Dell wont boot

Hi new here and thanks in advance, ok i think i picked up a virus and did an abrupt shut down last time on, a virus checking thing came on the screen I never seen before and I just shut it down......now it wont re-boot. just a dark blank screen after a 2 sec. dell screen appears. I have tried to recover using the system recover disk and booting it straight from the recover disk under recover option but it asks me for a administration code or password. I have no idea the code . I went in security and entered a new code and have tried that new code and it says not the right code. So I cannot boot off the restore disk and I do not want to lose my file if I do a complete reinstall ( if that wouyld even work ). it wants to run the recovery disk but I don't know the code and have reset the security code to 1234 but it doesn't recognize it or that security code that I changed has nothing to do with it. HELP! thanks, Bob.

Dell wont boot

Hi new here and thanks in advance, ok i think i picked up a virus and did an abrupt shut down last time on, a virus checking thing came on the screen I never seen before and I just shut it down......now it wont re-boot. just a dark blank screen after a 2 sec. dell screen appears. I have tried to recover using the system recover disk and booting it straight from the recover disk under recover option but it asks me for a administration code or password. I have no idea the code . I went in security and entered a new code and have tried that new code and it says not the right code. So I cannot boot off the restore disk and I do not want to lose my file if I do a complete reinstall ( if that wouyld even work ). it wants to run the recovery disk but I don't know the code and have reset the security code to 1234 but it doesn't recognize it or that security code that I changed has nothing to do with it. HELP! thanks, Bob.

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode? Tapping the F8 key while it is booting. Once you get there choose Safe Mode and once booted try to do a System restore back to a date prier to the infection. Say a week of so. If you never had a security code then hitting enter when asked for one should get you past that part. If none of this helps come back and ask for more help.

Yes, I tried in safe and other modes. I did a diagnostic test and it passed. I have a freind that is going to extract the files off the hard drive and reload windows xp ( 2006 pc ) . I wish there was a better way because I have quickens files for my business on there and quickens is hard to recapture back into the program that I will have to re-install.

On the password or administration code on the restore and repair disk , I think dell put that code on it but they say they didn't. There is an option on that disk to repair the operating system that I wanted to try but I cant get passed the administration code it asks for. Dells can only offer me to reinstall. I hope my info is still there and I can open it back up once fixed. Very frustrating. I think I'll go back to pencil and paper for my book keeping!