Gas Price Talk Radio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wnet an got a few groceries this morning at my favorite store. Luckily it is one having the promotion for .10/gallon off at the local Sunoco station ($2.99/87 octane) for every $50 spent at the store. I can bank the savings for 2 months. It is only good for one fillup not to exceed 20 gallons. Right now I am good for .30/gallon off. I'll wait until i can get upto .70/gallon and get down to a 1/3 tank. I need to burn off this winter gas anyhow. I haven't allowed the GMC to get under 3/4 tank all winter.

My mom gets like $0.10 off for every $100 she spends at Kroger. Too bad her PT Cruiser has the worst gas fuel mileage out of the 3 vehicles at my house.

My 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback with 1999 B16A2 engine swap (1.6L DOHC VTEC high compression Honda sport motor approx 170HP 120 Tq). - Average 28-30 on 93 (close ratio 5-Spd tranny, Check Engine Light, 2200lb car)

My Dad's 1998 Toyota Tacoma 2WD 4-Cyl 5-Spd Shortbed Pick-Up (2.4L DOHC low compression bullet proof Toyota truck motor 142HP 160Tq) - Average 26-28 on 87 (4200lb)

My Mom's 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Spd Auto (2.4L DOHC low compression garbage Chrysler motor 150HP 162Tq) - Average 20-22 (many times worse) on 87 (3200lb car though)

Wow, I have no torque and a check engine light and I still beat the other 2 in gas mileage. :thumbsup: Prolly cause the fact my car is a tin can and doesn't weigh anything.

170HP 120 Tq

Wow, I have no torque and a check engine light

Wow :D

Last time I used something with a 2:3 tq to horsepower ratio.... I was holding a weedeater. :thumbsup:

Kidding...

It was a gas blower.

No really, Im sorry. Thats not nice.

Im lookin at 12mpg in my truck. It gets the catalytic converters cut off tuesday and a new pipe and muffler. Im hoping the MPG goes up a bit.

Edited by Bubba Bob

hey the B16 ain't called the torqueless wonder for nothing. Transmission buddy. That is the B16's secret. Oh well, that torque sure don't help the PT Cruiser. It still gets crappy gas mileage and it's slow. Man when that VTEC hits though it's all over. ( in my car that is) :rolleyes: Naw, but it did surprise my friend that i let drive my car one time. He was like, "VTEC is all hype". He drove the car and he said, "HOLY CRAP, the steering wheel jerked". The horse power makes it a great road course and Auto-X contender since you keep it in lower gears for that stuff. It's alright for drag to cause of the close ratio tranny but it's still woefully short on torque. If I want torque, I'll ge tme an H22A4 from a prelude but even then it still 200HP to 160TQ. or something like that. Honda VTEC motors are rev hungry high end power motors. You got keep the revs up there for power.

Anywho, it's $2.84 for the water and $3.04 for real gas :P 35 minutes from here in the town mine and my brother's shop is in.

Edited by Honda_Boy
Im lookin at 12mpg in my truck. It gets the catalytic converters cut off tuesday and a new pipe and muffler. Im hoping the MPG goes up a bit.

Umm ... :unsure:

Unless they're clogged (unlikely) it won't have a noticeable effect (the size of the pipe is more important ... isn't that always the case? :blush: ).

Unless they're clogged (unlikely) it won't have a noticeable effect (the size of the pipe is more important ... isn't that always the case? :blush: ).

The cats are 23 years old now. I drilled a hole in my muffler and its filled with pieces of the honey comb. Besides, in anotehr month Ill be in Alabama. Can you say no emissions testing? :thumbsup:

Another thing, my mechanic is doing it for $60 :)

Edited by Bubba Bob

Ha, I'm glad the county I live doesn't do emissions tests. Others in the state do but not mine. There is absolutely no way my car could pass as it is.

Got the truck back. The difference in power is noticable. I took it on a couple hills that it used to couldnt do in overdrive. It plowed right up them. Sounds great to. Nice and throaty. Good ol' American V8 sound.

I hope the gas milage shows the same results.

Edited by Bubba Bob

I have never owned a Ford truck that got good gas mileage. Even my 2006 F-150 with the 4.6 Triton only gets 17 mpg on the highway. My old GMC with the 4.3 gets 22 mpg highway and 17 around town.

The boaters are crying now. Their gas is $3.50/gal and up around here.

I was thinking of riding my bike more often but it reached 100 degrees today.

Traffic here is horrible. They're putting in a light rail system that has had the main streets dug up for over a year now. Still no end in sight.

It'll be nice when it's finally completed, although it should have been done 30 years ago, but that's another story.

Meanwhile I sit in traffic and burn up gas at $3.10 a gallon and watch the pollution cloud get darker every day. :angry:

One of the reasons I don't panic when gas prices spike is I can see it in perspective. A column I read had a guy figuring out his perspective on the subject:

... Now that gasoline has hit a gazillion dollars per gallon, I have been riding the Skippy Scooter into town to save money.

As I was weaving in and out of traffic and irritating drivers of vehicles weighing 20 times more than the SS, I wondered just how much am I saving?

Ok. Again, with the usual warning that my arithmetic skills are somewhat lacking here are the calculations:

Nationally, the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline is $3.07. Using the rule of thumb that the grades go up by ten-cents-per-gallon, let's say the price of a gallon of mid-grade is $3.17 - which is what I put in the Mullmobile.

The Mullmobile is a 1999 Land Rover Discovery with about 113,000 miles. It gets about 15 miles per gallon, which means, since I've owned it I have purchased some 7,333 gallons of fuel but that's not the point of this exercise.

From my house to my office is about nine miles. As luck would have it that means I use exactly six-tenths of a mile of gasoline to get to work. $3.17 times .6 equals about $1.90 in fuel costs. As I generally drive to work and then home again, that equals $3.80 for the round trip.

Now, the Skippy Scooter. It gets about 70 miles per gallon. That means the 18-mile round trip to and from work uses a little over a quarter of a gallon or about 80 cents worth of fuel.

That is a savings of $3.00 per day by driving my scooter.

My scooter cost about $2,300. If I drive it to work every day - rain or shine, summer or winter - it will take about three years to break even - sometime in May or June of 2010. ...

I see no reason to panic over the price of gas. <_<

The cats are 23 years old now. I drilled a hole in my muffler and its filled with pieces of the honey comb. Besides, in anotehr month Ill be in Alabama. Can you say no emissions testing? :thumbsup:

This is Random but a friend has a cat (the animal) that is 23 years old. Still just as playful as my 6 year old cat.

Anywho. Since I don't have a job right now and class is over until the summer sessions start on the 29th, my car hasn't been movin much. My bank acocunt is almost empty cause of insurance. I need to hurry up and get that gauge cluster sold.

Today's price is $2.85 down here.

Looks like the price to beat around Dallas is $2.89.

When will the government wise up and fast track the approval of some new refineries?

Oh yes, thats right that would decrease the profit margin all their buddies are making.

... When will the government wise up and fast track the approval of some new refineries?

Oh yes, thats right that would decrease the profit margin all their buddies are making.

Or they could reduce the tax load since they make more than the oil companies do out of each gallon sold. Which is the more likely scenario? :D

However, often ignored in this debate is the fact that oil industry profits are highly cyclical, making them just as prone to “busts” as to “booms.” Additionally, tax collections on the production and import of gasoline by state and federal governments are already near historic highs. In fact, in recent decades governments have collected far more revenue from gasoline taxes than the largest U.S. oil companies have collectively earned in domestic profits. (Click here for previous analysis of state, local and federal gas taxes.)

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/1139.html

Alternate fuels coming any time soon is hopeless. The best thing now is Diesel. Ford is supposedly coming out with a small Diesel for the 09 F150. Right now desiel is what, $0.60 cheaper than gas? Plus a small deisel in a truck could produce car like MPG results. I sure hope Ford doesnt screw this up.