What are you snacking on?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The oriental market had leeks for 99cents a pound, Kale for 39cents a bunch, red bell peppers for 59cents a pound, filet mignon for $4.99 a pound.

I made a batch of potato leek soup. Great hot and better cold , and a pot full of greens (kale) with the green part of the leeks and some ham stock I had in the freezer for just such an occaision.

Then we made BLTs

Gotta get more tomatoes.

• 1 month later...

Had some salmon salad for lunch today, it was decent.

Grilled Italian Red Roasters for TheBrit last night, stuffed with cream cheese and garlic. The night before, we had pan fried bluegill filets, with a big green salad.

Discovered a great way to freeze our catch. We vacuum pack, so I tried adding spices to the fish before freezing. WOW! Made a perfect infusion of flavor! Added Mrs, Dash's garlic and herb to this one.

Too bad it was a late discovery, we have about 40 pounds put up from the summer...

New favorite way to make steaks.

The market has boneless NY Strip steaks for $3.49 a pound this week , but I have also done this with tenderloin (filet mignon) and ribeye.

Get a thick cut (1.5 inch is good) and trim off any outer fat.

Then place it between two sheets of saran wrap and pound it with a rubber mallet until it is under a half inch thick.

Season with salt and lots of fresh ground (coarse grind) black pepper.

Cook it like a minute steak, on a really hot grill or cast iron pan for about a minute each side.

Let rest before eating.

• 1 month later...

Odd as a long time bachelor decided it's time to upgrade from the turkey Swanson TV dinner.

From Hungary Man version to ->

Bought a 3# turkey breast, fresh yams, stove top dressing, cranberries etc including a pumpkin pie that will last for days.

Coming out of character haha

Walking on the fresh snowfall barefooted is more like me.

Happy turkey day and with my Packers playing the Lions makes for a great day.

Does life get any better haha ?

Too be continued...

Marsh

Dang! Won't see that game. We're spending the long weekend on Lake Michigan, in a beautiful house on the dunes. No TV, no phone, no internet. Traditional turkey dinner, with all the fixins.

Pee Ess.... Tony Stewart won the NASCAR 2011 championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across a holiday special; boneless whole ribeye for $2.99 a pound. Got about twenty pounds. Sliced into steaks and roast.

I cut my steaks thick ( about 1.5 inches) and then pound them with a rubber mallet (they are sandwiched between saran wrap. ) until they are about a third of that.

Then on a screaming hot grill for a bout three minutes per side and a five minute rest . Seasoning; all they need is salt and pepper. Soft and tender and moist and buttery mouthwatering goodness. Most is in the freezer , it will last quite a while.

Made a batch of "Healthy" chili yesterday. One pound ground turkey breast, one pound low fat "SoyRizo" ( Soy Textured vegetable protein flavored to taste like chorizo) one onion, one head garlic, one poblano pepper, two jalapenos , two cans kidney beans, two cans pintos cooked in chili sauce.

Tasty and healthy. Not sure what we will make today.

• 2 months later...

Whoot! We just bought a new Weber Q300 gas grill, and it's a beauty! It arrived Wed, so we assembled it and gave it the recommended 1 hour burn.

Thursday we grilled a 28 day aged, prime porterhouse, seasoned zucchini, and asparagus. Deeeee-lish!

Sadly, since then we got 8" of snow.... :(

Hi bozodog

I'm very curious of this 28 day aged, prime porterhouse.

21 years discovered the Food Saver vacuum pack machine at a trade show, only have aged a steak maybe a week in the refrigerator.

So tender I'll have to try again, thanks for the memories.

Ouch we had 18" snow here for leap year 29 Feb so here's what I saw, thankfully I had the truck ready to go, car safe in the garage.

Porch charcoaler had to wait its turn.

Take care and please let me know.

Marsh

post-25-0-00194600-1330677494_thumb.jpg

Hi bozodog

I'm very curious of this 28 day aged, prime porterhouse.

21 years discovered the Food Saver vacuum pack machine at a trade show, only have aged a steak maybe a week in the refrigerator.

So tender I'll have to try again, thanks for the memories.

Ouch we had 18" snow here for leap year 29 Feb so here's what I saw, thankfully I had the truck ready to go, car safe in the garage.

Porch charcoaler had to wait its turn.

Take care and please let me know.

Marsh

Marsh, we buy our beef from a local butcher, that buys all his meat from the Amish. Been doing business with him for many years. When we are ready to order a quarter, we ask him to pick us a nice USDA Prime, and hang it, this is called Dry Aged. This last hind cost us under $3.00 a hanging pound, we only lost about 20 pounds to the aging and processing. You can't beat the tenderness and flavor. Even the hamburger tastes aged.

From what I understand, wet aging can go longer than a week. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging

• 2 weeks later...

Albertsons market has bone in pork sirloin roasts for 99 cents a pound.

I bought a five pounder, injected it with Mojo Crillollo and Adobe seasoning and made pot roast with potatoes and carrots yesterday.

Made extra carrots for the dogs.

Today I took some leftover pork and made Pork Carnitas. Cut it thin, added a touch of water and liquid smoke and reheated it, then sauteed some bell pepper, onion, jalapeno , and garlic. Put in flour tortillas, with grated white cheddar cheese, cilantro, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and some hot sauce.

Very tasty.

Joined a new "dog behavior and training discussion" forum

http://www.dogsnharmony.com/community/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A very Happy Easter to everyone! My daughter finished her egg hunt this am and enjoyed it immensely. Sipping black coffee at the moment. Breakfast to ensue shortly. :)

Easter was not happy. I slipped and sprained my ankle. My ankle is mostly healed, but I have mild tendonitis in the Achilles now; a constant ache, especially if I bend my foot so that it stretches or compresses the achilles tendon.

Today we went to a neighborhood art fest / artist sale in the park. I bought my wife a silver and turquoise bracelet and a matching one for her mother (mother in laws day coming up).

Then we made a batch of home made chili verde (roasted tomatillos and jalapenos, cilantro stems and all, and garlic and cumin blended to a smooth sauce)

and a batch of red salsa (tomatoes, jalapenos, habaneros, cilantro, garlic , onion) .

Used a little of the red salsa to flavor a batch of rice and then used the chili verde to make chicken chili verde (boneless chicken breast, sliced thin. Heat the salsa to a boil, toss in the chicken and drop the flame down as low as it goes, let it poach until the rice is done and ready to eat). Teasty and tender. (In case you don't know Tomatillos are a member fo the gooseberry family, not related to tomatoes. They have a very mild non sour lime citrus flavor, kind of like a non sweet kiwi too). Serve the chicken over the rice.

Later will make chicken enchiladas, chop up some of the chicken. Take a corn tortilla, run it under hot water and heat in a non stick skillet for about fifteen seconds per side. Put in the chicken, some shreeded cheese , and roll it up . Put two or three per plate with rice on the side, top with some of the salsa verde and a little more cheese and nuke in the microwave for a minute (just enough to melt the cheese).

I baked a batch of dark chocolate brownies that I added Reeses peanut butter chips to and slathered a cream cheese/chocolate frosting on. It tastes absolutely scrumptious.

Pete, you need to work the Achilles slowly to bring it back. I am on my third week of physical therapy after breaking both my fibula and tibia February 2nd. I do stretching exercises for my Achilles three times a week using a rubber exercise band. The most I do is thirty reps. After being in a cast for eight weeks then an Aircast walking boot for these last weeks everything needed to be retrained in both legs.

Yeah, I am trying hard not to over do it. I try to do minor stretching before getting out of bed and the throughout the day gentle stretches until it just barely hurts. Still feels stiff and aches a lot. But hey it sure is a lot better than breaking it.

I use a little muscle rub with menthol and methyl salicylate when it needs "limbering" and when it really hurts three advil and two extra strenght tylenol square it away.

Still regret not being able to run in the morning.

Thinking of making some Gazpacho, it is a tad warm today. Grilling weather too, Did a propane exchange ($14.99) since they said my taink was too old to refill ($11.99) . The Amerigas exchange had no issue with the tank (It was one of theirs ) and the replacement is new enough to get refilled if I run low.

Leftover Easter hams are marked down to half price; so maybe I will get a ham, but it may be hard to figure out how to grill it. Maybe a couple small ones

We bought a new Weber "Q"300 gas grill this year. So far it's been the best grill I've used. We only have done several meals, because our weather hasn't quite changed over to "decking" yet.

When we had a hot spell in March, TheBrit tried his famous beer-can chicken. Mmmmm, it was the best ever, and took half the time!

DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1340.jpg

• 9 years later...