Gas Price Talk Radio

Wow, I don't think Ive ever paid $3 or more for gas. Not once. :P

It just cracked that price-point for a couple of weeks.

Not sure if this was national news or not but it's been reported that Illinois has the highest gasoline taxes (and that's without counting local gasoline taxes, which Illinois is one of only a few, or the only, state to allow local taxes). At current prices just the tax on a gallon is 80 cents.

But that's OK because we have the best road system in the ... HEY! We're getting screwed! :lol:

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheapest I saw yesterday while doing errands around town was $2.82. The highest was $2.96. Lowest was down about a nickle or more from week before.

I guess the Alaska gas pipeline shutdown wont be affecting our NW prices as badly as was originally thought maybe??? Didn't hear final decision if they decided to close the pipelines down totally or not?! ?

I think most states have local taxes, not just Federal tax, on gas don't they? I know both Washington and Oregon do. And most of our roads and bridges are in terrible shape!!!

We (Oregon) are one of only two states (New Jersey may be other one?) with no self serve gas, yet we are always cheaper than Washington where you pump your own gas.

Pat

God bless everyone

... I think most states have local taxes, not just Federal tax, on gas don't they? ...

I wasn't paying TOO much attention to the report, just another "your local government is screwing you" story, but I thought they said Illinois was either one of few or the only state that allows local (that would be county or municipal) gasoline taxes.

Those high gasoline taxes, combined with the tripling of the cost of automobile registrations not so long ago, should result in the best roads in the nation, but somewhere the money just seems to disappear. :angry2:

I hear the cost of a barrel of oil is dropping again ... Let's hope it trickles down to the local gas stations.

Edited by JDoors

Leaving work today I noticed the gas gauge was a bit low. I decided to stop at the Citgo out in the country near the job. Their price was $3.12 for unleaded regular. I said the heck with it and took a chance driving into the city where unleaded regular is $2.97.

I filled up in Centerville texas tonight @ $2.46 :blink:

And I bet you get that special gas which they sell near the Presidents ranch and not the crap they saddle us with in Dallas.

When I filled up down there not only did I notice the cost was 10% lower but I found my milage was about 25-30% better than normal.

I just paid $2.53.

Maybe we will be lucky and the price will hit $2.00 by election day . I wonder why that would be?

Ooohh , sorry we predicted too many hurricanes caused by global warming, they didn't form and it is getting late so probably they will not destroy the gulf coast after all.

Ooohh, sorry, BP forgot to say they actually had two pipelines and could keep one open when working on the other and would be finished with repairs in a couple weeks (already finished by the way). So all those speculators who bought oil futures on margin lost their shirts (so sorry) and made the oil magnates richer.

Gas prices always go lower this time of year due to far less demand, and many damaged refineries and rigs on the Southern coast are coming back online (plus they're being upgraded since they're being worked on anyway). So, yeah, prices should continue to drop. But if you wanna imagine some conspiracy ... :rolleyes:

My milage from that tank was about average (less actually, but I did a lot of idling and WOT's on that tank) Heavy competition right off I-45 probably keeps the prices low. Maybe it's just time to move out of the big city, Pete :D

Maybe oil will stay under $70/bbl for a while. Probably a good time to dump my Valero stock.

... I think most states have local taxes, not just Federal tax, on gas don't they? ...

I wasn't paying TOO much attention to the report, just another "your local government is screwing you" story, but I thought they said Illinois was either one of few or the only state that allows local (that would be county or municipal) gasoline taxes.

Those high gasoline taxes, combined with the tripling of the cost of automobile registrations not so long ago, should result in the best roads in the nation, but somewhere the money just seems to disappear. :angry2:

I hear the cost of a barrel of oil is dropping again ... Let's hope it trickles down to the local gas stations.

you hit the nail right on the head, that's exactly the real problem. in colorado we have some of the worst roads in the united states and most everybody knows that money keeps missing but no one does anything about it. so instead of just fixing the roads the right way they just keep patching them with cheap meterials which fall apart sometimes within a few weeks. only in the last 2 years they've finally started to do whole street sections. and yet in 1 of my friends neihborhoods where a bunch of upper class snobby people live, the neihborhood group some how got the bity to pay for new street lights that look like old english lights to replace the only 3 year old lights that were already there. and that money came out of the road maintinece budget. they were jealous that the broadmoore had better lights than them or at least that's what i think. 1 of the council people said that "the upper class of colorado springs needs to keep up with the broadmoor for the city to look good".

Our roads are SO bad ...

"HOW BAD ARE THEY??"

Our roads are so bad they trigger the cruise control's cutoff switch. I'll be bouncing and jouncing along a crappy country road, cruise control set (two reasons; I'm lazy, and I am more apt to obey the speed limit if I can just set it and forget it), when suddenly the cruise control will disengage.

It was driving me nuts until I figured out WHY it was disengaging: A sensor detects that the vehicle may have left the road and for safety's sake disengages the cruise control. Nice safety feature, if only it wasn't triggered by the crappy roads around here! :angry2:

$2.29 for 10% ethenol mixture here. and dropping steadily at about 2 cents a day. hopefully at this rate we might be at or below $2/gallon in the next week or so.

Here they say that this is the EPA mandated pollution solution (10- 15% ethanol) and that it is why gas prices rose in the spring and summer as they converted to this "summer blend" . I also noticed that it give significantly poorer mileage than the unadulterated gas they sell in Central Texas near The Presidents ranch.

I get easily 30% better mileage when I fill up down there.

I just saw it for $2.39 at a Valero this morning, since Quick Trip is generally cheaper I am wondering what their price is now. Sure will be nice to have the price go down , just wish the mileage would go back up.

• 2 weeks later...

We filled up a week ago at $2.75, today the station sign said $2.65.

Lots of bad roads here too, and winter will only make them worse!!!

Roads are not a high priority around here for either state or local.

Most of our gas tax transportation money goes to light rail projects that the metro area 'visionaries' as they like to be called now, seem to think is the only answer for everything (except condemming land and building more 'affordable' condos that only the rich can afford)! Local taxshare is used as seed money to get plenty of federal dollars for useless pork barrel ever expanding light rail projects incuding tearing up a perfectly good transit mall downtown for some unknown reason known only to the big spenders of our tax dollars in this town which means moving everything over to other streets for several years of construction. I'm sure all the downtown high falluting merchants will be howling for more tax relief because of the ensuing road mess keeping shoppers away.

Pat

God bless everyone