey toc!  Is there anyway I can check that without opening my case?  SATA are the ones that look smaller--compared to the ribbon connectors right?  Would belarc or everest tell me this.. or am I just gunna need to open up the case?

Also, While looking at this I came accross the term "RAID" and "RAID 0" do I need to worry about doing those, and if so, what are they? 

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read you got your answer in the chat room, but let the rest of us know how to do it.

Hey handplane

T0c instructed me that by using belarc advisor, (a program that generates a list of your system specs) I could look under the "controllers" section and find whether or not SATA was compatible with my mobo. It was not, as my mobo can use any form of ATA, specifically, my current HDD is ultra ATA. So, I am now going to buy this harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144122

About RAID, I don't think I have to worry about that.. so I won't mess with it or anything.

Matt

Hey handplane

T0c instructed me that by using belarc advisor, (a program that generates a list of your system specs) I could look under the "controllers" section and find whether or not SATA was compatible with my mobo.  It was not, as my mobo can use any form of ATA, specifically, my current HDD is ultra ATA.  So, I am now going to buy this harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144122

About RAID, I don't think I have to worry about that.. so I won't mess with it or anything.

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Matt

but, first please check if you have an available IDE port, because i think the limit on most mobo's are 4....you don't want to buy the HD and find out you can't connect it...:D :D :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, good call. How do I check for an open IDE port? Would that show up on belarc or everest? Or will I have to open the case?

I found this in belarc:

Controllers

Standard floppy disk controller

Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

do I have an available ide port?

Matt

I currently have 1 hdd

1 cd drive

1 cd burner drive

and a floppy drive (does that count) t0c told me that as long as i didn't have 4 things (not couting the floppy) id have space.

do i really need to open my case? (lol i know that sounds sad...)

I currently have 1 hdd

1 cd drive

1 cd burner drive

and a floppy drive (does that count) t0c told me that as long as i didn't have 4 things (not couting the floppy) id have space.

do i really need to open my case? (lol i know that sounds sad...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure that floppy uses IDE>....hmm, Matt, sorry, just open ur computer and put my fears to rest....:D

You can have 2 floppy drives and up to 4 hard drives, cd or dvd drives in a standard computerthere is a cable for the 2 floppies and 2 ide cables with 2 connections on each

OK, I'm not sure If I have a problem or not. I opened up my case, and yes, the floppy drive uses a different kind of connector. BUT I seem to have only TWO IDE ports. It looks like my 2 cd drives are sharing one, and my current harddrive has the other. Is it possible to only have 2? If this is the case, can I make my two harddrives share the other one I have? neutral.gif This really sucks if not, the harddrive is alreay on its way. Any suggestions would help. (I'm not sure if you addressed this in your last post or not robroy...)

Matt