Gas Price Talk Radio

What we need is to get the oil companies to build more refineries and tell the evironmentalist to chill out so it can be accomplished. For a temporary fix the federal and state governments should reduce the tax on fuels. The Alaskan drilling needs to happen for we can now see the problem with depending on oil from the gulf. I also believe that there is price gouging going on and the government should start telling those responsible to stop or face consequences.

People are at fault also due to unnecessary travel. It really irks me when I see someone jump into their huge SUV to go to the corner store for a pack of weeds or six pack of soda. Get off your fat butt and walk. I take care of my shopping for the month on one day. I don't travel to several different stores to save a couple cents on certain products. There are also too many people that never have their vehicles maintained thereby reducing it's efficiency. Tune it up and change the oil regularly. Check the air pressure in the tires. Drive sanely. It all makes a difference.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What we need is to get the oil companies to build more refineries and tell the evironmentalist to chill out so it can be accomplished....  <etc>.... It all makes a difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMEN! All the solutions are out there. Closing military bases become refinery sites. Use of new, safer cleaner nuclear technology for electricity, and create hydrogen for the new Hydrogen economy. Yucca, finish it. ANWAR, open it. The people who don't want it opened can't even describe the area. Undercut the Arabs on oil prices, break up the cartel. For our part, we should conserve all we can. Shut off your lights, buy efficent appliances, insulate your homes. Start concentrating our research dollar on more efficent engines whether it be fuel cells, LPG, Natural Gas, Gas, Hydrogen, Diesel. Know the amount of carbon you produce, and reduce it.

Someone or something is in the way for each of the solutions. With Nuclear and ANWAR it is the environmentalists. With the refineries it is regulation. With taxes it is the politicians. We as a society need to make the hard decisions and piss some people off, or nothing will get done. America, take back you government.

<Stepping down off my soap box>

Everyone shouldn't have to give up their SUVs, because some people actually NEED them. I drive a truck because I am a big guy, 6'2 with all my height in my upper body. I need the headroom. High fuel prices just shift my disposible income from Wal-Mart and Tiger Direct to the Arabs. But if someone would make a high mileage commuter car with serious heardroom that I could pull a trailer behind when I went to Lowes, I would buy it in a minute. Hell, It wouldn't even have to have 2 seats, I commute alone as most Americans do. One other thing that is never going to happen: Getting my wife to only shop once a week (it drives me crazy).

What we have to do is to get ideas out there, and that is exactly what high fuel prices spawn....discussion.

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday
Hitest, I can't afford the SUV... let alone the fuel prices. I'm putting my ole '87 van back on the road with 21mph on the highway because the Jimmy only gets 18. Too dang bad I need a "DANE" hauler...

OlivianGypsy60.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it's getting bad. I certainly hope gas prices stabalize in the near future and then drop down to some sense of normalcy. :ph34r:

I heard a report today from Atlanta, that gas went from $2.59 this morning to $3.59 in a few hours....that is gouging!!!

Unfortunately I think there will be alot more of it before the gulf coast oil rigs, pipelines, and refineries get back in business. That could be a long time coming back to full operation. Just tracking down and towing back into place, then repairing oil platforms will take weeks.

One thing that might shave a few pennies off a gallon IF they pass it on to consumer, is the Feds (EPA) relaxed the air pollution standards on gas quality nationwide from today on, so the refineries can devote full time to a single type of gas to one standard. But what do you bet that savings never gets to us???

This country is facing some serious times folks energywise due to Katrina. Will there be enough heating oil for instance, with refineries all across the south having so many problems this summer??? They are all aging plants anyhow, and fires, and now Katrina, many are in trouble.

We need to do some serious readjustment to our national thinking as stated earlier.

We should add upgrading the energy efficiency part of national building codes to the list of posters had before me. this should have been done to a much greater scale 25 to 30 years ago.

Beef up energy efficiency codes for all buildings, with a huge mandate for new building efficiency for businesses. It is totally insane not to take advantage of solar power which is a viable source of energy and so little used, in many many areas of this country. Codes should make it mandatory that all new business buildings use solar panels on their humongeous roofs, with interties back into grid for solar power that is beyond their needs. Also residential solar should be made mandatory where feasible, and that would be up to permit offices to see to it that each site utilitizes best solar position for each home. All that would take some pressure off the electrical needs of this country which uses a lot of natural resources from coal, to natural gas, to oil, and in our area hydropower.

Another thing, get rid of the disposable instant onetime use of anything plastic or foam and a whole lot of other plastic materials from packaging on. Go back to real stuff, and less of it. And lots more recycled stuff. Plastics is a huge waste of finite petroleum products. We need to reasses what is important folks and do it now so the future is better for everyone, without oil crisis problems. We can do it, but it will take a national discipline to change from our bad habits to become more self sufficient.

Just some of my thoughts on this crisis that has been brewing many years waiting for "the perfect storm".

Pat

God bless everyone.

... We need to do some serious readjustment to our national thinking ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been hearing this for thirty years, through shortages and wars and high prices and I don't know what else. What would it take to change the way we live? None of the above makes our country as a whole want to give up anything we've already got, so ... what?

If any alternative energy source was economically feasible it would be in greater use already. Sure, prices are coming down, but they ALL have hurdles of their own to overcome.

And the same just-say-no-niks who claim we must stop using petroleum because it's damaging to the ecosystem also block attempts to use alternatives (solar cell production is TERRIBLE for the environment, windmills kill birds and disrupt their migration, hydropower kills and disrupts aquatic life, the production of hydrogen creates more CO2 than it saves, etc.).

Guess we go back to foraging for nuts and berries. :thumbsup:

I live about 40 miles east of Atlanta and I saw gas on the way home from work tonight for $4.69 a gallon. I know theres supply problems with the hurricane and all...but I've got 1/2 tank and I'm gonna wait a few days.

My wife filled up on her way home today, and paid $3.99. Took $75.00 to fill up.

Thing that bothers me is, thats the same gas in their inground tanks that was there when I went into work this morning and it was $2.49.

In my mind, its no different than charging a New Orleans resident $20.00 for a bag of ice. Gouging is gouging.

Oh my gosh, Samjo!!!!! Methinks you are getting gouged. That's just obscene! Heard a bit on the news that JennyG, Governor of MI is "declaring a gas emergency". Didn't get to listen to the details, I walked in to the family room and the "bit" was done, but what the heck is that?!??

Liz

Thing that bothers me is, thats the same gas in their inground tanks that was there when I went into work this morning and it was $2.49.

In my mind, its no different than charging a New Orleans resident $20.00 for a bag of ice.  Gouging is gouging.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would me too, if it weren't for the fact it goes the other way when the price drops. When it drops, they will be selling $4 gas for $3.50. They have to do it this way, otherwise gas retailers would wait until the tank price is low and fill up the station. This would lead to surges in demand and empty tanks if the retailer speculated incorrectly. The cost of gas is determined the day, or several times the day of sale. It has no official value until then. So you are paying based on what the crude price and demand is on any given day. Thats why it goes up and down so quickly.

BH

I found a few small towns around here with gas for $2.74 I'm sure it won't last long most are $3.00. I have to fillup 3x a week at 40 bucks a pop if it goes any higher I will have to quit one of my jobs to conserve gas. My question is what ever happen to the oil I heard so much about as a child that they built the alaskan pipline for?

I wonder if you have to modifiy your engine to run pure ethanol?

1 bushel of corn = 2 gallons of ethanol I'll find me a plot of land and start planting corn.

I wonder if you have to modifiy your engine to run pure ethanol?

1 bushel of corn = 2 gallons of ethanol I'll find me a plot of land and start planting corn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you can run them off ethanol, but you have problems running both because of gasolines impurities. It tends to strip the gum left by the gas and clog up your filters.

Lemme see: about 45 gallons a week usage, times 50 weeks a year. That would be 1125 bushells at the best yield for 2003 in Tennesee of 131 busshels per acre. Take into account the cost fermenting and processing it you would need about 20 acres, I guess thats doable, if you also continue to work your job.

You could also set up a methane still.

You would be a lot better off growing bell peppers or tobacco :)

BH

<Does it show that I want to retire to a farming life?>

It is at $2.79 gal as of 9am today, yesterday am was $2.49.

Won't be driving this weekend. They say not to drive anymore than you have to for awhile. Now awhile could be 2wks, 4wks or longer.

They sure could help prices if they would ease up on taxes for a few weeks or a month.

(Hits forehead) What am I thinking, government and state not collect taxes. :lol:

Barb :(